Fall recruiting thread

Buzzing around twitter just now Corey Evans reporting an assistant (Wilford?) was in to see Quincy Allen this am.

Also Evan Daniels is reporting Cam Hayes (off the heels of his NC State visit) cancelled his Tenn visit for this weekend. 7 CBs now in for State, would be a great pick up for them…even though they are still dirty

3 Likes

It was already mentioned that an assistant would be in for 2021 Stevie Mitchell. I just :heart: it when high school coaches include national champion in our coach’s title.

The coaches at open gym last night to check out 4 star recruit @StevieM259 c/o 2021🙌🏽

Head Coach Howard of LaSalle U🏀

Asst. Coach Scott of St. Joe’s U🏀

Asst. Coach Fenerty of Temple U🏀

Asst. Coach Vandross of the 2019 National Champs🏆
University of Virginia🏀 pic.twitter.com/FVWfQDexjq

— Wilson Bulldogs Boys Basketball (@boys_wilson) September 11, 2019
3 Likes

Coach Vandross doing his thing in Philly.

Archbishop Wood for 2021 guard Rahsool Diggins.

Thanks to the following schools for coming out to watch our guys today: Arcadia, Rider, Rutgers, and Virginia.

— Archbishop Wood Boys Basketball (@WoodBoysBball) September 11, 2019

And at Roman Catholic. They have a pair of elite 2022s. Guard Justice Williams is probably the guy Orlando is there for. Stud big man Jalen Duren could head straight for the NBA if allowed.

Thank you to Louisville Basketball @LouisvilleMBB , Virginia @UVAMensHoops , Dayton @DaytonMBB , Hampden-Sydney @HSC1776 and EV Hoops @tyler_sandora for coming to open gym this week. Next open gym is Friday, 9/13 at 4:15 PM #BroadandVine pic.twitter.com/6OfRK5Rxjp

— Roman Bball (@RomanBasketball) September 11, 2019
2 Likes

Hey HGN: the guys on the 3 Man Weave podcast said something in passing about Hampton transfer Jermaine Marrow likely looking at UVA as his destination but I don’t recall even hearing his name before. Any truth to the rumor?

2 Likes

He announced the other day he was pulling out of the portal and returning to Hampton so ah, no

3 Likes

Looks like week one is in the books with visitors arriving tomorrow. A few thoughts.

1. I can’t confirm that Tony Bennett made the scheduled trip for Caleb Furst. His people usually answer without problem. Not this time. That probably means it didn’t happen. This is the trouble with people reporting “expected to see” stuff. Plans get shifted around a lot this time of year.

2. So that leaves us with only two known trips by Bennett. For our two weekend visitors. That’s what we’re looking for. I know fans are more concerned with who visits Charlottesville. I pay a lot more attention to who Bennett goes to see When both happen we’re on the right path. Keels and Reid are clear priorities. Prepare to hear their names a lot for at least the next 6 months.

3. No sign of involvement with Carter Whitt so far. I’m not writing him off totally yet but all signs point to him moving up to 2020 with expectations of playing right away. His scheduled official to Boston College screams that. He’s probably about as likely as Henry Coleman right now, somewhere around 2%.

4. This has been about as non-aggressive week one activity as I can remember under Bennett. Only 2 (or 3) trips from him for already well known targets… Assistants evaluating a lot of players that probably aren’t going to be offered soon. They’re playing the long game in 2021, and I think it’s the right call.

5. No sign of any 2020 activity.

4 Likes

Bennett is back out tonight. He’s up in Indiana. I believe to see 2021 forward Trey Kaufman. Soderberg was just there last week, so it’s pretty interesting to follow up this quickly. Could see a new offer coming.

Kaufman has taken official visits to Indiana and Purdue the last two weekends. He plays for Kyle Guy’s old AAU program, Indiana Elite.

5 Likes

This is great!

1 Like

I’ll save you the tweets but Tony’s doing a whole midwest sweep.

He was at Silver Creek (IN) last night as I mentioned for 2021 forward Trey Kaufman. Still no offer there.

This morning he was at Rolling Meadows (IL) for 2021 guard Max Christie. Max picked up an offer following Top 100 camp. Duke and Villanova are after him. Michigan State coming hard too.

Tony will also visit with Caleb Furst today. That trip was originally scheduled for last week, but got moved around. To be perfectly honest I think there was a reason for that they’re keeping zipped tight, meaning Tony probably saw another recruit last week. Caleb will be in Cville this weekend for an official visit.

