šŸ› Introduction for new member (Hav's Playground)

I guess UVA won the great ā€œbumper sticker / bar hatā€ (UVA) vs. Old school helmet (UVa) debate sometime in the late 90s.

Tbh, I bet the postal abbreviation changes was the real kicker. When were those?

2 Likes

I find lotta people who dont know call us V A a lot. maybe more so in the south

1963 apparently: State Abbreviations - Who we are - About.usps.com

1 Like

I saw that, but apparently it took some time for them to gain widespread use / acceptance. I remember my folks still using the old ones in the 80s, at least.

1 Like

That reminds of one of my favorite trolls as a writer and podcaster, Va. Tech instead of VT or even VPI. They hated that and it brought a smile to my face every time I used it.

4 Likes

They especially hate vatech as one word. I endeavor to use it often.

7 Likes

Yep. You know what Iā€™m talking about.

1 Like

UVaā€¦something about this looks more elegant to meā€¦

As an aside, Vatech is actually a dental radiological equipment company. Unlike the other vatech, they actually produce quality productsā€¦

7 Likes

Season 1 Episode 3 GIF by Martin

1 Like

Nailed it for me there. lil style

1 Like

And presumably, the other vatech has teeth

7 Likes

Correct! Not only that, Vatech equipment would be pretty useless at vatechā€¦

2 Likes

My favorite mistaken ways to refer to UVa would be:

1. When I was in Air Force boot camp in bright and sunny Tyndall AFB, FLā€¦ there were 4 Arizona ROTC folks in my flightā€¦ one of them asked me the second day how the Pete Gillen & U of V relationship was working out.

2. Another Air Force conversation, canā€™t remember where, and someone saidā€¦ ā€œhey man, didnā€™t you go to UVā€¦ ?ā€ I just kept staring at him waiting him to finish. It never happened. LOL!

6 Likes

or the old Virginia U

2 Likes

How do they feel about this?

1 Like

Thatā€™s not so bad. Out here, I get a least one knucklehead a month who sees me repping my UVA gear and say, ā€œOh, did you go to Virginia Tech?ā€

Justifiable homicide is usually the first thing that leaps to mind.

5 Likes

Oh man that has happened to me before. hahahahha. Im like ā€œoh you proly wenf to Yaleā€ (while they have an Harvard shirt on)

3 Likes

Usually these guys donā€™t strike me as Harvard materialā€¦

3 Likes

people from up here that cant get into UVa get into Harvard. One thing Virginia proly has wrong

4 Likes

I was vacationing in Tobago once and was chilling on the beach with the wife while wearing a UVA hat. One of the locals came up and asked if I was a fan of UVA football. I was shocked that he knew. He said he liked watching American football on ESPN so he knew us and that VT was our rival.

7 Likes