Houston postgame thread

I really like Houston tho, is there a more physical team? They have a little Baylor in them.

1 Like

This is a really great point, Joe. If Casey and JAR panned out as our track record with players of that pedigree would indicate then we are in a completely different spot. What’s so crazy about our teams from 2013-2019 is just how few misses Tony had. A majority of the players recruited in that era either turned into a stud or at worst, a serviceable role player.

6 Likes

Yep great team, but basically rebuilt from last year (at least they have a star) and we weren’t even competitive, game over at first media TO. That is the thing that got me

2 Likes

Sasser and Edwards are great guards and they’re upperclassman.

Also they both hit really tough shots… I thought our defense was good.

1 Like

One more note in wrt to recruiting… CTB thought he would have Trey Murphy this year when he was recruiting.

3 Likes

What’s frustrating about that is you just know Franklin would be coming off the bench if Murphy was here so we could run Kihei and Reece together

7 Likes

He knew heading into last offseason and portal recruiting cycle that he wouldn’t have Trey. We added Franklin but really could’ve used another guard who can play. Unless he’s actually committed to playing Carson and Taine a lot (I’d prefer to see Taine get the minutes frankly)

1 Like

CTB is stubborn the way Roy Williams was stubborn, they just like their guys and they accepted it.

To me, this was the bright spot for the game. At the start of the game, he looked tentative and unsure. At times in the second half, he was a totally different player - tough, aggressive and confident. Will be enjoyable seeing him develop.

5 Likes

Houston is a bit like Baylor, but without NBA upside guards. Their guards are just good for college. We got worked by a “just good” college team … for all the reasons the various posts have laid out well discussing our roster deficiencies. I’m a critic of what Tony’s doing with lineups, but even I acknowledge that the roster overall is the primary culprit.

3 Likes

My takeaway from last night’s game and this season at this point is you can’t make Chicken Salad out of Chicken Sh$t.

That’s a harsh and admittedly unjust criticism of the current roster, but what I mean this team has a lower ceiling of potential than we are accustomed to seeing from CTB Virginia teams. I honestly believe CTB could move parts around Carson in, Kihei out, Taine pick the names, and the results against a team like Houston, is going to be the same result. Navy was an upset and that happens, but with the pieces UVA has available to them currently beating a quality top 25 team is going to be a struggle.

As Joe and several others have stated the misses on recruiting and a few transfers left the cupboards bare. Basketball is a tricky game in that one or two players can change a programs fortunes.

4 Likes

Random observation: Taine has Brax’s touch from the mid range. He has a sweet stroke from the perimeter and has a couple crafty moves at the rim. But his mid range shots are all U-G-L-Y and furthermore, have no alibi.

2 Likes

This is a small thing, but there is also a part of me that wonders if we made a mistake taking Hauser. I understand why you do it - he was great for the one year he played and we did eek out an ACC title (banners are always worth it, even in a year when the conference was terrible), but having him take a scholarship for two years and ward off any wings from wanting to commit here all so he could give us one year seems like an overall strategic mistake.

In my ideal world we’d only take transfers with 2+ years (and really preferably 3 years) available to us. Yes, the elimination of the red shirt year means you don’t lose that extra year of scholarship and they can chip in right away, but our system is entirely based on experience and cohesion - we seem to be a team uniquely poorly suite to band aid type additions. The red shirt year was honestly great for what we do, but it’s gone now, so it is.

3 Likes

I think you’re discrediting Edwards and Sasser a bit here.

Edwards has just as much upside that Butler had. Mitchell was a great college player but he’s not a sure thing in NBA, he was 23 in college… when I compare Sasser and Mitchell, I think they’re both great college guards and Mitchell didn’t have his breakout until the same age as Sasser is right now.

1 Like

Eh, we’ll see. Davion did develop a bit later. That’s true.

Disagree- we got two wings when Hauser was here: one was drafted 17 by the Pels and the other was top 40 or so (JAR) but didn’t work out. I think Henry Coleman would be a nice piece on this team but I don’t think Hauser’s presence deterred him.

1 Like

I was meaning more in the 2019 recruiting class as opposed to Abdur-Rahim in the 2020 class, but fair. And Murphy is such a frustrating case. Gave us some great contributions and his example will certainly help with recruiting, but only got one year out of him, and half of it he was still trying to find his place in our system and the team. Still, was a great addition (who technically had two years of eligibility when we got him)

I still am not a fan of one-year transfers, but maybe I’m just being stubborn.

2 Likes

Even with the 2022 class coming in, we need to hit the transfer portal hard in the off season. Can’t expect them to be major contributors day 1, especially if he doesn’t play them heavily (like Taine Igor or Carson). Need a strong talent infusion.

We may go on a win streak in ACC play only because the ACC for the last 3 years has been mid-major level competition.

On this roster there isn’t someone who is going to step up and appear to raise our team’s ceiling. In 2019-2020 it was Mamadi’s offensive development.

In 2020-2021, it was the emergency of Trey Murphy.

So far Jayden and Armaan are who they are. Reece and Kihei are who they are playing with each other. Maybe Kadin or Igor getting minutes? idk

We need more BEEF, and toughness in the Darion Atkins, Akil Mitchell, Mamadi Diakite, athleticism wise (even if not as refined)- even Jayden Gardner is a bull, but would like someone a bit taller and more athletic. I would also take ANOTHER Jack Salt tough guy.

Agree about the portal. And your point about the 2022 class is why we need to play the hell out of Taine and Igor (and Carson I guess but I think Taine’s ceiling is higher). We need those guys ready to contribute next season and not getting their first real role like Shedrick is now in his 3rd year in the program

2 Likes