2022 Baseball

But we’ve been killing these teams. I think that’s worth something.

1 Like

Oh I agree, that’s why I’d at least have us in the 20-25 range. I’m not completely defending them. Just, if you do an evaluation of a team in the preseason and have a reason to not have them ranked (eg big questions about pitching), you probably want to value that evaluation to some degree and not just throw it out when a team thrashes some terrible squads. Maybe the evaluation was straight up wrong, but I won’t fault them for not backing off their opinion quite yet when we’re crushing like Cornell and a bad PSU team. It’s still super early in the season.

2 Likes

I can agree with that… but it shows the inconsistency in polls in general.

In lacrosse, UVa was the preseason #1… they are 6 - 0, but somehow they are now #2… if the D1Baseball philosophy was in place, they would still be #1… they have also beaten some pretty good teams in those 6 wins.

I think some poll inconsistency is good to be honest. If all the polls agree on everything, not much value in having multiple. And when they do agree on something, you can probably put more stock in it if they’re disagreeing about other things.

As for lacrosse, I’m fine with a team falling despite being undefeated if another team has put up more impressive results. That seems entirely rational. I think we fell to 2 after the first couple weeks when we struggled slightly out of the gate while Maryland pounded better teams. I’ve got no problem there. Just hopefully they continue to apply that logic going forward as we rack up impressive results.

1 Like

Gelof 3-run HR to of the 4th… Hoos up 3-0!

Gelof homers again… top 6… 4 - 0 Hoos!

Gelof has been insane to start the year.

2 Likes
2 Likes

3 - 0 Hoos after the top of the first. Could’ve been more as they left the bases loaded, but great start for the second game vs Duke!

Did they play yesterday?

No, two games today.

1 Like

6 - 1 Hoos… bottom of 3rd

Why does duke look like they’re wearing Carolina blue?

10 - 1 Hoos… got out of a bases loaded no out jam in the bottom of the 5th too!

3 Likes

12 - 1 bottom of 6th… rollin’

1 Like

Duke’s not great, but they aren’t terrible. Hopefully UVA will get some credit for adding them to the list of teams they’ve mauled.

1 Like

So this Jake Berry who is pitching right now… 6’10… why weren’t we talking about him for the emergency big on the bball team this year? He lettered 3-years in basketball in HS!

2 Likes

We have a 6-10 shooter who didn’t play at UVA who played 2 seasons of professional ball already…

1 Like

It was really just a joke… more about how much everyone wringed their hands about the lacrosse player. LOL!

2 Likes

13 - 1 Hoos… bottom of 8th. Whole lot of first years are now in.

Edit: 13 - 1 final in first game… game 2 starts in 45 mins.

2 Likes