Dragon's 2022 College Football Picks Week 4 (Season 3)

Last Week 4-4
14-10 Overall

Last week was one of those weeks where I was sweating and after grinding my teeth and way too much caffeine and booze I would up 4-4 last weekend. As we enter week four I certainly feel like I’m getting a better feel for the season, last week the only time I was truly off was the Rutgers game, everything else became a toss up. I like where I’m sitting entering week 4.

NC State vs. UConn +38.5
UConn has welcome Jim Mora l with open arms and he’s been rewarded with a lost at home by 34 to Syracuse (more on that later) and being shut out in Ann Arbor 59-0. Few things are more consistant than the futility of UConn football. However, this is why gambling is great because it can make a stinker of a game like this one interesting and it has absolutely nothing to do with the talent on the field. NC State has a date with Clemson next week. The Wolfpack knows if they want to earn a trip to Charlotte in December they got to knock off the Tigers. My gut tells me that while NC State wants to come out fired up and focused on Saturday they will call the dogs off early to stay healthy for the following week. This is also a perfect trap game for the Wolfpack to fail to cover a big spread.
UConn +38.5

Kansas -7 vs. Duke
The strangest part of this game is both teams enter undefeated and looking pretty damn good, in KU’s case they are the best surprise in college football. Jalon Daniels is what BA used to be, he’s completing 67% of his passes and has the best QBR in the country 97.5. Duke has been impressive in their start to the season but the Jayhawks are a scoring machine. They’ve racked up 103 points in two road games this season. I don’t know what a packed house in Lawrence Kansas looks like for a football game, but I expect we are going to find out on Saturday.
Kansas -7 Over 65

USC -5.5 vs. Oregon St.
This line has been fascinating to watch opened with USC -6.5. By Thursday afternoon there was more money backing the Beavers and the 6.5 than, on any of the 16 Week 3 NFL games and over three times more money on Ore. St than any other CFB Week 4 game spread. It’s madness that I honestly don’t get. USC is officially what Oklahoma used to be. A juggernaut on offense, suspect on defense and a bit sloppy all around. It’s pretty apparent this is what you get with Lincoln Riley in charge. Many expect USC on the road to have the numbers catch up to them and Oregon St. to gut this one out. There’s been so much money that the spread moved to 5.5 which I cannot stay away from. I’m locking this in as my @HoozGotNext lock of the week.
USC -5.5

Texas Tech +7 vs. Texas
I’m very tempted to take the ML here as well… what the hell give me a modest half unit on TT +225. The Longhorns avoided the disastrous potential letdown against UTSA and found their offense in the second half. Texas Tech went on the road and fell to a good NC State team, but much of their demise was self inflicted with 4 turnovers. Texas Tech is just different when they play at home especially in these big games. @CavTex can elaborate better than I can. But I’ve seen too many strange things happen when a ranked team walks into Lubbock. This is where you see the true letdown affect from the Longhorns lost to Bama two weeks ago. Texas Tech hangs around all afternoon and don’t be surprised if they outright win this thing.
Texas Tech +7

Tennessee -10 vs. Florida Over 62.5
I don’t think I’ve watched or bet this much Gator football since Spurrier was roaming the sidelines in Gainesville. I’m pseudo adopting this program as one I want to watch and see what Billy Napier can ultimately build. Speaking of building Josh Heupel has the Vols running and emotions have not been this high on Rocky Top since Tee Martin was take snaps. The Vols do a very good job of sticking to who they are and finding ways to run tempo even when the opponent tries their hardest to muck up and slow the game down. Tennessee ability to impose their desired pace of play is the key here. If it comes down to scoring points in bunches I don’t think the Gators can keep up. I like Richardson as a QB for UF but he’s not a gun slinger. This one stays close for most of it but in the end the Vols are too much.
Tennessee -10.5 Over 62.5

James Madison +7 vs. App. State
Welcome to the party Mr. Madison. First time I’ve ever placed a bet on that school from the other side of Afton Mnt. App. State is have a truly magical season and it’s also full of flukes and some of the most random endings you will ever see. They are a good football team for sure but they also barely escaped SEC charity case Troy last weekend. This is the first season the Dukes have played big boy ball and they are acquitting themselves nicely to the Sun Belt. A game with App. State is James Madison’s first chance to truly put their mark on the big stage. The Dukes have some big games down the back half of their schedule and need to take advantage of this opportunity at hand. Expect them to keep this one tight throughout.
James Madison +7

