2020 Football Season

I agree. Not sure how they pull off a season without the buvble. If the MLB cant keep their players healthy no way college kids are staying isolated. Especially the size of a football team

2 Likes

Exactly, itā€™s easily over 100 people when you include players, coaches, trainers, managers.

2 Likes

The Official 2020 schedule is out. Obviously itā€™s ACC led with one in-state out of conference rival. The biggest change/shock to me is the VT game moving to the beginning of the season.

Sept. 11 vs. VMI (Fri.)
Sept. 19 at Virginia Tech
Oct. 3 at Clemson
Oct. 10 vs. NC State
Oct. 17 at Wake Forest
Oct. 24 at Miami
Oct. 31 vs. North Carolina
Nov. 7 vs. Louisville
Nov. 14 vs. Duke
Nov. 28 at Florida State
Dec. 5 vs. Boston College

3 Likes

Holy crap! Early season games are crap shoots!

3 Likes

Esp with the janky pre-season. And no offense to VMI but they are not an appropriate warm-up for Power 5

2 Likes

@BDWhy are some of them bolded?

home and away. I pulled the formatting from 24/7

2 Likes

@BDragon Coolā€¦ thought it may have been your picks on wins/losses. Makes more sense now.

2 Likes

Haha Sadly Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d be that optimistic for wins/losses based off what I know of the team right now. A lot of 50/50 opportunities.

2 Likes

Reeaaally donā€™t like playing a more experienced VT that early

5 Likes

The Cons: What you said, also that the rest of the season becomes slightly more boring after September.

The Pros: get them early = less time for mental block to develop and we treat it like a regular game. Also another pro is that this discussion is making me hopeful/nostalgic for college football.

3 Likes

Also a lot less film on our new quarterbacks early in the season for them to work off of. Although, of course, the flip side of that coin is less time for our quarterbacks to get into a groove

4 Likes

VT early could work in our favor. Theyā€™ve had a lot of turnover as well, and will still be sorting things out likely. VT was a trainwreck early last season and got better as the season progressed.

I just worry about our QB play. How will they adjust? Who is going to be under center for the opening snap?

2 Likes

I would personally be shocked if it isnā€™t Armstrong. Heā€™s been in the system for two years, and when he has played, he has looked pretty good in my very uninformed opinion. We need two P5 caliber QBs to make it through a season, so Iā€™m really glad they grabbed Thompson, but itā€™s not like he lit it up where he was (know there are many coach-related reasons for that aside from his ability) and heā€™s new to the system/learning it in a curtailed strange offseason like weā€™ve never had before.

All that said, at the end of the day, Iā€™ll be completely fine as long as we actually pick a starter and give them a solid leash. Bronco has done that so far, Iā€™m just still scarred from the Mike London quarterback carousel.

3 Likes

I agree with you. Armstrong looked reliable and promising from what Iā€™ve seen. But Iā€™ve only seen him in mop up duty, and some brief spots. Not enough film or opportunities to make a real judgement. Thompson has some more film and from what Iā€™ve seen he is solid, but not world breaking. He does have the ability to thrive as the Throterback style hybrid that Bronco has shown an affinity for, but even with his athletic ability Iā€™m not sure how well he can spin it.

Bottom line is I totally agree with you about picking a guy and going with him. Al Groh, began his tenure at UVa with QB controversy and it felt like every year minus the last 2 years of Schaub there was musical chairs at the position. Mike London followed a similar path. I believe changing QBā€™s often is just as detrimental to a program as changing coaches and coordinators.

2 Likes

Tough start. ACC slate has 4 of first 5 ACC games on road. expect a bad early record. Reverse 4 of last 5 ACC games at home. strange non-balanced home-away schedule

2 Likes

Not about this year but if your starved for UVA sports like I am turn it to the ACC Network at 6 pm. UVA vs Clemson 1994

1 Like
1 Like

Itā€™s a giant game of chicken to see which Power 5 blinks first. Look for the Pac 12 to be the a major deciding factor

2 Likes

So where are we actually at right now? Officially I mean. Trying to keep track between all the reports of whatā€™s supposedly coming.

The MAC has canceled their season. Still the only FBS conference I believe right?

UConn also has cancelled. Any other individual programs? Iā€™ve seen mentions of ODU but not sure thatā€™s official.