Big recruiting weekend on tap

It’s not like Tony to recruit guys who are likely one-and-dones, right?

2 Likes

It’s more that few are a good fit for UVA. Bennett has recruited plenty of them. Sure one and dones want to be featured. Our program isn’t really set up for that. They were very very close to getting Michael Porter as a reclassed member of the 2016 class. Which would have meant no Dre, so be thankful that didn’t work out. Pretty close this past Spring with Johnny Juzang who’ll probably be one and done. That’s the type of situation it would take. Key players unexpectedly leaving early or unique relationships like with Porter.

4 Likes

Interesting! Thanks for the insight

2 Likes

HGN, my man, how about Justin McCoy? I heard plenty of good stuff early, now it’s all radio silence…

2 Likes

McKoy…and don’t feel alone with the misspelling. I have to correct myself every time. Opposite of Tomas, better athlete than expected. That’s important so he can stay in the game against small 4 guard lineups. He’s gonna play this year. How much will depend on limiting miscues. The more dependable he is, the more they can slide Braxton out and keep from exhausting the guards with heavy minutes.

I think it was Jamie Shaw from Phenom Hoop Report that compared Justin to Luke Maye. It’s a good comp. Doesn’t mean he’ll have that type of success but they bring similar traits. Justin’s a little more versatile defensively but obviously has a ways to go to match Luke’s offensive skill set. They’re both atypical “stretch 4s” in that they rebound well and bring some physicality.

3 Likes

I actually had McKoy spelled but dr. google corrected me :slight_smile:
I can understand the comparo with Maye (stretch 4) however, it surprises me a little since Maye is really not that athletic, while Justin sure looks it, quicker, more spring on his jumping ability, agree?

2 Likes

Better run and jump athlete than Maye yeah. Average for the ACC. Value is his skill and outside shot while being a competent defender vs the wide range of players teams use at the 4.

Unrelated but I think Bennett regretted not recruiting Luke Maye harder. Ritchie McKay LOVED him back when others thought he was just a mid major player. He came for a visit once, but Tony never bought in. Didn’t fit the mold they liked. Went for Jarred Reuter instead. It’s crazy how much the game has changed in 4 years, and the qualities they want in forwards along with it.

2 Likes

I think Justin is going to develop his game and to be a key piece for us in the next few years. Can’t wait to see what he has to offer!

2 Likes

HGN: That’s the exact take away I had when watching TW’s film. Then again, I had the same take away watching Ty’s film back in the day. But, man, who can fill in as primary ball-handler when KC is out has to be THE concern going in, right?

3 Likes

Which is why I was baffled we didn’t bring in a grad trans pg. I know we didn’t have the sell for a top self guy be surely someone was out there that was a capable ball handler willing to come into our situation

1 Like

I’d imagine that even mid tier grad transfer would want quasi guaranteed run. At least 15-20 minutes per games. And we don’t have that. Between Kihei, Morsell, and TW, they’re going to eat up a lot of minutes.

1 Like

Caleb Furst has been in town since yesterday on his official. Noah Batchelor is there today. He posted an IG story earlier being shown around JPJ by Coach Willy.

Trevor Keels is at Villanova this weekend.

4 Likes

Hope that every that everyone chooses to attend the fantastic school that is the University of Virginia!

3 Likes

Thank you to coach Bennett and the Virginia coaching staff for having Noah and family on an unofficial visit today pic.twitter.com/JFNasngLCR

— Scott Turner (@ScottTu34441186) September 21, 2019

7 Likes

Was talking to him on instagram earlier- seems very nice!

2 Likes

Heard Tomas looked really good in today’s first practice. He might not be the greatest athlete but the guy’s crafty.

3 Likes

Not hearing a whole lot, except Woldetensae outside shot is very solid, needs some work defending (syncs with your lacking of athleticism comment) and healing of his wrist went well.

Player that’s surprised the most to date — McKoy.

4 Likes

Quite interesting take on this, Reuter vs Maye. .win some…lose others.
Thanks for the intel, I was certainly surprised with this.

Juan

1 Like

I think Justin is our X factor - esp. of the mostly unknowns. Huff is a do or die year, Morsell is going to be really good as expected, once he gets the D and improves his shot a little more, others, I am not sure. But Justin could be the real glue, the out of nowhere guy with 15min, 6pts, solid D, 4 rebounds…

1 Like