🏀 #10 Virginia vs #10 Colorado St, NCAAT FF, Tues, 19 Mar, 2110, truTV

Yeah it’ll start around 9:00

2 Likes

Jumped from +1.5 to -1.5! The people love us.

5 Likes

Here’s their Kenpom page. They make a lot of their 2s. So so on 3s. Nothing really sticks out on defense

2 Likes

Right now @DavetheWave is licking his chops at the opportunity for us to be the first 10-seed to lose a play in game.

13 Likes

Kind of a TB-ish Four Factors profile on offense (ok not this year’s version). Make shots and take care of the ball, avoid offensive rebounds like the plague.

2 Likes

I’ve watched CSU a few times. Obviously Stevens initiates a lot on offense, but the player who has stood out to me as being a versatile piece for them is Clifford. The good news is he’s a guy that Dunn can guard. I think Clifford is their most athletic player. I don’t recall them having much of a post presence so we shouldn’t have any Burns or Post type matchup issues and no need to double the post.

13 Likes

Yeah was gonna mention Clifford. He does a ton of dirty work for them on both ends of the court.

Medved is a really good mid major coach, runs a solid half court offense that generates a lot of good looks around the rim and gets his guys to play some defense. They’re a balanced team (good offensively and defensively) but outside of Clifford not overly athletic and outside of Stevens don’t have a ton of playmakers. They’re not gonna beat themselves but Dunn and Reece should be able to make an impact on the defensive end.

3 Likes

Very simplistically, Stevens might be the best PG in the country…he is that good. He initiates everything and leads the team in scoring, while averaging 7 assists per game. I love this though; it is going to be Reece’s opportunity to shine, both with his defense and showing that he “belongs” in the conversation as a top PG in college basketball. The outcome of the game will be largely dependent on which of these two gets the best of the other. I am excited for Reece to have this chance.

I am an Aztecs fan, so I watch a lot of MW games. My general takeaway is that most of the teams look a little better than they actually are because there is a lot of parity and they kind of beat up on one another. The outlier is SDSU because they have proven they can win in the tournament. Their tournament success overall has not been good…at all.

Overall, I am really pleased we drew a MW team, and this one in particular. I am optimistic!

Go Reece!! Go Hoos!

14 Likes

Yeah, they don’t grab Orebs but they also don’t turn the ball over, they defensively rebound pretty well, and UVA is #6 in highest % of assisted 3s but CSU is #2. They defend the 2 pretty well but they’re also good at running people off the 3 point line. Their opponents hit 3s at a decent clip against them but they don’t allow a lot of attempts. Also, the game could be spectacularly slow paced. When on D, UVA is #362 on pace and CSU is #360.

Just noticed that Marquette is between the two at #361 on defensive pace, while also #9 in offensive pace. That’s wild.

5 Likes

Senior-laden team

https://x.com/hoops_uva/status/1769509275741634945?s=20

6 Likes

It’s Taine time

Shaking Head No GIF by University of Virginia

19 Likes

9:10 tip Tuesday. If we win 6:50 on Thursday

7 Likes

Their 6’8 guy, Cartier, is a stretch guy. 30 threes, hits about 35%.

Probably a game for a lot of Jake and less from Buchanan and Minor.

4 Likes

Spiro Dedes, Jim Spanarkel, and Mr. Stay Hungry, Stay Humble himself as the court side reporter:

https://x.com/mattnorlander/status/1769519030270865898?s=46&t=wAzMZR-0PRGT1LpN6U5x0g

3 Likes

We have to listen to Rothstein chiming in all game… yikes. At least he has a good slogan for our team that infuriates Auburn and many other fans but especially Auburn ones.

5 Likes

Gonna need Minor to play against Scott. Dunn should get the Clifford assignment, Rohde could probably do ok guarding him but then you’re missing offense.

I think you go big with Reece/IMac/Dunn/Groves/Minor.

6 Likes

Here’s a quick video with CSU offensive actions:

As the title says, Princeton with 5-Out spacing. Explains the high 2P% and “Perimeter Cut” being their most frequent play type on Hoop Explorer:

https://hoop-explorer.com/OnOffAnalyzer?autoOffQuery=true&baseQuery=&calcRapm=true&gender=Men&maxRank=400&minRank=0&offQuery=&onQuery=&showExtraInfo=true&showGrades=rank%3ACombo&showRoster=true&showTeamPlayTypes=true&team=Colorado%20St.&year=2023%2F24&

I think GT under Pastner was a Princeton offense team. Trying to remember other notable opponents over the years who ran Princeton stuff…not sure.

5 Likes

I don’t think they’ll be too happy to be there and especially to play us. Meanwhile I’m guessing our team feels like it got a new lease on life. We seem like similar teams but we have better talent. Like our chances

4 Likes

Same here brother!

1 Like

Packline principles will help to cover some of those backcuts, but we’ve gotta be sound and make sure we’re not losing track of guys on the perimeter.

7 Likes