Bracket to Determine Best UVA Basketball Game

I think so.

Alright so the first round polls were closed at 1pm earlier today, and later this evening we’ll be putting up the updated bracket with the Sweet 16 matchups. Then tomorrow we’ll start posting the individual matchup polls, and will try to continue to post 2 per day.

4 Likes

For a brief summary of the first round, according to my original seeding, we actually had 5 upsets out of a possible sixteen. The more recent game won 10 of 16 matchups. There are 9 Bennett era games in the Sweet 16, 5 games from the Holland era, and 2 from the Jones era. 8 of the games are NCAA Tournament games, 4 are ACC Tournament games, and 4 are regular season games.

3 Likes

Realized I didn’t put any extra content up for the last matchup. Here’s the highlights for the Iowa State game:

Turned into a real dunkfest late in the game.

4 Likes

Here’s the updated full bracket from @Benrekosh :

And then by region:

7 Likes

Great job with this guys…y’all are definitely passionate and talented.

3 Likes

In our first matchup of the Sweet Sixteen we’ve got the 2019 National Championship vs the 1976 ACC Tournament Semifinal.

I’m certain we all have fairly good memories of the National Championship game, so I’ll just mention that the final score was 85-77, Deandre Hunter led the way for the 'Hoos with 27 points and 9 rebounds, and that he canned both the game tying shot to send the game to overtime with 12 seconds in regulation, and the go ahead three-pointer with roughly two minutes remaining in overtime. Kyle Guy and Ty Jerome both hit double figures as well, scoring 24 and 16 points, respectively, as Jerome also tallied eight assists. This was the program’s first National Championship (of hopefully many), and could not have come in more dramatic fashion.

In 1976, 33 year old Head Coach Terry Holland was in his second year in Charlottesville, and the 'Hoos generally struggled in regular season play. Finishing 4-8 in ACC play, they entered the seven team ACC Tournament as the six seed. They knocked of #19 NC State in the first round, and earned themselves a contest with the hosts of the tournament, #9 Maryland. Fairly rare at that point, Maryland coach Lefty Driesell, Holland’s college coach at Davidson, started three guards, trying to overwhelm the Wahoos with their quickness and mobility. The Cavs were lead by Wally Walker’s 27 points and Billy Langloh’s 20 and scraped out a 73-65 victory over the Terps. Virginia would go on to beat #2 North Carolina in the ACC Championship to secure the program’s first NCAA tournament bid. This run through the ACC tournament would be dubbed the Miracle in Landover, as the program experienced its first taste of success.

After you vote, let us know down below why you voted the way you did!

• 2019 National Championship vs Texas Tech
  • 1976 ACC Semifinal @ Maryland
0 voters
1 Like

I do not think my vote needs any explanation lol.

3 Likes

Lol yeah this was the wrong post to start putting that at the bottom again :joy:

2 Likes

Now we’ve got the 2014 win over #4 Syracuse vs the 2018 ACC Championship game vs UNC.

In 2014, the renaissance of Virginia basketball came to be, as the team rattled off thirteen straight wins, culminating in this title clinching drubbing of Syracuse on March 1st, 2014. Winning 75-56, the Cavs broke away in the second half of the game, and on senior night, got every last man on the roster playing time. In front of an electric JPJ crowd, fourth year walk-on Thomas Rogers even nailed a three in the waning minutes. Overall, Malcolm Brogdon led the 'Hoos with 19 points, 5 rebounds, and five assists, while Mike Tobey, Akil Mitchell, and Justin Anderson all registered double digit points as well. First year point guard London Perrantes picked apart the Syracuse zone, dishing out seven assists and nailing two long balls. The atmosphere was phenomenal, and the 'Hoos came away with their biggest win in years, only to be topped a few weeks later in the ACC Tournament where the 'Hoos would reign supreme, before dropping out of the NCAA Tournament in the Sweet 16. Nonetheless, this team started what has been a phenomenal seven year run, and what looks to be the new normal for UVA basketball.

Following a 17-1 ACC run and the ACC Regular Season title, the 2018 Wahoos stormed through the ACC tournament to the Championship game where they beat the Tar Heels 71-63. Kyle Guy led the way with 16 points, Devon Hall finished with 15, Ty Jerome chipped in 12, and Deandre Hunter added 10 as the Cavs clinched their second ACC Championship under Tony Bennett. Unfortunately, Hunter’s wrist turned out to be broken, ending his season, and the 'Hoos, well, lost their next game. But this was still a phenomenal accomplishment, winning the ACC tournament is no simple task, and a 20-1 ACC record is quite frankly, ridiculous. This set the stage for the following team, as the core that won the National Championship in 2019 gained invaluable experience.

