2021 Baseball Season Stuff

I love the NCAA baseball tournament but I think since it’s not a single elimination tournament then it’s not as exciting to the average sports fan (in addition to baseball not being as popular as basketball). I’m fairly confident March Madness would lose a lot of popularity if every round was a 3 game series.

3 Likes

This and the length of games and general pace of baseball.

But, baseball is a great sport to have on in the background. With hoops, you have to be more engaged more of the time to really appreciate what’s happening in a game.

I’m a big fan of both events, so I’m good either way.

5 Likes

Baseball is hosting William & Mary at 4:00 today. Should be a win!

3 Likes

Just your 4:45 minute, 12 inning midweek grinder against William & Mary today.

UVA went into the Top of the 9th leading 4 to 3. Stephen Schoch uncharacteristically blew the save giving up a 2 out, 3 run homer after hitting the previous batter on the hand on a 2 strike count.

A Devin Ortiz double in the bottom of the 9th tied it up at 6 to force extra innings.

A bases loaded, no outs sac fly to deep center from Zack Gelof plated the winning run as UVA won 7 to 6.

UVA used 6 pitchers in the game.

W&M used an incredible 10 pitchers.

6 Likes

The Hoos have won three in a row. They’ll travel to Clemson for three this weekend (Friday - Sunday).

5 Likes

Tried to stay up and watch the end of this one, but it got too late (Central European Time). Glad we pulled it out.

2 Likes

Baseball America released an updated Field of 64 (think bracketology) projection today.

We’re the 7th team out of the field in this update. It’s an improvement of not being on the bubble in the prior update. So a little progress has taken place.

3 Likes

Baseball hits the road for three at Clemson beginning today. Clemson is currently one of the hotter teams in the ACC, so we’ll have to be on point to win this series.

The Friday game is streaming only. But Saturday is on ACC Network and Sunday is on ESPN2.

6 Likes

Clemson took game one of the series 6 to 1 today. Just a very uninspiring effort by the team in this one.

1 Like

Karl we do not appear to be very talented. A mid level A-10 team at best. One way I have judged how talented a team is if we have anyone who would start on the other team. We don’t appear to have anyone, position wise, that could start or play at any other Acc school.

Hoos bounce back tonight and win 8 to 4.

Chris Newell broke out and drove in 5 (2 run triple, 3 run homer). Zack Gelof also had a solo homer.

Alex Tappen had the effort play of the night in RF.

Series deciding game is at 1 on ESPN2 on Sunday.

4 Likes

Karl I will be honest I haven’t watched a ton of the Hoos this year. But it seemed like they played with joy tonight. Has that been typical

1 Like

Atypical. They’ve been wound tight or flat a bunch this year.

It was great to see them having fun tonight.

1 Like

Contemplating the continued use of the shift.

2 Likes

Nice to see them pull out a close one today.

6 Likes

I’d take that shift…find the nearest trash can in the Clemson visitor’s clubhouse…and leave it there for good.

We were lucky it didn’t cost us the game today.

2 Likes

The Hoos won their second straight ACC series today, both on the road. UVA won an exciting 6 to 5 game featuring an opposite field home run by freshman Kyle Teel and then some clutch, late game hitting from Brendan Rivoli and again Teel.

Closer Stephen Schoch struggled with his control and a 6 to 4 UVA lead turned into a 6 to 5 lead with 2 runners on in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs and Clemson’s best hitter at the plate. Thankfully that resulted in a drama free fly out to right field.

Old Dominion visits on Wednesday. The Monarchs have a good team this year and are hot. A win over them will be a quality win and look good on the resume and in the RPI (the RPI is gospel in college baseball).

4 Likes

When Schoch threw the wild pitch fully behind the batter and two of their runners advanced with no outs, all I could do was laugh at how we were gonna blow it. But hey, they held on!

2 Likes

That play was nuts. The guy was trying to bunt and give us an out too.

3 Likes

Game highlights…

3 Likes