'21 Virginia Football

I assume by current situation you mean nowhere near good enough. But our path is infinitely easier than, say, Vanderbilt. Hell, Cincinnati’s path was harder this year than Pitt’s.

1 Like

Not good enough and even the path while clear isn’t crystal clear. Winning the ACC doesn’t guarantee a spot in the playoff. But yes the ACC is about as soft of Power 5 as you can play in and have a shot at the playoff.

But I meant more with NIL shifting how teams are built and set to perform, there’s 0 chance Virginia gets positioned to compete in those recruiting wars. There’s a reason Saban and Smart came out two days again shouting for NIL reform and it’s because they know even with the money their programs have they can’t compete with the oil money of the A&M LLC, the shoe money in Oregon, or the pure splash and flash of Coach Primetime. If the golden standard of college football is firing off warning shots about that, what chance does a UVa have?

Pff, you say that like its complicated to solve.

All we need is for a UVA alum to start a global, multi-billion dollar sports/sports related company (probably apparel, but there might be other options) and then whole-heartedly (and wallet-ed-ly) support investing in UVA athletics AND make UVA sports part of their overall marketing strategy.

Easy-peasy.

6 Likes

Yeah, it’s ironic that a school with a $15 billion endowment won’t compete in that game. Just not in our DNA to throw money willy nilly at sports.

1 Like

Solution: PTJ’s wife likes yoga so PTJ buys lululemon and all the teams wear yoga pants for uniforms (hear me out…they’re orange yoga pants).

4 Likes

I’m listening…

1 Like

Well the pitch to recruits is pretty simple: “ok so you get mad NIL money and all you have to do is wear these yoga pants.”

But then of course the rationale for PTJ to get behind this idea is also simple because lululemon sales will go through the roof because of the marketing value of 350 lb offensive linemen in yoga pants.

I really think this could work.

3 Likes

Good work. I think we’re done here.

1 Like

I mean football pants basically are yoga pants so they could pull it off.

Now who do we have to liquor up to get thia deal moving?

3 Likes

Lululemon has something like a $50 billion market cap. PTJ ain’t that rich.

2 Likes

I know you guys are joking around, but 1) apparently lots of football coaches wear Lululemon khakis and 2) the company’s market cap is 50 billion which is approximately 7x PTJ’s net worth. A more plausible sports apparel company is Gildan.

I wonder if Eric Anderson would see any value for a space tourism company supporting a college football team. Doubt it.

1 Like

I shouldn’t’ve left my post in draft for an hour while doing other stuff.

1 Like

It’s $45 billion with a net cash balance sheet. We borrow $50 billion from the endowment. Paul puts up a few billion. I contribute one hundred dollars and my expertise in yoga for a 10% equity position and we have ourselves a deal.

4 Likes

Bro you are totally missing the point. 5 star recruits aren’t signing on to reap the benefits from NIL money from a lesser-known Hanes brands (Which is in UNC’s pocket btw).

At a minimum we are going to need to be sponsored by Hoka One One

3 Likes

Gildan owns American Apparel. Which is a has been that was only popular for a few years a decade and a half ago.

What we need is a crypto billionaire who might sponsor Twitch streams and buy NFTs of our guys. Someone who just got lucky and has no real plan for the money and wants to hang out with the cool jocks.

3 Likes

No one is rocking Gildan. @WFS_HOO is right no ones getting hype for that. Hell Jordan brand isn’t a selling point for the schools who use.

But crypto now you’re talking. Miami is rebuilding their program thx to south beach crypto bros and borrowing from the rev generated by the med school. That’s a plan I can get with.

12 Likes

Ok, I’m cool with this.

4 Likes

This week I’m on a virtual symposium with the US Air Force Academy Superintendent and Director of Admissions as I’m an Air Force Reservist attached to USAFA. Was supposed to fly there on Monday, but it was moved to virtual on Sunday.

When I saw the text a few hours ago, I unmuted myself and told the 3-Star General and Colonel, along with the rest of the attendees (mostly USAFA alumni), that we stole their DC… it ruined the mood for the next 10 minutes while folks took pot shots at me telling me UVa only plays rich kid schools, should stick to drinking wine and cheese and why did we have to steal coaches from a service academy?! LOL!

14 Likes