✂ Cuts From The Corner - Notre Dame

It’s a good example in the sense that he had two pretty bad turnovers and then sat, but it didn’t cost us the game and we played well defensively when he was in. It was absolutely worth seeing how he’d do and was a good learning experience for him, I’d wager.

FWIW I’d want Eli’s minutes to be with Reece so he really wouldn’t be bringing the ball up the floor much unless we were being pressed - in which case a lot of guys might have to help and maybe you go away from him quicker - or in transition where he’s very good.

3 Likes

What are his efficiency numbers vs P5? Like a majority of your posts; I need more context.

I’m genuinely curious because Bond’s efficiency numbers for example are grossly inflated by what he did vs cupcakes. Against our good competiton he’s been pretty terrible.

2 Likes

Not a full breakdown, but in the 3 games against what I’m going to label good competition where Eli got double digit minutes (Syracuse, Memphis and at Notre Dame), he had multiple turnovers in each while shooting below 50% from the field in 2 of those 3 (2-5 in both Cuse and ND games) and hitting 50% against Memphis (2-4).

1 Like

So 43% shooting in those games against good teams??
Among the guards only Taine and Reece are better than that on the season.

1 Like

How many of those minutes are at the end of blowouts. It’s just not an apples to apples comparison.

Trust me I want him to play more but you’re cherry picking stats without any context and ignoring his turnovers

3 Likes

His end of blowout minutes are generally bad for him, actually. Cuse and Lville two recent examples (at least from an on/off perspective).

Look, I was inspired by some meh Harris play to write what I wrote yesterday, but I continue to think what I thought before the season: we have a bunch of guys who all need to play and nobody has really emerged. But here we are in February and still no one has emerged but we’ve decided to bury a guy who needs PT for his development and who’s PT might contribute positively.

So my position isn’t “bury someone else”. It’s “bury nobody”.

3 Likes

Captures what I have been feeling. Well written.

2 Likes

To be fair to Dave, his turnovers against Syracuse were when we were roughly up by 30…

But yeah valuing each possession is just as important to CTB as the defense is. Turnovers more often than not lead to run outs, which is the exact thing we try to prevent by not only being tight with the ball but also by how we send so many guys back instead of going for offensive boards.

We don’t have the luxury of knowing what goes on every single day, but I would imagine what we see on the court is a byproduct of just that. To put it frankly we aren’t a program who should ever be saying sacrifice potential winning now for the development of future players. But even if you wanted to go that rout we are playing 4 underclassmen over double digit minutes a game anyways, and that’s not counting Ryan Dunn who most assume won’t be back or Elijah’s 10.5 minute average since he’s the topic of discussion and has faded in the rotation as of late. End of the day we are trying to win games, which as of late we’ve been doing a good bit of.

Rotations always tighten up as the season goes on. This is honestly the most flexible we’ve been in some time… bottom line this staff isn’t perfect but they’ve done a heck of a lot winning here including the sports ultimate prize so I tend to give benefit of the doubt to them.

Also sorry @Jerome that wasn’t all directed at you it just kind of became one post haha.

4 Likes

My view is that Tony, just like all of us, needs to balance short, medium, and long range planning, and just like the rest of us, Tony tries to do that and manages it with mixed results, just like the rest of us. Sometimes those goals are in tension, often they’re not, and when they’re in tension, he often faces tough calls.

Oh yeah there’s definitely some planning that goes into it, but there’s also a baseline of what’s acceptable to see time. Multiple young guys are playing significant minutes. Minutes now contributing to future growth is added bonus for multiple players who are contributing to the current win streak we are on.

1 Like