If you’re keeping count, 8 days into the recruiting period and Tony has seen 4 of the 5 2021 recruits with an offer. Carter Whitt the exception.

2 Likes

Sodey is on a west coast trip this week. He was in for Millennium (AZ) 2021 forward DeRon Holmes last night. He was a guy that really impressed them at USA minicamp in July.

Long Beach Poly (CA) 2021 guard Peyton Watson was paid a visit today. That’s another one they were watching this summer. His recruitment might have taken off a little more than anticipated though.

Brad is also expected in Oregon this week for '21 big man Nate Bittle and forward Ben Gregg.

2 Likes

Oh and I’ll add this here as I mentioned on Facebook. Great reviews coming in from this weekend’s visits! Especially Keels. UVA has put themselves in pretty terrific position with him.

3 Likes

Looks like Sodey has already been in Oregon.

The in-school visits for @bengregg20 have started. Catching up with him last night he indicated that @UVAMensHoops (assistant Brad Soderberg) and @ZagMBB were in and the visits went well. @GTMBB is scheduled to be in today.

— Prep Hoops Oregon (@PrepHoopsOR) September 17, 2019
2 Likes

In Texas last night for 2021 big man Daimion Collins. First sign of UVA involvement but he’s a very popular attraction for coaches this Fall.

Big Thanks to Coach Soderberg from University of Virginia for stopping by today!! pic.twitter.com/adzl38ADG9

— Daimion Collins (@CollinsDaimion) September 18, 2019

3 Likes

An assistant at Oak Ridge in Orlando. Probably checking out 2021 wing Michael James.

Thank you @CoachFrazierVT @ElonMBasketball @GeorgiaStateMBB @UVAMensHoops @AlabamaMBB @MCCCHoops @CofCBasketball @StetsonMBB for stopping by workouts today. 🙏🏾

— CoachReece (@sreece24) September 18, 2019
3 Likes

Sodey is racking up the air miles. At Mater Dei (CA) today.

Thank you to @ConcordiaMBB Head Coach Ken Ammann, @UVAMensHoops Assistant Coach Brad Soderberg & @EWUMBB Assistant Coach Ken Booker for coming out to practice today. #WeAreMD pic.twitter.com/DNmOTdX7Kk

— Mater Dei Hoops (@MaterDeiHoops) September 18, 2019

UVA would love to get involved with 2021 (possibly 2020) guard Devin Askew. It looks like that’s about to be wrapped up though. He posted that he’ll commit soon, which his father denies, so there’s some drama there right now. Mater Dei also has a pair of 2021 bigs that are popular Pac 12 targets, Harrison Hornery and Wilhelm Breidenbach.

3 Likes

Coach Vandross at Burlington (NC) for 2021 wing JaDun Michael. He came up for a game last season. NC State recently offered.

In the last two days, Tulsa Head Coach Frank Haith, Radford, Virginia, Louisville, Penn State and High Point have been at The Burlington School to see workouts.

— Justin Byerly (@JustinByerly) September 19, 2019

Vandross was at Greensboro Day too checking on Carson. They also really like 2022 guard Jaydon Young there.

2 Likes

HGN: Is this Askew news sort of out of nowhere? Haven’t seen us linked to him previously. Some sort of last minute push? And if so, any reason to believe that there’s reciprocal interest?

4 Likes

Oh they’ve been involved with him for a while. He’s never said he has an offer though, not that it really matters with a player of his status. Anyone would take him. Sodey actually went to see him during exam break last winter, that’s how far back it goes. It’s kinda interesting that he went there now when there’s talk of a commitment coming. Almost seems like Sodey went out of his way to get there too. I assume someone else has or is very close to closing the deal though, Calipari was just there before that came out. It’s UK or Louisville if a decision is coming.

Will also add that Harrison Hornery is from Australia. Considering our new staff connections down under, there could be increased interest.

4 Likes

Winston Salem Prep. Gonna guess this is about under the radar 2021 wing/forward Anthony Sellers.

Like to thank Coach Vandross from @UVAMensHoops for coming to workouts this morning! pic.twitter.com/K0RnfvtGtf

— PHOENIX NATION (@WSPA_HOOPS) September 19, 2019
4 Likes

Walker Kessler committed to North Carolina. Huge score for ole Roy. I haven’t kept up with Kessler for a while now but that’s a shocker from where we left off.

He was close to making the move to '19 and coming to UVA. Our side was very confident about it back in April. His decision to stay in '20 kinda pulled the rug out and they moved on.

5 Likes