2020 ACC All Defensive Team

Huff, Diakite, Key, Clark, Morsell

DPOY: Diakite

COY: CTB

First Team ACC: Diakite and Clark
2nd Team: Key

2 Likes

These are predictions Iā€™m assuming?

Nah, just an accurate but futile statement against the butthurt carolina acc media voters.

Diakite 1st team is the only decent prediction.

2 Likes

Gotcha. Wishful thinking but even I wouldnt put Huff Key or Morsel up as all ACC.

Diakite definitely deserves it but wilk likely fall short. Clarke also deserves it but will miss out thanks to Tre Jones bias.

2 Likes

Iā€™m confident Mamadi will be first team defense, DPOY is likely btw him and Jones. Kihei may slip onto the honorable mention or maybe even third team. Thereā€™s a number of vry good pgs in the ACC. Lykes, Jones, Anthony (injury year, but still), Johnson. Feel like Mamadi will be 2nd/3rd team, might get the bump of being the best player on the second best team.

1 Like

lol #KiheiMafia

4 Likes

Lol ACC media voters

2 Likes

Congrats to Mamadi Diakite - ALL ACC second team. Kihei Clark - ALL ACC third.

Did I hear him say Kihei was runner up for DPOY?

2 Likes

Looking at the All ACC teams I have to say Iā€™m pretty good with them. Mamadi and Kihei fell where I thought they might and they deserved it for sure. Congratulations to both of them.

3 Likes

Full Awards:

4 Likes

The most interesting part of all of that is Kihei getting votes for DPOY. Iā€™m not sure that I saw him in that conversation, but after seeing it I wonā€™t argue about it. I donā€™t see any reason why he wonā€™t garner more votes for that award as the years continue.

2 Likes

I believe each program can only ā€œnominateā€ one player for each award and it seems they nominated Kihei and not Mamadi, who, by looking at all defense team votes, wouldā€™ve had a better shot.

3 Likes

As good as Braxton is, itā€™s a little surprising to me how many votes he got. And, Iā€™m pretty shocked Jay got even a vote for MIP. And I mightā€™ve bumped mamadi up to first team in exchange for Hughes, but Iā€™m not a voter. Surprising list overall

2 Likes

Agree on both points, Braxton getting those votes was a little surprising but well deserved. Huff getting a vote did surprise me.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure what the rule is for DPOY, because for POY, schools can nominate more than one (Barrett and Zion were both getting votes last season), but it definitely is up to the schools to nominate who they want to be considered. This is why Vernon Carey got no POY votes even though he would have been a pretty good candidate for it - Duke decided they wanted to only nominate Tre Jones. Leaving it up to the schools wouldnā€™t be my first choice, as I donā€™t really like the tactical nominating that goes on.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not quite sure I understand all of this. What does stick out to me is I would have nominated Mamadi for DPOY because I believe that he definitely is the Defensive Player of the Year. Iā€™m going back in,lol

1 Like

I may be most surprised by Cole Anthony getting 3rd team. He missed about half the season. But the stats were solid

2 Likes

Canā€™t say I remember ever seeing the last place team in ACC get 2 spots on ALL ACC

Similarly with all of Dukeā€™s talent why are they no better than fourth?

The media buying Bilasā€™ ā€œTre Jones is an elite on ball defenderā€ balderdash.

I could go on all dayā€¦

2 Likes

I know that in the past, namely in 2015, this has come up as, that year, many in the media had pegged Brogdon as their DPOY vote but that he wasnā€™t put up for it; instead, Atkins was ā€˜nominatedā€™ and won it.

3 Likes

But I too am unaware as to the intricate rules. Iā€™d expect itā€™d be similar to POY, so maybe the coaching staff felt Kihei deserved it over Mamadi. Or maybe because it is an award with less defined exact criteria, teams are asked to only submit one name.

1 Like