2022 Recruiting Offers (New Thread)

I think Traudt would play a lot more 5 than 3 at UVA

1 Like

If he grows 3 inches. But not Traudt has true ball handling skills. Even plays point guard for his team. He will play some 3. He will not play the 5 unless we failed somewhere in recruiting. Even in small ball we will play a Mamadi-like center.

Isn’t Traudt a 3/4 also? Concerned if we don’t get a 4/5 combo in next 2 classes.

1 Like

5 man recruiting class bb. They’ll get one, even if it’s a transfer this offseason.

If Murphy goes NBA next season we have 4 schollies for 2022 with no other transfers (there will be transfers).

3 Likes

These two statements contradict each other. Trey is very much a 3 at this point. Maybe even more of an extra tall 2. He could grow into a true combo forward like Braxton and Sam this offseason if he fills out and works on his game in the paint. But at this point I’d put Traudt in Hauser/Key category rather than the Murphy mold.

Dre could fit either category depending how you want to look at it. Initially recruited as a guard but when he became an All American he was a 4 who could slide to the 3. Maybe if we are lucky we land Traudt and he’s so good he checks both categories too.

2 Likes

I may be wrong but it seems like both Bobi and Traudt are interchangeable between a 3/4 which is a good thing, I just hope they are athletic enough to match up with the FSU, Baylors, and dooks of the world (we deserve that type of talent). With that said I would still want a super athletic 4/5 in each class from now on. Transfers and prospects looking at us now hopefully can envision themselves and see that is what we’re lacking. :+1:t5::+1:t5::+1:t5:

3 Likes

Traudt I feel can play both roles. Heck Murphy can play the 5 for us in small ball but probably shouldn’t. I think Traudt is getting recruited as a stretch 4 who can play some 3 but he he as the handles to be that murphy clone as well. But yeah those two statements do contradict lol. The age of positionless basketball with all these players who can play 3 roles.

3 Likes

Lee Dort, Dereck Lively, and Taylor Hendricks. Also Maliq Brown maybe (who is also a reclass candidate).

2 Likes

Honestly Murphy is probably our best slashing/scoring guard who can also shoot, so I would line for our coaches to have more action with him going to the basket.

1 Like

Murphy gets dunks and can finish against contests, but he isn’t the one who is creating those looks, he is more a finisher than anything else. 74% of his baskets at the rim are assisted (by contrast, Kihei is at 8% of baskets at the rim assisted, Reece at 33%, Casey at 53%). Getting all the way to the basket off the dribble is definitely the next growth area for him on offense.

6 Likes

Just film. Not even recent as far as competition. I think this is one Johnny Carpenter has been working. He’s formed a lot of connections overseas. Obviously Bennett got on board with it the more they studied and talked to him. All about potential here. Elite talent that probably needs some refining. That’s what UVA does. Little surprised they went ahead and offered but word has been this is the guy they were quietly zeroed in on as the wing for '22. He’s getting more attention lately, Kansas offer etc. Probably a result of the media reports, interviews he’s done.

What separates Klintman from Traudt is who they’re capable of guarding. Klintman should be able to guard 2-4, and has potential to be a real lockdown perimeter guy. Whereas Traudt is more 4-5 there. That’s what position always comes down to.

21 Likes

Very early in the season when we were doing some 5 out sets, Murphy was able to get into the lane some and either got fouled or dunked. I know we went away from that but that may be a wrinkle to revisit, due to his shooting and the respect that it commands. Perhaps some pick and pop-pump fake and drive.

1 Like

HGN, with Klintman being an international prospect what would you anticipate or what have you heard about the potential timing of a decision?

I would have to think based on the interviews he has given that this offer would mean quite a bit to him.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s a big offer to him. We’re in good shape as things stand. But I don’t know if it’s quite like that. I’m sure he’d like to come over and take visits. Just feel comfortable with everything ya know. And I do expect that to be allowed this summer. Coaches going out is another story.

3 Likes

Is there a site that has these kinds of stats?

Nunez/Trimble
McKneely
Bobi
Traudt
[young Clint Capela]

Roll the ball out there.

8 Likes

Article from a few weeks back. This is the 2nd recruit (I think Traudt or someone else was the first) I’ve read about whose dad wouldn’t let them shoot threes at a young age until they developed proper shooting form.

8 Likes

@HoozGotNext do you really only see him as guarding only a 4-5? I’ve only watched a few highlights but saw him as capable of sliding down to 3s as well. His lateral quickness seemed decent to me.

1 Like

Yes, check Bart Torvik’s site and click on a player profile from the team page. Here’s the link to Virginia’s: T-Page for Virginia - Customizable College Basketball Tempo Free Stats - T-Rank

1 Like

Talking Traudt here to be clear. It’s possible he could be used as a guard but general rule players slide down not out from HS to college. You won’t find many guys defending bigs in HS end up college guards. Other thing is tall kids at that age tend to have more growth left. He might end up 6’11 yet. We once got a 6’9 Jay Huff to commit at the same age.

4 Likes