2021/2022 Basketball Pre-Season Chat

Heh. At least there’s a reason here. But even for these, some schools will release box scores for these things. Or at least leak them to reporters.

1 Like

Im just ready to read way too much into any tidbits, even though the 2nd half of these games are usually glorified practices where they even sometimes help each other practice different scenarios.

1 Like

The Duke-never-plays-true-away-games-during-non-con rule extends to scrimmages as well I guess.

4 Likes

The ratio numbers with regard to football and basketball have been relatively consistent for quite some time. I used to dig into those numbers while on the VAF board. I’m not sensing anything out of the ordinary with regard to the financials.

Most certainly, no fan of men’s basketball should be uttering a word about what any other sport received when considering as many resource advantages that program enjoys. Basketball, baseball, tennis, softball, squash, and golf should be the most humble programs on Grounds. They are “resource rich” compared to the other sports.

1 Like

I think the issue here (from my perspective at least) isn’t that there is anything out of the ordinary with the financials or that hoops isn’t getting resources to which they’re entitled, but a couple things:

1. I don’t know what is ordinary practice w/r/t college athletics financials, so I don’t know how to find things like NCAA payout, licensing bump from the natty, etc., when I look at the financials. It may be ordinary practice or GAAP or whatever to put those numbers into the general AD column, but it’s opaque to the layman (i.e., me).
  2. There was an implication in something that Carla said recently (which, to be fair, I have only heard third-hand, filtered through message boards) that hoops isn’t breaking even on its own. I think that was in the service of convincing donors to donate more to something football-related. Which seems like a noble goal, but it seems questionable as a statement (and probably why #1 has become more of an issue).

So, to tie this up in a bow, it could be that the numbers are totally legit and by the book and are being done the way they’ve always been done, yet enable a statement to be made that might be a bit misleading to the layman.

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVDvfvEFHR0/?utm_medium=copy_link

Interesting video

10 Likes

What a weird angle to post up at down low. Also start Taine (or Carson) at the 2.

1 Like

Dude what

4 Likes

Ahhh, show 10 second clip at 1/3 speed. Boom. 30 second clip with even less information. GENIUS!

3 Likes

I’m not sure what you are trying to say here but looks like it might be interesting if restated in a clearer manner. Does the men’s basketball team actually consistently lose money? If so is that the case at other ACC schools too?

Most on here are not just men’s basketball fans btw we are alums, locals, and otherwise overall UVA fans.

i think he was saying that the basketball team (and fans who are primarily concerned with it) should not be complaining/worried about/upset about what any other program receives at UVA. I.e., they get more than what they “need”, and nobody is telling Tony “NO” to any request he makes that he says he/we need to stay where we are, as long as it’s not completely ridiculous.

re: the accounting, it’s probably hard to ever get an exact amount to say if a sport is in the black or red due to what other revenues it can drive - donations, overall merchandise sales, etc. I have no idea if basketball gets credit when i buy a new peter millar UVA polo, but it should, b/c i’m buying it to wear around Durham (where i live) during basketball season/at away games at Duke, UNC, and NCSU. I am sure there are many better examples of this, as well.

3 Likes

Tell ya what I’d feel much more comfortable with Drew Valentine as a young first time head coach than John Scheyer. Well if they were taking over remotely comparable programs that is.

Kentucky’s blue/white scrimmage is streamed on the sec network. Cant say I understand the format though. They just make every shot and dunk a lot. Boring.

Watching UNC’s scrimmage. McKoy is their worst big. Also Bradey Manek is good but Caleb Love/RJ Davis are the same. Turnover prone. Not afraid of UNC at all.

Dawson Garcia is Jay Huff without the ability to block shots. Slow feet but skilled.

3 Likes

ACCNX?

yeah but its over now.They shoot more threes I guess. Making them is another thing lol. Also a lot of turnovers and just drive and kick same move. Looks like kihei’s drive, pivot, kick out move lol.

McKoy transferred out for more freedom (which again he could have been used better maybe) only to end up being the 8th-9th man in the UNC rotation. He’ll get one shot a game but it will be a three in transition which will satisfy his freedom hunger LOL.

3 Likes

Cool. I’ll check it out on replay sometime next week.

With Armaan and Reece im not really worried about other teams guards. Of course they will get theirs though. Duke also doesn’t have that much depth with AJ Griffin’s injury.

Im worried about stretch 4s and our own 5 minute scoring droughts (where we hopefully play more taine/mccorkle to space the floor and run a little more for transition 3s).

Is Reed playing well?

1 Like

Keels is going to be very good. There’s a reason why Bennett wanted him so bad