Hoos Playing Overseas 2022 - 2023

seems like a lot more work than just cutting the season down to 65 games

3 Likes

It is $$$. Advertising dollars

2 Likes

So this whole concept of in-season tournaments and cups originated in the European football leagues.

Why? Because they all play home/home regular seasons with no playoffs at the end… the team at the top of the table is the Champion… so they created these in-season cups that included lower leagues to have these all encompassing tournaments w/ the Hoosiers vibe to them. The big teams always win it just like in Indiana, but there is always the David knocking off goliath in the early rounds.

Examples would be the FA Cup, League Cup (at one time it was called the Worthington Cup after a beer brand and the English fans used to call it the Worthless Cup. Haha! Sounds like what the NBA one will become), Copa del Rey in Spain, Deutsche Pokal in Germany, etc…

5 Likes

Oh I’m well familiar with the European soccer model and love it. But as you noted, they do it because they don’t have a playoff for regular league titles. And they give domestic cup competitions importance by attaching things like Europa League bids and such to them as a prize (of course for the tiny teams, just getting a shot to knock off a top league team is incentive enough).

What I’m a little confused about what the NBA is proposing is… what is the actual point? Why should a team care? Maybe I should seek more info, but I’m not getting why you’d want to win it.

3 Likes

Actually… none of them give Europa League spots to domestic cup winners, just bragging rights… those are given out by table placement and the UEFA coefficients. Europa League in the Premier League is just the 6th and 7th place I believe.

Doesn’t the FA Cup winner get a Europa League spot? Am I totally remembering it wrong?

1 Like

And pass up on all that television money?

You will watch Pacers vs. Utah on a Tuesday in January for the NBA NIT group stage and like it

4 Likes

My bad… you are correct @MaineWahoo, I just looked it up… England and France give their FA Cup winners a place in the Europa League (England has two in-season cups… so the League Cup does not get a berth), but those are the only two countries that do.

2 Likes

Well I made the mistake of assuming more countries than England and France did that, haha. I just knew about the FA Cup. I personally like it since it gives team a pretty valuable and unique prize, but I get why many smaller leagues probably wouldn’t allocate their limited slots that way.

2 Likes

We should only have point guards that can shoot *atleast as well as Perrantes from now on. There are so many each year- even if they don’t have the Reece length or athleticism, but can score. It’s a done deal.

1 Like

Not likely to get a PG who will be a career 41% 3 point shooter. The line is farther now than for London. But relative to their peers it would be nice.

6 Likes

Olimpia Milano’s Billy Baron underwent surgery on right elbowhttps://t.co/mWkIayd2CT

— Sportando (@Sportando) June 25, 2023
1 Like

Mike Scott currently playing in Puerto Rico…

3 Likes

Have only seen it here but reports that KG has or is close to signing in Italy.

https://twitter.com/matty_vanpersie/status/1673968649260941312?t=pTgM9WblwDJ0kLNmVS2J_Q&s=19

8 Likes

Interesting what’s that team like?

1 Like

Looks like they were euro league this year. Sponsored by a coffee company. Players on tbe roster whose names I recognized were Belinelli and Semi Ojeleye (famous for having his mom get yelled at by Coach K)

10 Likes

Jimmy Fallon Something GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

9 Likes

enemyofmyenemy-dwightenemy

10 Likes

Fwiw:

https://amp.newsobserver.com/sports/article210414029.html

4 Likes