💀 2023-2024 UVA men's basketball post-mortem

I think with the NIL commitments we can get back to getting power 5 level transfers/kids who were former 4 stars that we have previous relationships with and can view as high ceiling developmental pieces who can also impact the game right away.

Familiarity with the system is semi-overated. Wings like Dunn and Murphy having an immediate impact. Guards having an immediate impact out of HS (Harris Guy Jerome Perrantes Brogdon Reece etc.).

Our issues are 33% schemes on both ends, 66% talent (coming from the laziness post natty in terms of evaluations and striking out hard on top targets to blue bloods).

Basically what Im saying is

Blue Cain, McKneely, Tyrell Ward, Ven Lubin, Buchanan.

1 Like

When Bliss had his surgery it was said that it was done so that he would be fully recovered for work outs in June. There have been multiple posters saying that they are concerned that he will not be ready for next season. Has there been any follow up announcements or people with inside info that this will be more than a 6 month or longer recovery?

2 Likes

I imagine if target a PG or combo guard in the portal it will be either a sign that the staff thinks Bliss wont be ready enough and/or Harris is not going to play much next season.

I would like one more PG just as an insurance policy. Bliss should play next year but the question is will he be ready for 25 MPG or is he more at the 8-12 MPG level? At the other end, I’d be kind of okay with having Rohde be PG1 while Bliss gets his sea legs.

Rohde, IMac, Bond, Transfer 4, Transfer 5
Bliss, Gertrude, Taine, Cofie, Buchanan

I want Harris nowhere near the rotation next season

1 Like

This is the prevailing sentiment from UVA fans everywhere right now. I think a Chance McMillian type who we reached out to last offseason would be perfect. Could handle the the ball some but gives you a shooting threat and someone who can create their own shot. If Bliss isn’t ready you then have two guys who can fill in by committee

1 Like

Man if we had a guy with these numbers this year :confused:

1 Like

jk nevermind that free throw shooting percentage. And even the 3pt shooting percentage for a non pg guard. Meh

Yeah I’m not sure why people think Blue Cain would’ve made a major difference for us this year. Sure he’s been fine as a freshman and better than Rohde, but that’s not really saying much.

The thing about rebuild years is that they are completely frustrating being in them, and you don’t know often have a guarantee yet that there is something on the horizon. Those teams generally feel like not living up to their potential and being frustrated with dumb mistakes or that the pieces don’t fit.

So I don’t think people would feel good about that overall - same with how coaches haven’t felt good about it and instead gone into the doom spiral of transfers as St Lou called it.

(I realize I just described our team this year. Not intentional. I wouldn’t put money on next year being better than this one, at least with our current pieces and assumptions)

1 Like

I don’t think transfers are the issue. I think the quality of transfers and the lack of thorough evaluation of portal targets is the issue.

And then when those portal targets are mediocre and we have heavy game evidence of such we still default to them over the inexperienced young talent we do have.

We get the worst of both worlds.

2 Likes

We need a point guard that can shoot comfortable and has a floater game and is fearless and vocal.

We need dynamic wing defenders who can also hit an open 3 and can lock up.

We need shooting guards who can also attack close outs hard and hunt their shot

We need both consistent scoring in the front court and ideally floor spacing.

The last 3 years we have had none of this outside of McKneely’s flashes. I am still a big Reece fan though and think he would thrive in a better roster situation.

2 Likes

Portal recruiting is 180 opposite Tony’s normal process. And, when we are getting lower ranked transfers from < P5 … we have to take on more “bust” risk than UNC or others that are buying at the top of the pile.

1 Like

Which is why the NIL news has me more hopefully than the end results of this season ever could lol. This season was a lost cause after the VT and Duke blowouts (some may argue farther back). We weren’t good, and a lot of our rotation isn’t returning next season.

This offseason could reset the program in the best way possible if we use it right.

Really do think this is the offseason where Tony either becomes Boeheim or Wright.

4 Likes

I’m hoping Robinson will be a beast with some playing time. Buchanan has me a little worried

4 Likes

Maybe we can pick up a 300 lb center to guard Burns and others

2 Likes

Finally, a Robinson mention. When I look at everyone’s roster list there are two names that are never on them: Robinson and Sharma. Is this because we are assuming Robinson likely won’t be ready, and Sharma will RS?

2 Likes

Classic “crap on the potential of the true freshman big man who had to battle 5th years while going all in on the redshirt guy we’ve never actually seen” hot take.

2 Likes

To be fair even staff preseason and those who attended the blue white scrimmage saw maybe more potential in Robinson. We’ll see.

2 Likes

A player you haven’t yet seen play remains excellent; once you’ve seen him play, his ability inevitably drops. It’s called the observer effect. Basic quantum mechanics.

5 Likes

Yeah, let’s not kid ourselves, Robinson as a true freshman would have been equally overwhelmed by three straight games of PJ Hall, Quinten Post, and DJ Burns.

“BuT hE lOoKeD gOoD aT tHe ScRiMmAgE!”

Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

1 Like