2022 Recruiting Scenarios

Yea it’s just kind of weird we haven’t offered at this point. Even Kentucky has offered kids. Maybe now that the early signing period for 2021 is over we will start to see some offers go out? Otherwise I’m not sure what will change between now and when the dead period finally ends.

Getting Keels seems bigger than the program. It’s not how we built our program.

1 Like

Good point. With the season starting in a week you’d think the time for those ‘offer’ Zoom calls would be now.

1 Like

I would offer McKneely and let the first between he and Keels take it.

4 Likes

This is how TB sees it. Recruiting=his attention. That’s how it’s measured, The rest, including offers to an extent, is seen as sort of fake. They’re avoiding anything fake in recruiting is what it amounts to. Noble intentions all around… Product of some bad experiences with a couple recruits pushing them in this direction. But well there’s a reason everyone else plays that game. Especially early, it’s hard for kids to understand. Even more so when coaches aren’t allowed out.

9 Likes

Agree it’s noble but seems like a miscalculation and maybe even a bit naive during a pandemic. Tony’s going to have to make some decisions before he is able to get out on the trail again. That’s just the reality of Covid. Better to make them now when almost all of the ‘22 kids are on the board than be in the same situation in March but the possible pool is smaller.

2 Likes

:thinking:

2 Likes

My opinion to be clear. I don’t think that’s the only reason though. Something I’ve harped on for years is they pretty much never get early targets unless TB has a lot of personal involvement. So really all they’ve done is eliminate, or in cases delay, offers until he’s ready to do that. In other words, until they really really want them lol This 2022 stuff is a unique animal because there’s been almost no evaluation. I believe even when offers are made they’re not gonna be real firm.

2 Likes

Definitely sounds like we need listen to your warning about not getting invested in the early names. Guessing they will all be down the road with staffs that are making moves now by the time our staff has a chance to evaluate 2022.

I do wonder about that…how many programs are going to get to the first in-person evaluation period next year and realize they need to be pulling back offers they made?

5* MJ Rice at Oak Hill mentions UVA contact but Im not sure if its anything more than the June 15th reach out. Transfered there from Durham Academy and Duke is also in contact with him. He did tear his ACL so schools were waiting to see; so far he looks fine and has been producing at an elite level.

Would continue our North Carolina pipeline if we did pursue him any further.
https://www.si.com/college/recruiting/basketball/mj-rice-oak-hill-academy-warriors-steve-smith-recruiting-duke-florida-state

1 Like

Hoosandtrue I told you this and you said somebody told you no about MJ. That was weeks ago and I dont know how involved. Its hard getting info these days you can trust.

I literally have only heard about MJ from you tu LOL.

Im assuming he could be the brogdon guard role if we don’t land Keels. Im just assuming that since hes a top recruit he wants to leave to the league as soon as he can but he hasn’t said anything like “i’m a one and done” in any interview ive seen. Seems very much to be a one day at a time guy, especially with the acl tear I beat that humbles one a lot at a young age.

Nah, I dont think he is top on our list. He did look good last week.

1 Like

Condensed game vs Mikey Williams (one of those hot shot big instagram following ballislife recruits). He looks AMAZING. Solid frame, aggressive defense, good 3 point shooting, played some point guard and made some solid assists.

ESPN (outdated rankings) has him top 10 but 247 (goal rankings) has him 34 I think which is more in our range as well.

The game been on ESPN almost everyday since last Thursday.

1 Like

The last time I watched ESPN outside a UVA football/basketball game and the NBA drafts is like 5 years ago.

3 Likes

Other than UVA basketball I’m well over 2 decades without that network. It’s fantastic.

3 Likes

I used to religiously watch pardon the interruption and around the horn. I think getting a job with non-regular hours and also my affinity for post work naps increasing killed that habit.

2 Likes

PTI been my show for longer than I can remember. Parents watched it every day while my mom was pregnant with me lol.

2 Likes