Hoo did the basketball coaching staff want?

I forgot about all the preseason talk around Huff he was even getting national attention as a break out player and the team needed that.

Is Jay a skilled enough passer to run the offense through him in the post? I don’t know.

2 Likes

Leaps and bound better than last year? Just going off the numbers posted above…2PT% the same, 3PT% barely half what it was last year, FT% also down, hovering around .500. and almost matched TO’s in fewer than half the games.

Love Jay. Great kid. That is not leaps and bounds better than last year. Sorry, it’s just not.

2 Likes

This is another area that’s changed under Bennett in recent years. You see Mike Young personally recruiting for the 2022 class. I’ve noticed he does a lot of this. It’s sort of getting ahead of the process, which doesn’t truly begin until late summer/fall of their junior year.

Virginia Tech head coach Mike Young was courtside watching 2022 Tyler Nickel. @t_nickel23 a top 100 2022 prospect nationally, one of VA’s best in 2022 class @PlaymakerCamp

— BIG SH🏀TS (@BigShotsNation) January 12, 2020

Bennett used to do some of that. Matt Coleman comes to mind. Jahvon Quinerly too. I think that’s why people think of them staying in too long on Quinerly. It was more that Bennett started in super early. All that’s been completely eliminated now. You won’t see TB get involved with 2022 recruits until a little this summer, and then dive in fully in September.

There are pros and cons. Young will have a big advantage if he stays consistent with that effort on Nickel. But it could also be a huge waste of energy if Nickel ends up a more high profile recruit that it seems at the moment. Rick Barnes has been the most successful coach I can think of doing it. Keon Johnson and Josiah James were dividends. He picks his spots and just stays consistent over the long haul. I think our staff decided it doesn’t fit Bennett’s recruiting personality.

Anyway there’s been a lot of discussion over what’s changed. That’s one of them.

3 Likes