Hoos Going Pro 2021-22 NBA Season

Hawks needed to reset their timetable on some of the roster or else they’d be well into the tax. Reddish was the obvious choice.

3 Likes

This isn’t too surprising from what I’ve heard from my guy down here with the Hawks. They’ve always seen Hunter as a cornerstone for the future along with Young and Collins and there has been talk about moving Cam since last season. They may have jumped the market a little bit moving Cam right now, but considering he’s an expiring deal and in the midst of his best year ever, likely as good as good as it was gonna get.

4 Likes

If they are trading him they weren’t gonna pay him. So might as well get an asset before he hits the market. Only downside is if they want to execute some sort of 3-1 deal it gives them one less piece for that

2 Likes

Yeah open secret that Reddish was going to be traded before the deadline.

Knox is on an expiring contract and they pick up a first round asset that they can package in another trade if they need to.

4 Likes

Exactly that’s why I wonder if they jumped the market a little. But I’m guessing they see Dre back and in form and like you said knew Cam was never part of the future so may as well start somewhere. Esp with their season creeping towards being dead in the water.

1 Like

I read in the NY papers that the pick is pretty heavily protected (not in top 18 and, if so, will move to future years with less protection). On Twitter a lot of the NY fans think the deal heavily favors NY, but, as someone who watches the Hawks pretty much, I was not a huge Reddish fan, and I’m sure a lot of that is clouded by the fact that he went to Duke. While he’s a solid player who may help the Knicks, he really did not fit in long term with the Hawks.

2 Likes

I have no strong NBA allegiances, but generally root for the two NYC teams and anywhere our guys are. I think the deal is great for the Knicks. They gave up basically nothing and got a guy with a potentially big upside.

2 Likes

I think the Knicks got the better of the deal. In they have an asset they can use, and are still in the thick of a playoff hunt. For the Hawks it’s some long term planning. Like it’s been said, the Hawks weren’t going to keep Cam anyways so getting something for him is better than letting him walk. Wouldn’t be surprised if they try to use it as a piece in another trade.

1 Like

I watched a lot of the Hawks in the playoffs last year and not much this year, but given what they got (not much) I wonder if they should’ve just kept Cam and hoped they could make another playoff run. You can’t sign both, but your at least have both for the stretch run. Of course, I suppose Kevin Knox could always flash his potential again…

1 Like

They’re a bit of a dumpster fire this year. But too be fair it took a crazy good finish for them to make the playoffs last year, so maybe they are just who they are. The Hawks are tough team to grasp, I’m not sure they work as they are currently constructed but they have also rarely been healthy enough to show off what they can be.

3 Likes

Not sure we fully appreciated how good Braxton is/was. Between his willingness to be a role player (servanthood) and injuries we never saw the total package.

7 Likes

I forget about his wrist injury. Definitely robbed him of the opportunity to showcase the full package.

4 Likes

What did we have in the decade before TB? 2? Obviously Mason Jr. and then Singletary got a cup of tea.

9 Likes

Early early 2000s Cory Alexander, John Crotty and Bryant Stith were still in the league. I know Jamal Robinson and Curtis Staples had tryouts and maybe played pre season but dont think ever on a roster

4 Likes

Olden Polynice played regularly through the 2001 season and 2 games in 03-04.

3 Likes

The number of guys from TB era is just unreal. then you add the overseas guys etc. Also he mentioned the Washington State player in NBA and Klay Thompson.

5 Likes

Aaron Baynes

5 Likes

We’ve never seen the sheer volume and impact of players at the next level like what CTB has brought through Virginia. No disrespect to many of the Hoos before 2014 but a lot of them were journeymen or role players at best in the league. Granted out of the 14 CTB has put into the NBA plenty fill those roles too, but there are a handful who are flat out contributors and cornerstones of their franchise. That is huge.

9 Likes

The impressive part is that virtually none of those 'Hoos were considered likely NBA players coming out of high school. Schools like Kansas and Duke have plenty of players in the NBA, but those players were going to NBA regardless of what school they attended.

8 Likes

There’s definitely an uptick in the number of Hoos in the NBA, but roster rules in recent years and this year especially have inflated the number. 2 way contracts didn’t exist until the 17-18 season and the 10 day hardship contracts are for this season only.

If we’re talking guys who would’ve been NBA players under roster rules 5 years ago, it’s just Harris, Brogdon, Hunter, Murphy and probably Jerome.

4 Likes