21-22 post-mortem

St Lou Hoo Part 2 - What went wrong?
https://hoosplace.com/2022/04/05/basketball/7214/
I have only just glanced at, but it seems to me that one way to break down the answer to that question is, to what extent were the following true, and if true, to what extent did they contribute:
(1) recruiting sagged since 2016
(2) continuity sagged year over year because of the portal and NBA early entry
(3) Tony made some less than ideal in-year personnel choices

I think everyone would put #1 as the main reason, and then we’d all quibble over whether 2 or 3 were (a) true, and (b) significant factors.

… okay just reading a bit, and re: my #3, St Lou lists a 3-fold plan to make shooting better in the preseason: (1) Armaan; (2) Kihei/Reece improvement; (3) 1 M emerging. But then none of those things happened, and Tony’s plan was just … I don’t know … ignore it? (As Geddy Lee reminds us, doing nothing is a choice)

2 Likes

And feels like part of the recruiting sag was swinging for 5 stars and then not having/landing a close replacement.

4 Likes

That incredibly long diatribe on entitlement was kind of bizarre and seems ancillary to the issues involving recruiting and talent evaluation misses. It is also possible - not really discussed - that JAR and Carson had high school foot injuries right before coming to uva that could have sapped some of the athleticism needed for the uva system. Teenagers are teenagers and sometimes them not panning out is not due to them having irredeemable personality traits or that Tony Bennett mentally destroyed them: rather, projecting your whole future at 16/17 years old is necessarily hit or miss. Hopefully we return to the hits soon

3 Likes

Yeah, basically inclined to agree.

1 Like

Kihei/Reece improvement did eventually happen, though.

2 Likes

Agree, just not enough (on shooting) to fix the issue.

3 Likes

Not enough for either to be a 2 guard like ever

1 Like

Talent (offense and defense). Size. Athleticism. … at a top 15 nationally level.
We had that at 1 position last year. One.

1 Like

^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^

No more blowing off Llewelyn types to chase Keel types. Shoot your shot then move on.

1 Like

We were swinging because we had players already on the roster (who eventually transferred). Hindsight yeah it was bad but only high ranked kids would join an already full roster

Please please please keep swinging for the five stars. You win national championships with top level talent that is first round NBA caliber

5 Likes

I don’t think the issue is swinging for the five stars - I agree with you. I think the issue is not sufficiently making the case to our back-up options. When we’ve lost out on high profile five-star recruitments recently, instead of getting a high or mid-level four star as plan B, we’ve too often had to resort to option Cs from overseas or really rough and low-rated prospects. That’s what’s messed things up (in addition to Morsell, Jabri, McCorkle, and Igor all not working out).

4 Likes

It all could be worse. We could be Auburn fans. UVA twitter putting out all kinds of stuff today about beating them in the Final Four three years ago to the day has that fan base triggered.

12 Likes

Its too easy. Hilarious Dubs

4 Likes

Good video. Armaan’s answer cracked me up

May 4, 2022 - 1,880 likes, 16 comments - Virginia Men

6 Likes

Lol a Jay Huff sighting too!

3 Likes

I can already shoot 60 from 3 so I will choose the dunks…

4 Likes

Im working on my dunks too

2 Likes

@Hooandtrue

To answer your questions:
More shooting
Yes
Yes

Not sure why those guys down-transferring proves (or, IMO, even buttresses) the notion that Tony made the right call to de-emphasize perimeter shooting.

Look at the end of the first half miami. I agree we needed more shooting but we need athletic shooters. We needed more taine.

Carson would give up 100 points (do hate he got yanked for a simple turnover vs UNC though) and Igor was clanking a lot of the time/yeah floor spacing but he wasn’t at a point where he would have given us more than Jayden in those minutes.

1 Like