Hoos Playing Overseas '20 - '21

I know we can do one for a replay…not sure about live…

1 Like

No worries… even with a free live FIBA feed? I don’t know anything about streaming rights… so I’m just asking.

1 Like

LIVE - FINAL: Arged BMSLAM Stal v Ironi Ness Ziona - FIBA Europe Cup 2020-21

Jerome is #55 in Blue… just scored the first two points!

4 Likes

would be cool to do our guys’ hiighlights and discuss in pod i think. as always I defer to @Merch

3 Likes

I don’t understand the significance of what I’m watching at all. But the atmosphere even with limited fans is awesome.

3 Likes

If you understand UEFA soccer… the two major Europe-wide club competitions are Champions League and the second tier is called Europa League… the FIBA Euro Cup is the basketball equivalent of the Europa League… the top tier one is called FIBA Euroleague which Billy Baron and Mike Tobey’s teams are playing in…

3 Likes

That’s a great explanation, thanks!!

1 Like

Do you think making the key as wide as they make it in FIBA would affect the pack-line? Would the no-middle make more sense if that was the case?

Meyinnse 5 for 5 from the floor for 10 points… was taken out with about 4 minutes left in the 2nd quarter due to picking up his second foul. 5 rebounds on the night so far w/ 3 offensive! Up 7 at the half…

Halftime Stats

1 Like

They really are looking for him to seal his man down low or on the roll (at least in some of the minutes that I’ve caught). Is he typically a featured guy on their team or does he just have a good matchup?

He’s the muscle down below in most games… so it’s a standard look.

Meyinsse is their 3rd leading scorer. Averages about 14 & 7 boards.

1 Like

Meyinnse and the Ironi Ness Ziona pull away in the last few minutes and win by 7 taking the 2021 Euro Cup!!! Blew up the boards… 14 points & 14 rebounds!

10 Likes

What list?

First post…

@jazznutUVA I’m late to the conversation but one of the questions I had got answered by you with the Europa League/Champions League comparison. Along those lines, how is it determined the number of teams that qualify for those competitions from each country? i.e top 4 in the prem go to Champions League, etc.

What are the best leagues in Europe, traditionally? Spain?

1 Like

It’s based on strength of league… so a coefficient is used similar to UEFA uses… here was the breakdown of the allotment for this year’s edition. The more teams, the stronger your league…

The Spanish League is considered the strongest w/ Russia, Turkey, Greece, Italy and France in the second tier.

The strangest thing about European basketball is that there are two governing bodies running annual International cups… there is Euroleague and Euro Cup run by Euroleague Basketball (Tier 1 & 2) and Champions League and European Cup run by FIBA Europe (Tier 3 & 4)… it’s actually pretty confusing w/ the names and the political issues.

4 Likes

Awesome, thanks man!

I’ve seen that aborted soccer Super League compared to Euroleague. Basically the best and richest teams got together and created their own league.

1 Like

Yes… you hit the nail on the head on that one. The Euroleague has 11 spots that are fixed “licensed” spots with the remaining 7 temporary. 5 being renewed annually and the remaining 2 being the Euro Cup winner (yay for Jerome and team!) as well as another domestic league winner. Everyone else is chosen for the Euro Cup.

3 Likes