Hoos Playing Overseas '21 - '22

#5 is Mike Miles from TCU, had a solid freshman season for them.

1 Like
4 Likes

Hurry if you want to buy Jack Salt’s shorts!

2 Likes

Another Hoo in Tokyo!

17 Likes

That is awesome!

Great for Papi but I’m not familiar with the country of Visa…

Crazy that the sponsor name is bigger than the country name on the jersey.

6 Likes

I feel like thats typical for Arg. Their rugby kit had a similar Visa logo on the chest for years

Argentina been on credit for years now so it kinda makes sense. Still ugly for the otherwise fly jersey

5 Likes

Man that’s such a sad saga. But guess if they can build it once they can conceivably rebuild their country.

1 Like
6 Likes

This totally the selfish fan in me. I’m glad Papi is getting this almost once in a lifetime experience, but there’s a part of me that wishes he didn’t make the team and he was back in Charlottesville right now with the rest of the squad. There’s a slight worry that he aggravates the foot injury he picked up, or he catches COVID somehow and something random happens. Don’t want him to miss any time for the Hoos

1 Like

Doesn’t sound like a lock that the Olympics even happen

You’re right about that. And I wouldn’t be heartbroken if they didn’t happen.

Yeah there’s definitely some possible downside from spending this time outside of our system, but I think either way he’s likely going to be coming into next season a better player. You could argue that the chance of him making a big jump is more likely in this scenario because he gets to spend every day with pros.

4 Likes

I agree. As long as he’s playing with quality players I think it’s good. He’s under a good learning tree as we say down here. My concern is less that he won’t learn the UVA system, I’m more concerned about the injury risk given his history

3 Likes

Is it all that much riskier than a summers worth of practices in Charlottesville? I’m asking because I honestly don’t know

1 Like

Eh maybe… maybe not. Live games always have the added possibility of random injury that a more controlled training environment does not have. My thought is in Charlottesville he’s with his regular medical staff, managers coaches etc. and they understand his history. I also wonder if the UVA staff have more of a vested interest in him than the Arg national team. Not that the national team doesn’t care about his wellbeing, but they don’t have the immediate investment and the immediate return on investment that UVa has.

1 Like

The first time I looked at these photos, I thought Papi and some other dude were wearing denim overall shorts with a white t-shirt underneath. LOL

2 Likes

That’d be a pretty awesome/hilarious olympics uniform

1 Like
10 Likes