Virginia +10 vs. Syracuse
Friday night football, not going to lie I’m not a fan of Friday night or Thursday night games for that matter. As a season ticket holder who lived 100 miles from the stadium I found them near impossible to attend without taking a day off work. Cuse has started the season off strong going 3-0. But when you start to dig into that start there are obvious holes in the armor. The Purdue game took some insanity, UConn doesn’t count (see above) the UofL game looks legit. I am sure that Mr. Anae would love nothing more than to stick it to his former employer and I wouldn’t be surprised if we see some longing looks from the Virginia sidelines and stands towards their former OC. I don’t think the Virginia offense is fixed or even on it’s way to being that way. I do think the defense is better than we’ve seen the past two seasons. I also like some of the developments in the running game, XB looks like a piece you can build with. At the end of the day 10 just feels too big, the Syracuse defense is not as good as Illinois and won’t be able to put the clamps down in the same manor.
Hoos cover the 10.5

5 Likes

Excellent break downs.
Top notch stuff
As far as TT v Ut, it’s going to be 95 at kickoff and about 115 on the field and that visitors sideline will look dead into the sun all afternoon.
Also probably the last time these old rivals face each other. Texas off to the sec. Side note , some representative has stated he will introduce some legislation that will force Texas and Tech to continue their series for life. The game has been sold out.
TT will be jacked as well as the Jones.
My pick is still Texas. TT replaced their qb late in the game last week, young man stayed in the pocket way to long
Look for Texas to have over 250 on the ground alone.

2 Likes

My dad is a Purdue grad and I was out there so I watched the last bit of the game with him. Purdue flat out gifted them the game. Boneheaded penalties on their own touchdown (!!) had Purdue kicking off from their own 10-yard line. And then the drive stayed alive because of Purdue penalties. Until the Cuse TD. Seems like it will be a good test of where our offense is. I expect they’ll score on us…

2 Likes

Love that insight right there. The heat will definitely get to the visiting team. Last year Sarks “all gas no brakes” teams struggled in the 2nd half and gave up leads on multiple occasions.

Wonder if this being the last time the 2 meet has an effect on the players on the field?

1 Like

I didn’t dive into it here. But you hit on the head. That Purdue game was riddled with self implosion from the Boilermakers. Bottom line is, I think Cuse is a solid team, but I don’t think they are as good as the 3-0 makes them appear. I also think Virginia is slightly better than the 2-1 shows. Mainly because I think we focus too much on what Virginia didn’t do against Illinois and not what Illinois did on defense. I think Cuse will move the ball and put up points. But I think the Hoos can move the ball as well. They moved the ball extremely well last week and saw 3 drives in a row fizzle on turnovers. Same thing happened in the opener. In many ways the Hoos on the field have been their won worst enemy.

Coming into the season I thought this was a toss up game with Dino fighting for his job up in Syracuse and I still think it’s a toss up. I do think 10.5 is likely too big.

2 Likes

Coaches are making a big deal about as well as the media. Texas is the Duke of the big 12 in terms of football

1 Like

Meaning they are despised a great deal. TT coach was asked during an interview about the No horns down rule, he laughed quite a bit .

1 Like

Makes sense all around. Having lived in Norman Ok essentially across the street from the stadium where I parked cars to earn a few bucks as a kid, that hurts to read. But I interpret that to read Texas is essentially a POS which I already knew.

Texas single handedly blew apart the Big 12 when they started the Longhorn network and now they are walking away and leaving the ashes in their dust.

1 Like

Agree on the JMU pick. I watch them closely and this is an exceptional JMU team - even compared to years past. I wouldn’t be surprised for them to pull the upset (but won’t bet on it).

1 Like

JMU has done this transition about as well as they could. They built the program funding etc and widened their base and are striking at just the right time. I fully expect them to grab a pelt at some point this yr from a quality FBS team but I don’t think Saturday is the day.

1 Like

Always love NC State overs for some reason. Random one that has hit a few times

1 Like

At first look, Dragon is right I was ready to pounce on USC. But that just looks too good, like bait, and with his story about lots of money on OSU…gonna pass. Then I scrolled down and saw he took JMU. Made it an easy call. Go Dukes!

1 Like

It’s almost like you’re in my head. Despite all the red flags around the USC game I can’t stay away from it. Something feels off and usually when I think I know more than the money that’s not a great thing. But the JMU game I came across it later and I was too lazy to update what I wrote previously but I like the Dukes a lot in this position. App State has become a bit of a darling, but the UNC game was a train wreck. They balled out in against A&M and required a miracle to get past Troy. That fairy dust cannot keep getting passed around all season.

1 Like

Incorrect

Bored Married With Children GIF

I didn’t Virginia football so doesn’t bother me

1 Like

Julia Roberts Big Mistake GIF

2 Likes

Kansas out her partying like its 2007

2 Likes

Few things frustrate me more tha. Wakes slow mesh offense

1 Like

What was the line on Wake and Clemson?