2022 Recruiting

Based on who we are involved with this year, it appears we are recruiting at a different level. This doesn’t mean we won’t choose to offer but we can afford to be more selective. We aren’t going to take someone just because they are in our backyard either.

1 Like

Guess who was a B/C camp girl back in the day!image

She was turning heads before letters!

2 Likes

Vanna!

1 Like

hahaahaha. who flagged it?

3 Likes

Zirkle starting trouble, figures. :rofl:

2 Likes

Whoa

1 Like

Canada? Why is a dude from SC going to prep in Canada

I was reading about a guy who supposedly is 7-3 230 pounds, and was a junior this past year at a tiny high school in eastern Kentucky. His name is Bol Kuir, and he somehow came from war-torn South Sudan to eastern Kentucky, where his high school coach is an alum of the University of Kentucky.

He grabbed 42 rebounds in a game this year. There are videos of him on MaxPreps.com, as well as him being interviewed. Is he really 7-3? He averaged 17 points and 18 rebounds a game this past year. He had to sit out his sophomore year due to high school transfer reasons. The problem is that COVID-19 screwed up sports the past 2 years, but still even if he had played no games, you would think looking at his game film that if he were even half as good as one video hypes him to be (“the next Wilt?”) that he would be a household name in the overhyped world of high school sports. If you Google him and watch him, tell me your thoughts.

1 Like

He looks agile and smooth to me. If this was his first year playing ball looks like crazy upside. Also BelfryKY is kind of a hot bed for hoops in the state I think.

1 Like

Clip 1:

Clip 2:

Phenom Hoop Report:

1 Like

The issue with any one that big is that they are super slow (outside Ralph) and therefore terrible hedgers.

Do you think Tony Bennett looks at that guy and thinks, “He’s super slow.”? This guy doesn’t look slow, actually. If he has the grades, he could redshirt his first year just to learn the system, and after the next year, he might be good enough to go pro. I was very impressed by that long jumper he hit from the corner in one of these videos. He had perfect form on his jumper!

2 Likes

The ACC is going to be a new league soon.
The legendary coaches who are in their 70’s will probably retire: Boeheim after he coaches both of his sons this season, Larranaga very soon, and maybe Leonard Hamilton. Hopefully.

Tony Bennett and Coach Young from Virginia Tech might be the ones that everyone else in the conference is chasing.

Hey, everyone in the ACC was chasing us this past year. We finished in sole possession of first place in the regular season. The ACC doesn’t officially recognize a regular season champion in men’s basketball, but I think they’re going to have to start.

There is absolutely no chance the top programs in the ACC will be chasing Mike Young and VT for any real stretch of time.
They’ll have a quality team this year though.

2 Likes

Don’t sell Mike Young short. He is a very good X’s and 0’s in game coach. He also is proving that he and his staff can get the attention of quality talent. Like Tony he has a system. He coached his ass off against us in Blacksburg last year. One of the few times i have seen Tony lose a chess match. With the retirement of Roy and K Tony sits atop the ACC coaching pecking order. For pure coaching acumen i am hard pressed to place any other coach in the league above MY with the possible exception of Leonard Hamilton.

3 Likes

Although I’m a UVa alum, I am impressed with Mike Young. For one thing, he seems to have class. He’s not a jerk like some other coaches. He doesn’t put his foot in his mouth and embarrass his school. He doesn’t really have any charisma, but he’s not a coach who makes himself “the game,” like Rick Pitino did. He also seems to have some skill at spotting unknown recruits and developing them. He’s not a great coach, but he’s going to stay at Tech, unlike Buzz Williams, who was always looking for a higher-paying job.

Virginia Tech has to have the darkest home court in college basketball, but he is able to use that to his advantage. Maybe the visiting team can barely see the baskets, because it’s like shooting at night in your driveway without any driveway lights on. But obviously Tech players are used to that nonsense, so they wisely use that for their advantage.

2 Likes

Yea he’ll have them competitive but let’s be real. Even when he got things rolling at Wofford he won what, 4 conference titles in 10 years? That man is going to stay ahead of Duke and UNC with the worst facilities in the league? No way.

6 Likes

I don’t think VT will suplant Duke and UNC consistently by any means. But MY has proven from a pure coaching perspective that he can compete with them. That game in Blacksburg against UVA last year was a coaching masterpiece and became a blueprint for every other coach in th ACC on how to play UVA which began a stretch of losses. Tony being the great coach he is made adjustments and won the regular season title. But that game proved that MY can be a problem.

1 Like

I mean Kevin Keatts has given CTB and UVA trouble and I don’t think anyone is going to anoint NC state the next king of the ACC. Everyone gives MY a lot of credit for finishing fourth in one of the worst ACCs this century. And he only did so after avoiding pretty much all of VTs hardest games

10 Likes

I think that Young is a very good coach, but no team benefited more from fortuitous Covid canceled games than VT. And the fact that UVA won the ACC with its third worst team in the past past eight years attests to the historic weakness of the league. Let’s wait and see how VT does over the next three years before placing Young among the top three coaches in the ACC after Williams, K, and Boeheim have left.

3 Likes