Best Glue Guy

If we’re talking about how good jack salt was… found this from last year

15 Likes

That graph makes me so happy

3 Likes

I’m gonna say Akil, though I consider him more of a candidate for best defender, and in High School Yearbook fashion, you shouldn’t get more than one award. Though Brogdon probably gets Best Defender. After Akil I’d say Wilkins and Williford.

3 Likes

Except shoot jump shots.

A lot of recency bias in the comments! Cornel Parker was one of the best defenders I have seen. Maybe the only guy in the ACC that could lock up Grant Hill. A lot of good names on the list for sure. Jason Williford was really good too. I remember him hitting some big shots to help beat Carolina in U Hall in the mid 90s.

1 Like

Hunter.

I would love to have another Akil! Gill doesn’t belong on this list!

1 Like

JWilly gets my vote. One of my all-time favorite Hoo players. He was a soft as a marshmallow outside shooter in high school who became a tough as nails, do all the dirty work forward for some damn good teams.

5 Likes

I can’t pick between Jack and Isaiah. I’m going with Anthony Oliver, a favorite from my time in school.

4 Likes

AO! great choice. he guarded some real ones in the ACC

2 Likes

I’m with some others above - just can’t think of Gill as a glue guy. He was too central a part of the team, and was a top three offensive option. He just contributed too much in the conventional stat categories for him to be on the list. Although his personality was definitely a glue guy, keep the team loose type.

I am torn between Akil and Isaiah. Salt was fantastic in his role, but I guess I don’t think of him as the kind of the complete utility players that those guys were. They covered for so many defensive mistakes by others and brought so much energy. Also could score a little here and there when needed (I seem to remember his last year Akil was using a nifty little hook shot to get a couple a game). I lean Akil, but that might just be because of how important I think it was that the teams he contributed to finally made us relevant.

1 Like