Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

Shopping malls were a pretty awesome way to shop 25 years ago too.

3 Likes

he changed his approach, nothing wrong with that. He still has a long list of successful players to point to. Hard to beat

1 Like

Correct. He did change his approach. But kids seem to be picking duke based on his old approach. He hasnā€™t developed a player in a looooong time. He collects players that are getting to the NBA in 6 months regardless. And theyā€™d have been OADā€™s and been NCAA stars whether they played for duke or West Boise Tech.

4 Likes

He built that program by developing multi-year guys. Those days are over though. He stopped doing anything close to that about 5 years ago. Now Grayson Allen is the 4 year player he can point to.

2 Likes

Yes. and Iā€™m sure the change in approach had to do with the fact that he didnā€™t think heā€™d be coaching much longer. I mean I attended his Duke basketball camp two years in a row around 2013-2014 and he said to all of us he couldnā€™t imagine still coaching by 2020! and weā€™ve seen how that has played out.

3 Likes

Didnā€™t coach K bad mouth coach Cal on his one and done approach and said it would ruin CBB then basically took his recruiting blueprint

3 Likes

Kyrie was basically his first 1 and done, right? That was the start. Kyrie was drafted in 2011

Heā€™s a hypocrite. Heā€™s a liar. He doesnā€™t just tolerate the worst in his players he condones it. Heā€™s the self appointed king of basketball. He cries over every slight, real or perceived, all while his players and fans are doing much worse.

Heā€™s a douche bag and basketball will be better off when heā€™s gone.

10 Likes

Hallelujah!

1 Like

Not if the *better talent hasnā€™t developed or lived up to the hypeā€¦I get that not everybody is going to pan out, but heā€™s truly ā€œdoing less with moreā€ these days.

I get that this is a message board ā€“ and people feel a lot more free to hurl largely-anonymous insults from behind their keyboards ā€“ and, to be clear, Iā€™m no great fan of Coach K . . . . BUT, perhaps, just perhaps, your anti-Coach K rhetoric has crossed the line from critique to ad hominem assault. Put another way, WWCTBD? Iā€™m guessing not send a post like yours.

5 Likes

He does have a proven track record. He also built that reputation with college wins, championships, and development of winning teams. However, ironically He used to catch criticism because many Duke players didnā€™t meet expectations once in the NBA and he won with players who were not going to succeed at the next level. Most of his NBA players have come during the one n done era. Donā€™t get me wrong, there were some before but the rep for NBA prep is more recent. Itā€™s just that a rep for a quick prep for NBA ready prospects but not pure development.

4 Likes

A decent argument can be made that his last 2 teams were better at the beginning of the year than they were at the end. That is why TB should continue to stress development. It probably wonā€™t fly with the one and dones but should be effective with the 4 stars that we recruit.

2 Likes

Corey Maggette was the first one and done at Duke. There was some shadiness to whatever was going on with him but I donā€™t remember details.

1 Like

We (diehard UVA fans) may have a different view, but all of the items that TU listed about Duke are the exact things that any kid and his family want to hear if they think the NBA is the next jump and frankly itā€™s pretty persuasive (works at Kentucky too). Donā€™t know K as a human, but he is the GOAT in CBB (and yes I know who John Wooden is). And it is clear that every top kid on the east coast, and most of the 5 stars in the rest of the country, wants that offer from Duke as a validation. Itā€™s the way it is - Keels may go to Duke and if so I wish him well. He may not and picks Virginia, in which case I will cheer for him. Regardless, of which uniform he is wearing, I love beating Duke - cause weā€™ve pretty much beat the living snot out of everyone else.

10 Likes

The idea a sport that is struggling to maintain relevance outside of the tournament is going to be better off when itā€™s biggest name retires is certainly a take.

2 Likes

We just need to continue to recruit from the template that we currently use with an elevation in talent. We can and should be more selective. Itā€™s a different world for us now because many of the top prospects will be open to our message but may not be a good fit. We will never have the details, nor should we be privy to what the staff knows. However, it will leave many of our fans frustrated and confused. We need to trust the process. We are in the best hands in the business.

1 Like

True. We just have to focus on the prospects with priorities that align with what we offer. For every Zion Willliamson there is a Max Christie!

1 Like

True! Back then, I donā€™t think Coach K would let them hang a banner if everyone hadnā€™t received their degree. His teams won with experience and defense. He seemed to change about the time he was selected to coach our Olympic teams.

2 Likes

That was when K said he was never going the 1 or 2 and done route ever againā€¦

3 Likes