2021 Recruiting: Back Where We Started

Probably not but realistically that’s going to likely be the case wherever he goes

1 Like

I get the drift that may have been a big part of the issue. However, it may not look as bad now.

I dont think he’s a one and done but at the same time I think he is a much more skilled prospect at this time. Caffaro doesnt have the mobility for the modern game and Kadin is still an unknown (I think he can be special). Earned not given goes both ways. Freshmen not guaranteed playing time and returners not guaranteed a role if they don’t perform.

1 Like

During our title run, we saw Diakite take playing time from Salt. If he earns it, you could see the same.

1 Like

HGN, what’s the latest on Bryson Spell? Do you see Virginia offering?

No.

10 Likes

I am sure that Reid will be a fine player and if he comes to UVA I hope he becomes a star but under TB it seems the bigger you are the longer it takes to develop. So if he is going to send 2 experienced 4 star recruits to the bench as a pure freshman I will be surprised.

Reid has some offensive skills but he is light years away from being able do what’s required of our big guys defensively. He would get absolutely abused trying to defend ball screens and from what little I’ve seen on film I’m not sure that other than being tall he projects as much of a rim protector.

You also have to wonder who’s advising this kid about his future. There’s nothing about him athletically that would ever suggest the NBA will be beating down his door anytime soon. The NBA wants guys like Wiseman and Okongwu at the 5 spot.

Reid needs to understand that he’s probably a four-year college guy and best-case scenario a role player in the NBA. What’s more likely is that he’ll bounce around overseas after college, unless he makes some major, major strides physically.

Anyway, regardless of where he goes, it will be interesting to see what happens with him as a player.

1 Like

Neither are as polished offensively as Efton but yeah there’s nothing wrong with being a 3-4 year player. None of the other schools are going to give him any more of a chance than we are to make it to the NBA with his skill set regardless.

3 Likes

Some people don’t come from a place of privilege where they can afford to wait for 3-4 years.

Agree he’s not a OAD. Pitt or another middle of the road high major may be his best bet though where they can make him more of a focal point. He won’t get that at UVA.

His development at UVA could mean more $ and a longer tenure in possibly the NBA or overseas.

1 Like

I’ve felt weird about this whole recruitment since last year when someone here mentioned that Eftons mom/camp were unhappy TB didn’t come to one of his games despite the fact that uva had a game the same night

1 Like

Sounds like Efton would be a great candidate for our system which maximizes a recruits potential. One and done schools arent going to massively improve your skill set. If he is willing to put the work in, seems like UVA should be a top option for him.

Look at Jay Huff four years ago…Was he even 200lbs. at the time? I dont know much about Efton yet, but Im willing to bet he would have a higher ceiling than Jay and I’d love to have him on our squad. Glad to hear that there is more communication happening with him recently.

4 Likes

I don’t profess to know Eftons situation but getting to go to school for free and getting exposure that may allow him to play professionally in the NBA or overseas should be worth it to wait 3-4 years…that’s a better opportunity than most college kids get that are most likely in similar situations to Efton… just saying…

3 Likes

Well said and it would appear his camp is coming around to this realization…although with what has gone on I wonder if this has sailed for CTB and he just could care less if they come back to UVA or not…

1 Like

I did get the impression we reached an impasse with his camp. The comments his mother made and the route his recruitment veered towards seemed indicative of someone feeling slighted and / or seeing a quicker and more glamorous path. With many of these kids, they are being fed all kinds of things and then CTB usually is candid and honest with his plan. This can create a “we’ll show you” attitude from some. Later, some realize CTB’s plan for them may have been the most honest and beneficial. That’s why we are so attractive to transfers who have signed elsewhere. They have come to the realization that the grass isn’t always greener, elsewhere.

1 Like

It does appear that CTB will move on from a prospect. I appreciate that about him and think that this will pay dividends in future recruiting. You can see where we may be headed. I remember reading the quotes from CTB’s former assistant coach who recruited Thompson to WSU. He commented that they usually gave a player 48 hours when given a commit-able offer, or something to that effect.

1 Like

I don’t think that that was a simple case of Diakite supplanting Salt. First, as I understood it at the time, Salt was having back issues (or, some injury issues of some sort) during the post season run. Secondly, a lot of that was situational, too. I think defensive match-ups dictated a lot of the playing time. I believe Coach Bennett will always adjust the rotation to mitigate match-up issues presented by opposing teams, just as he will always try to exploit Virginia’s opponents’ match up problems.

2 Likes

I can agree with that. CTB does like to play chess with matchups. Recently, he has had more options to work with.

2 Likes

Hmmmm I think Diakite was breaking out for himself at the right time and became impossible to keep him off of the floor. Also, as we have discussed, the flow of the team changed and opened up and that was better for Mamadi

15 Likes