2 Scrimmages - UConn - 10/21 and at Maryland - 10/28

Wonder if the mutual lack of info means we will be scrimmaging UConn for years to come? Like we used to scrimmage Villanova regularly.

Wonder if Tony and Dan are friends too? Surely Dick and Bob Sr. have known each other for decades

1 Like

This would be hilarious if true. I can’t imagine two coaches more dissimilar in their game demeanor. Maybe CTB and Bob Knight?

11 Likes

It’s very impressive there hasn’t been a peep on one UVA players performance.

I am gonna fix that. If we did indeed score in the 70s our leading scorers were Reece, Rohde and Groves. We hit 12 3s. Offense was surprisingly ahead of defensive. There you have it.

7 Likes

Well Bob Jr is more unhinged than Dan lol but basketball is a small circle and they’ve probably known each other since they were teens

1 Like

Gonna be tough for Gertrude to exceed expectations. Pretty sure we’ll be able to pencil him in for 0.0 mpg/ppg/apg/rpg etc once the redshirt is announced.

4 Likes

Well, I won’t jinx him by making a PT prediction. I confidently predicted last year that Traudt would play over 200 minutes.

1 Like

Yeah, but I bet you have a bottle of Drakkar from 1992 in a box somewhere should the occasion arise.

2 Likes

I think we can all agree with 100% certainty and confidence and righteousness that the starting line up and rotation will be

Reece McKneely Bond Dunn Buchanan with a bench of

Rohde: 6th man/more opportunities to play on ball if subbed in for Reece

Gertrude: help with shutting down guards in some capabilities and can help with help-D as well at the rim.

Groves: when we want to add 3pt shooting in the front court by sacrificing other things

Robinson: who shouldn’t redshirt and can immediately help with energy, pick n roll offense, rebounding, and benefitting from on court development.

And then rest situational whenever the occasion arises.

2 Likes

Your pessimism regarding Minor is indeed Major

2 Likes

And I was the one hyping him before the blue white scrimmage (and also talking about my loathing of the Groves addition even though I understood it in the context of our roster).

Just did not come away impressed with him/seems like it lines up with HGN talking about him struggling with the packline and @Cuts_from_The_Corner hearing he was used sparingly. Also to @SaberMetrics observation from the scrimmage that there was no effort to work in Minor with Reece or the rest of the starters

2 Likes

and his pessimism regarding Harris is hair-raising, though I empathize with the PKSD.

2 Likes

Of course a TB coached team and event has a lack of information, hype, and analysis… Of course.

Please let Uva fans actually BE fans and support the team…

5 Likes

I don’t ever remember hearing much in the way of details about these secret scrimmages. Except a couple times when the box scores got passed around. That reminds me…if anybody would care to share the box score with me, that would be lovely.

20 Likes

Or that one time that they accidentally leaked us punking Georgetown lol

11 Likes

Okay. So, Dauster’s pod just dropped, which mentions the “not-so-secret scrimmage” between UVA and UConn. But, his take was, “The scores don’t matter; coaches are just trying to figure shit out by testing lineups and trying different things. I am not going to get into specifics because it’s really not helpful and we should just look at the big picture.” Sounds to me like he doesn’t really know anything because he went on to say the takeaways from the scrimmage are baked into the cake of what he shared about a practice he attended.

Nothing we haven’t figured out on our own. Sounds like it is pretty secret to me.

15 Likes

I mean honestly, is this what accounts for reporting these days? "Hey thanks for subscribing guys, remember what I said last month? Yeah just repeat that to yourselves and make up your own stats :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:”.

1 Like

Sounds like a guy who got an interview with the coach last week and agreed not to share anything

5 Likes

I think this criticism applies well to not playing the high profile charity exhibitions, but I think it is reasonable for secret scrimmages to be secret when it comes to the stats, so coaches can test out stuff without a box score getting over-interpreted.

5 Likes

How bout just be honest … too secret and don’t know much or - out of respect for both coaches I’m not divulging anything?

5 Likes

It just seems to be a bit tongue in cheek as compared to *other teams. If other teams are getting official tweets about their scores and high scorers etc. and the benefit is that it stirs up enjoyment for the fans- ie: gives them something to talk about in the weeks leading up to the season, then it just seems like it’s ANOTHER missed opportunity on our end.

If there were some real potential dangers about sharing this information then other teams wouldn’t do it at all.

Anyways- on to the next one.

5 Likes