šŸ—ž Articles Today on Dan Hurley and Rick Barnes adapting their approaches

Well a lot of that is having good offensive talent at pretty much every position. We had pretty much no guard offensive talent in 21 and yet we finished 17th due to incredible offensive talent in the forward positions and in spite of being one of the worst rebounding and FTA teams in the country.

Iā€™m not saying we shouldnā€™t change things, but Iā€™m mostly saying we should try to get better players.

1 Like

I memory-holed that weā€™ve done the ā€œbring in the outside person to consult on offenseā€ move more recently than the Kirk Penney thing:

Indeed, Virginia was experimenting with a wholesale change in the way it approached offensive basketball. The system Bennett had installed ā€” a free-flowing read-and-react style that prioritizes positionless play and the intuitive decision-making of the players on the floor ā€” is the brainchild of Noah Laroche, the owner of Integrity Hoops, an NBA developmental consultancy that has worked with Blake Griffin, Russell Westbrook, and other professional basketball players. Laroche is a former Division III player at St. Josephā€™s of Maine. After hitting a low offensive point, Larocheā€™s coach, Rob Sanicola, asked his former player to help him install an entirely new offense. In 2018-19, the first full year of the offenseā€™s installation, St. Josephā€™s averaged 93 points per game, more than 20 per game more than it had the season before.

It did not stick.

2 Likes

Lasted about 1.5 games

I have no idea what to make of that when TB wanted new offensive ideas, he went way off the grid for them (I guess not so far off if Xs and Os accounts were making YouTube videos about them).

1 Like

https://x.com/sam_vecenie/status/1771040968894271704?s=46

Posted this in another thread- but might just start dumping awesome sets/plays I see in the NCAAT in the hopes I can manifest change :pray:t2::pray:t2:

6 Likes

The Xs and Os thread might be a good spot for the NCAAT plays:

Specifically related to UVA, I actually think those kinds of set plays after timeouts or in special situations have been relative strengths for TB (I donā€™t have numbers, just vibes).

https://x.com/halfcourthoops/status/1114690434725568512?s=46&t=wAzMZR-0PRGT1LpN6U5x0g

Itā€™s actually very curious that he can be so creative with the set plays andā€¦less so with the base continuity offenses. Corollary to this is that he is also pretty good at diagnosing zone defensesā€™ weaknesses and manipulating them.

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/CJMooreHoops/status/1771903332770095475

3 Likes

The good news about the particular flameout this year is, there is no more denying the issue or any tribalism about efficiency, control, pace, etc. It is readily apparent to 99% of our fanbase that this is the red alarm issue to address. Other programs are doing it. Are we so exceptional that we stubbornly avoid change or adapting? By this time next year, I think we will have a good answer as to what level of introspection/adaptability the staff adopted.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s an interesting one. Talks about how they developed a more intricate, ball-movement-heavy 5-out Princeton offense and then scrapped it for mismatch ball:

That night the Underwoods met, discussed Wrightā€™s feedback and made a decision.

Letā€™s do it. Enough of the fluff.

ā€œWe were turning the ball over too much,ā€ Underwood said. ā€œAnd we needed to find a way to play into advantages for Marcus.ā€

They scrapped the NBA sets and started studying Wrightā€™s old Villanova teams, particularly when he had Jalen Brunson. Domask would be their Brunson. Theyā€™d unleash him in booty ball and also post up 6-foot-6 wing Ty Rodgers. Theyā€™d quit posting up Hawkins and backup center Dain Dainja. Theyā€™d keep playing fast. Seven seconds or less has always been the goal in initial offense. But if a quick shot wasnā€™t there, theyā€™d try to pick on a mismatch or create them with ball screens.

Funny that it has worked better for them than for Villanova, which still plays that way.

Also, Underwood is interesting as someone who until somewhat recently was running another antiquated offense that is misleadingly called the ā€œspreadā€ offense (thereā€™s nothing spread about the spacing):

1 Like

I was just thinking, I think this is at least the second Underwood transformation story Iā€™ve read in the past few years.

2 Likes

Also, I like the transformation stories that you read a fair amount of this time of year, about the teams that are advancing in the tourney.

But to be fair, nobody is interviewing the teams that went 15-15 and asking like, why did that thing you tried totally fail?

6 Likes

Definitely an element of survivorship bias going on:

I would read the article ā€œHereā€™s all the things the coach of this mediocre team triedā€ but you usually donā€™t get that until theyā€™ve actually turned it around.

5 Likes

I think weā€™ve all missed the big point in the UConnā€™s-offense-is-great story. From the story (emphasis added is mine):

The analytics sā€” was a world Murray had been inhabiting for nearly a decade, fascinated with how the Warriors and Lenovo Tenerife in Spain were revolutionizing their shot selection. Both teams had designed offenses that were prioritizing 3-pointers, ā€œrim shots,ā€ free throws and easy baskets in transition to maximize scoring ā€” all while bastardizing mid-range jumpers unless the shot clock was about to expire.

Currently on the roster of Lenovo Tenerife? Kyle Guy. Come home, Kyle. Revolutionize our offense.

7 Likes

Or at least DM your coachā€™s contact info to TB haha.

Hereā€™s 13 mins of their coachā€™s actions that you all obviously needed:

2 Likes

Forcing Mack to can Murray and Dino was an all-timer of a blunder from Lville AD.

Murray because he is apparently a very good and well respected assistant (and his dad looks cool in the friends and family section)

And Dino because he got upset and did some blackmail.

2 Likes

The Dino blackmail thing was wildā€¦it very much felt like something he (Dino) really didnā€™t need to do but he panicked.

1 Like

Oh, and on this, what I think really separates these plays from more vanilla approaches is how well designed the second side actions/reads when the initial action is denied are. Thatā€™s what I see as the connection to the UConn offense; if something gets taken away, they flow right into an action that tries to take advantage of how the defense responds. It almost feels like they have you right where they want you once you start overplaying the initial action. And so even their late shot clock possessions feel like they come from finding an early advantage and patiently opening it up more and more until a great shot is available. Could definitely learn from that for our offense.

2 Likes

Exactly. Iā€™m not the big play diagraming expert that some on here are, but the big problem with B/M seems to be that the answer to an action being well defended is basically, ā€œRun the action again and again and again and again until it works.ā€

I donā€™t think Virginia is totally lost in the woods, the offense just needs to be updated with more options and variations and counters.

1 Like

Yes. Iā€™ve been thinking about this a lot. Iā€™m also not a big Xā€™s and Oā€™s guy but this feels like the big failure of the coaches this year. Once ā€œthe book is out on usā€ if chapter 1 of that book is ā€œdo everything possible to deny imacā€ then we have to come up with a response that makes a defense pay for overplaying mckneeley. and that response should not be ā€œhave imac come off a screen and catch the ball inside the 3p line and take a long 2.ā€

6 Likes

Yeah, I think itā€™s one part scheme design where they didnā€™t do a good job of weaponizing McKneelyā€™s gravity, one part player execution where our guys seemed to readily surrender the advantage in a possession too quickly. Maybe that has do with how they teach offense, but I feel like I can count on my hands the number of times we had the defense late in rotation and then it was swing pass, swing pass, open shot. And I can count too many times where a guy came off a screen with some space and the defender scrambling but then just let the defense catch up instead of forcing them into rotation.

1 Like