2020 Recruiting Class Analysis

Just a little side note. Saw in an interview that JAR said he has grown and is up to six foot seven and a half inches!

3 Likes

After reading a 247 article listing him at 6-5 I tweeted that I thought that Jabri had told HGN (turned out to be Chris Horne at the Sabre) that he was now 6-71/2. Jabri tweeted back that he was a strong 6-7 and seemed a little annoyed that he was still being listed as 6-5.

6 Likes

I lean the same way with concern about the teams defense. This is the first year that I can remember that the Hoos donā€™t have a banger/elite defender on the interior. Huff has become a good shot blocker but he thrives on rotating from the weak side, which he was able to do because Mamadi was special. Mamadi filled a similar role the previous year playing off Jack Salt, and we can go back through Wilkins, Gill, etc. The weakness to Hauserā€™s game is his defense. Honestly Caffaro could be a secret weapon for the Hoos if they want to go big and bump Hauser to the 3 and play twin towers in the middle, not sure many matchups would warrant that but itā€™s possible.

On the outside the Hoos should be solid. Iā€™ll never doubt Kihei and Casey has already proven himself. Between the two of them they can always keep a high level defender on the court to match up opposing guards.

All that said, I have far less concern about CTB turning a team into a defensive threat than I do about him turning on a teams offense.

Pre-season polls donā€™t mean a thing look at last years and where the Hoos started, and the journey they went on. For a better example look at the 16/17 team they were unranked and had the best regular season in school history. What does matter is the pedigree of the program and the culture. Tapping into another topic on here about being a ā€œBlue Bloodā€ UVa has the track record of being able to build champions and that will continue.

4 Likes

Jabari showed poise in clarifying that he is a strong 6-7 now. This clarifying information is much appreciated in the social media world we live in. Mature young man.

2 Likes

I couldnt notice he never mentioned Kody. HINT HINT HINT

4 Likes

Kody would benefit from going to a team where his minutes would improve.

1 Like

Stattmann has shown glimpses, IMO. Heā€™s demonstrated that he can do any number of things quite well. What he hasnā€™t shown is that he can do them consistently. There are also areas of his game that need work. Of course, all this is part of development. I really wish he was in Charlottesville working with Coach Curtis to add weight, but things are what they are. It is also worth noting that there has been little mention of Shedrick in the recent comments, and, after Stattmann, he may be the most intriguing returning player Virginia has.

Edit to add: Itā€™s also worth noting that Stattmannā€™s numbers, for his second year of competition, are very similar to Devon Hallā€™s numbers for year 2. Also, Caffaroā€™s first season stats are very close to Jack Saltā€™s first year.

2 Likes

Shedrick is gonna be a very good player. He just needs to get some time in. IMO, Shedrick will play a big role in the future. Its Itā€™s almost like heā€™s the forgotten man

2 Likes

Not to say things will be the same, but itā€™s worth mentioning that in the summer of '17, no one was talking about Deā€™Andre Hunter after his redshirt year

3 Likes

Remember that Kody had an illness that caused to miss some games and left him below 100% for others ones early and then had a broken nose and concussion later in the season. I felt bad for him that it kind of mess up a season where playing time was available. He did seem improved in a number of facets of his game.

3 Likes

I think people were talking about Hunter. I remember he was mentioned extensively when the three transfers occurred

2 Likes

As I recall, Guy and Huff dominated discussions that summer. Especially Huff. There were those who were convinced he would replace Salt. I can remember discussions very similar to this one, and Hunterā€™s name never appeared. Sort of like Shedrick in this thread. I think Nigel Johnson got more bandwidth than Deā€™Andre.

Hunter was talked about during his redshirt yr and def the summer. People were ok Marial left because of Hunter. Hunter was talked about alot in the circles i traveled.

I think kody issue is internal. I will not say more.

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure Hunter was being discussed in some circles, however he was being overlooked on the message boards I was frequenting. And, discretion is always a good thing to practice on the internet. When you feel comfortable sharing, share. When you donā€™t, no one is going to question your silence!

I think everyone knows that. You can only respect opinions about things. Even if its about sharing or not sharing. In my experience some cant handle realness so im learning what I should or shouldnt share. Talking about why I think kody is not the player I hope for is one of those topics I domt think I can share up here.

1 Like

Multiple posts beating around the bush is a weird way to ā€œnot shareā€ about a topic.

6 Likes

Love Kody great kid from what Iā€™ve seen and somw legit skill. But I think he may have hit a ceiling at Uva. With the new talent coming in amd the progression heā€™s shown Iā€™m not sure he will ever develop into regular contributor. I can see him floutishing at a different place. He has some game hut Iā€™m not sure it fits the Hoos plans.

2 Likes

Because we cant handle the ā€œrealnessā€ of it all? I know there are people on this board who have additional information, but dont always share everything. Sometimes its because the information is only a rumor and not fully confirmed. Other times its because they are trying to protect the program. But they do not withhold information because the audience isnt ā€œrealā€ enough. For instance there could be certain players struggling in their role, and perhaps CTB has a plan to fix itā€¦However what if those plans are sabotaged by a discontent or entitled fan base. With CTB development program it usually requires lots of time, patience, and struggles before certain players hit their peak. Not saying this is or is not what is going on in the current situation. But what Im trying to relay is Im willing to bet that Bennett wants the UVA fan culture to be one that supports the athletes through thick or thin. So out of respect for the coaches and players, many times certain touchy topics are discussed behind the scenes in private messages.
I think nearly everyone on this board really appreciates @TUGARDā€™s insights and knowledge! But for me personally, its a bit exhausting that you still have the attitude that many of us cant handle your ā€œrealnessā€ as if we are a bunch of softies or something.
There are some insecure and entitled fans in certain facebook fan groups that seem to get angry very very fast if you have a different opinion. So that might be the location where you can find a complete lack of realness, but Its not here. I know this from first hand experience. Be real with us and share your opinion. But also always respect counter opinions. And yeah, sometimes discretion is a good thing out respect for the program, and not because your talking to a bunch of softies that cant handle your overwhelming realness. We appreciate your realness as long as that realness respects counter opinions and you have the best interest of the program in mind. Keep sharing your thoughts!

8 Likes

You may be right, but I donā€™t think that that conclusion is justified at this time. FWIW, Stattmannā€™s numbers are very similar to Devon Hallā€™s numbers at the same point in their careers. One of Coach Bennettā€™s coaching strengths, which I think we have all come to appreciate, is that most players continue to develop throughout their time in the program. Admittedly, there have been some exceptions, but I donā€™t believe it can be suggested that any given player has reached his ceiling after just two years with the staff. And, while there are some very nice prospects joining the team next fall, I believe history would suggest that Stattmann (as well as Morsell & Woldetensae) will be well ahead of any true frosh. It isnā€™t always true, but it is more often than not. In ā€˜systemsā€™, experience has elevated value, IMO. This is especially true on the defensive end of the floor.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s an interesting comparison for sure. I donā€™t think anything is set in stone and Iā€™m just speculating

3 Likes