After you vote, let us know which game you picked and why!

• 2014 vs #4 Syracuse
  • 2018 ACC Championship vs UNC
0 voters

This one is tough because they are both here for really good reasons. The 2018 ACC Championship was an incredible feat and an important piece in an even greater story, but I feel like the 2014 Syracuse game will always be a singular iconic game in UVA basketball history!

3 Likes

While I love beating UNC that game leaves a horrible taste in my mouth. The guys went all out to win the ACC Championship but it cost us Hunter in process and that I believe led to the collapse the following week against UNBC. At the end of the day Virginia rarely needs to win the ACC tournament other than for bragging rights.

That 2014 game against Cuse was an arrival moment for the Hoos. It was when the program went from the plunky group who played great defense and could pull and upset or two to the team that was ready for the national stage. For me that game set the table for everything that’s happened in the last 6 years.

5 Likes

agree with everything said here. is why I was fine in 19 losing in ACC Tournament and I cannot believe am saying this

6 Likes

It’s a strange spot. I never want to tank a game. But the game really doesn’t mean anything for the team especially now that they are true contenders for a national championship. That’s the ultimate goal

3 Likes

The feeling of pure joy during the 2nd half of the Syracuse game is something I will always remember…THAT was the arrival moment.

5 Likes

Yeah it’s an interesting point. In addition to losing Hunter, I looked like the team was just tired and had lost a step against a hungry and super-quick UMBC team. Coming out of the ACC tourney the following year with more rest and fewer injuries certainly was a good thing.

I like winning championships and hanging banners, so we do need to build some resiliency to do both (aside from freak injuries like what happened to Hunter). But going forward I won’t be too bummed if we lose early in the tourney, keep a high seed (like in 2018) and go on a nice roll when it really matters.

3 Likes

I said the same thing when they lost to FSU in the ACC Tournament last season, I thought it may be good for them to get an extra day or two of rest. I certainly felt that way this year. An ACC tournament win would not have put them on the 1 line, and Kihei needed all the rest he could get with the minutes he was playing.

3 Likes

Here’s what I’d like to see. Every class that Bennett has brought in has won an ACC regular season and tournament title. Keep that going. Get Kihei and Kody a tournament title in the next couple of years.

4 Likes

2014 Cuse - we put Malcolm in the middle of that 2-3 zone and it was lights out from there.

So many memorable moments from that game. The half court oop to Akil and AG’s reaction, Thomas Rogers 3 to bring the house down, Joe Ha passing the torch to London at halfcourt, Tony tearing up in the handshake line. Tough to beat that 'Cuse game for me

7 Likes

Now we’ve got the 2019 Elite 8 vs Purdue vs the 2019 win @ #8 UNC

Securing Tony Bennett’s first final four appearance, and Virginia’s first since 1984, the Wahoos beat Purdue 80-75. Dramatic moment followed dramatic moment, culminating in Kihei Clark’s ridiculous pass to Mamadi who floated the game tying buzzer beater at the end of regulation. Carsen Edwards went off for 42 points, while Kyle Guy recorded 25 points and 10 rebounds (his first double double) and Ty Jerome contributed 24 points, 7 assists, and five rebounds. Deandre Hunter scored the go ahead basket with 28 seconds remaining in overtime, and the program’s biggest win in decades was secured. As we all saw earlier today, the Cavs would go on to win the National Championship.

Following a loss to a ridiculously hot shooting Duke team only two days before, the Cavs traveled to Chapel Hill on a Monday night. Thanks to clutch, late shooting from Kyle Guy, Virginia came out on top 69-61, led by Deandre Hunter and Guy who each scored 20 points. Ty Jerome recorded a double double with 15 points and 11 assists. On the other end, Kihei Clark did a phenomenal job guarding first year phenom Coby White, who, while finishing with 17 points, shot 6-19. This was a an incredibly encouraging victory, especially considering the Saturday-Monday quick turnaround format of games (a la the Final Four) against two eventual #1 seeds.

• 2019 Elite Eight vs Purdue
  • 2019 @ #8 UNC
0 voters
1 Like