Intel Report 4/13/22

1 Like

There’s a lot going on right now. The next two weeks will be very busy. Transfer recruiting is about to kick into high gear. New class of 2023 targets are emerging. And we’re still waiting on that college decision from one top target.

Transfer recruiting

Late cycle recruiting is about to really pick up. The dead period lifts on Friday, meaning there should be visitors on grounds soon.

The one name we haven’t been allowed to mention went public today. Ohio forward Bennett Vander Plas included Virginia in his final six along with Wisconsin, Ohio State, Virginia Tech, Illinois, and Iowa State. What I’ve heard is it’s actually more of a final three with the Hoos, Wisconsin, and another school. Wisconsin sources are reporting the third contender is Ohio State

You probably remember Vander Plas from the NCAA Tournament last season. He’s a Wisconsin native. His dad was a Green Bay teammate of Tony Bennett, coached by father Dick. He’s named after the Bennett family. So yeah, there’s a good connection with that one.

West Virginia guard Sean McNeil, another graduate transfer, also has Virginia in his final six along with Indiana, Ohio State, Cincinnati, Louisville, and Texas Tech. His recruitment appears to be more open among all finalists. Virginia recruited him a little out of junior college, so there’s a familiarity already in place.

From what I’ve heard, UVA believes they’re in strong contention for each of those players. It’s likely they’ll both visit in the near future.

They’re also trying to get involved with Wichita State wing Dexter Dennis, another player using his extra season. There are other schools with previous relationships though. It’s still new, but seems to be a tough hill to climb so far.

Late 2022 Action

The other name to watch for right now is 2022 forward Malik Reneau, who was previously committed to Florida. There was a good bit of optimistic chatter about him over the past week. That’s died down a little in the last few days. But UVA is still trying to get him in for a visit. He’ll see Indiana on Friday. Miami and Tennessee seem to be the other contenders.

Yes No Maybe

Virginia senior Jayden Gardner announced on Friday that he’ll return to UVA for his extra year. That was expected, of course. Everything still points to Kihei Clark returning as well, but it is curious that it hasn’t been made official yet.

Freshman forward Igor Milicic entered the transfer portal last week. I’m hearing there’s at least a small and maybe growing possibility that he could still return to UVA. He’s weighing professional opportunities as well as other colleges.

Former walk-on Malachi Poindexter is visiting Illinois State this weekend. He already posted once on twitter that he had committed there, then backtracked. The door is still open for his return as well, but it’s seeming less likely now.

And of course, sophomore guard Carson McCorkle announced his commitment to Wofford on Tuesday.

I think we’re done losing transfers. But then there’s always a possibility for round two if and when new players are brought in.

London

2023 Norcross (GA) point guard London Johnson delayed his commitment announcement, previously set for April 1st. He’s indicated it’ll come this Thursday now. Virginia is among his final six announced back in December along with North Carolina, Clemson, Georgia, Alabama, and Southern Cal.

His recruitment has gotten a little hairy at the end, that’s for sure. Confidence is still very high that Virginia will be the choice. But from what I’ve heard, there hasn’t been very clear communication on any of this. And there seems to be a bit of a disconnect between what London says publicly, and what’s going on behind the scenes. There’s still a battle going on right down to the finish line, assuming an announcement is actually made on Thursday.

This much is for certain. If he’s coming to Virginia, it’ll be announced soon. Presumably on Thursday, as he’s said. The darkhorse to watch out for is Southern Cal. They’ve made a late charge during the delay.

New 2023 Names

This past weekend’s live period has produced one new scholarship offer so far, to Rolling Meadows (IL) guard Cam Christie. He’s the brother of Michigan State’s Max Christie, who UVA recruited in the 2021 class. Michigan State offered Cam early on while recruiting his brother, but haven’t been too heavily involved yet. Home-state schools Illinois and Northwestern seem like the top early suitors.

It’s a little curious that there haven’t been any new offers to 2023 forwards yet. What happens with potential late additions for next season will factor into that, especially if they add a young player like Malik Reneau. It’s safe to say there are 2023 forwards who have UVA offers waiting on them, with Zayden High likely topping the list.

After writing the live period recap, I learned more about what Bennett was up to Indianapolis on Sunday. He was courtside to get a look at Cherry Creek (CO) forward Carey Booth, one of the hottest names of the week. And Bennett was also spotted watching Brewster Academy (NH) big man JP Estrella, another player that’s piling up offers.

One other interesting name that turned Bennett’s head in Indy. Thomas Haugh, a bouncy forward with a developing offensive game, has picked up offers from Maryland and Northwestern this week. He’s a Perkiomen School (PA teammate of UVA commit Ryan Dunn. Bennett was apparently very impressed with him. Expect he’ll be back to see more later this month

16 Likes

So you’re saying I should close this Malik Reneau highlight real Im currently watching.

Interesting

Can we just go ahead and start recruiting other pg prospects anyways. Im on board with others that even if he commits to us I feel like we could still lose him at any time. Rather just want a kid who wants to be here who will be a stud in years two and three rather than wanting to go pro ASAP (nothing wrong with that). Freddie Dilione, Taison Chatman, Silas Demary, Chris Johnson, Braelon Green, literally anyone else lol.

Watching clips of this kid on hudl, it reminded me of another 2023 I wanted to ask about. Any interest in Cade Phillips ?On that Atlanta aau team Skill Factory

I’ll add this on London. UVA will know tonight if the announcement is happening. I would hope if it’s not happening, he would make it known. I doubt we’d find out any other way.

17 Likes

Igor?

17 Likes

What a strange recruitment. This drama has got to be driving Tony crazy.

10 Likes

I don’t know how to ask this but is CTB to trusting or even a little naive in some of these recruitments. If LJ doesn’t publicly commit tomorrow he’s clearly strumg us along

6 Likes

It’s hard to tell whether HGN is optimistic or pessimistic about LJ haha

8 Likes

LJ hyping The Tip Off Classic minutes ago…

Good to know my Perkiomen viewing might pay off. :joy: can’t say I remember too much about Haugh, other than being the tall white kid who could shoot some.

2 Likes

Where does this rank on the weird recruitment power rankings? It might be number one

2 Likes

Mamadi had a weird thing with the Hassan Fofana angle, but that was pre-LRA

3 Likes

I think this is my fault. I am in a groupchat with some UVA friends who are also diehard UVA fans but they don’t follow basketball recruiting as much (more football baseball people). I rarely talk about UVA recruiting but I have told them over the years “it sounds like _______ player is commiting soon and UVA if the favorite”.

On God, I am 0-6 in those recruitment texts LOL. Like really UVA?

Edit: Quinerly, Jared Butler, Juzang, Keels, Warley there is definitely another one I forget
I dont think I texted them about Jeremy Sochan. I remember HGN saying staff felt really good about him and like they could get him soon, and then not 6 days later he commits to Baylor

10 Likes

Were we ever that close with Warley? I remember the offer, but didn’t remember it feeling like we were ever the favorite. By I forget a lot of stuff, so who knows.

2 Likes

Igor news makes me think he’s not getting the college interest he thought he’d be getting. Probably reading too much into it but what somewhat similarly strong program is going to take him right now?

1 Like

If Igor comes back no BVP, maybe still Malik though. Would think BVP would be deciding in next few weeks so Igor needs to make that call soon.

1 Like

Would love it if Igor came back, even if no BVP.

6 Likes

Think also he’s not getting the euro attention he’d hope to get

1 Like
1 Like

Excellent use of Dr. Evil.

2 Likes