Is Trey Murphy, III our best player?

Speaking of Caffaro, it’s up to the coaching staff to coach him to use his physical assets to the team’s advantage. I don’t see that they’ve done that.

1 Like

If we had a Kyle Guy or a Joe Harris, Caffaro would be huge in setting wide enough screens for them. But we don’t. And our struggles have been due to other teams taking this modern approach of 5 shooters on the floor. I have no idea on Caffaro’s ability to close out and guard away from the rim. He will be big for us vs UNC

2 Likes

Don’t forget Shedrick who still has maintained his fast feet since his growth spurt. I would also so that Murphy is faster and more athletic than Hauser. They both are still learning the defense so we may as well go with the higher potential player to start and that would be Murphy.

Why would we want one Trey over the other when both are producing? We theoretically could have taken the Notre Dame Trey as well.

1 Like

The thing is that Shedricks game and athleticism is more like Mamadi than Huff, so they could play together as Jay and Mamadi did previously.

Right but there aren’t many teams that have 5 players who can proficiently shoot from three, especially at the 5 position. I mean Jack Salt played a ton in his 4 years and we were able to figure it out.

Wouldn’t start Murphy over Hauser. Sam is a much more proven player even if he doesn’t have the same long term upside. I would continue starting Murphy next to Hauser though. This idea Sam going to the bench improves the team is a huge overreaction. If we are going to win anything this year it will be with Sam as a (if not THE) focal point.

2 Likes

The solution to Huff playing more aggressively is simple – hypnotize him so everybody he plays looks like Duke. Of course I’m joking, but there was a psychology at play that made him want to prove something last year to Duke that I wish we could tap into on a regular basis.

6 Likes

The Domers actually present a decent option for trying the twin towers option because their 4 isn’t a de facto wing. Huff should be able to handle Durham on D, and I’m betting Shedrick could handle Lazweski.

1 Like

We do have a Guy or Harris… McCorkle.
And he is our best 2 guard right now.

Who is the best 2 guard defensively?

1 Like

Morsell hands down

7 Likes

If I need a stop its Casey, unless he’s on a 6’8" guard.

3 Likes

I’m not sure id say he is our best 2 guard right now…but I actually would be intrigued to see him get some run. Whenever he has been out there, he has looked solid. It just hasn’t been during meaningful moments.

Crazy talk.

3 Likes

I was curious why McCorkle didn’t go into the game when the B/C team was on the court at the end of the Gonzaga game. Wondering if he was dinged up a little like Stattmann, or if Tony just wanted to try a particular line up with I think Caffaro, McKoy, JAR, Casey, and Reece for awhile?

JWILLY Said JAR got minutes bc of his length and offense…been playing well in practice

11 Likes

Haven’t had a chance to listen to the JWILLY show yet this week. But that is encouraging to hear about Jabri. Hope he earns more playing time as the season progresses.

3 Likes

That sounded more like coach speak than actual praise, but that’s just how I heard it. Frankly don’t expect JAR to get anymore real minutes anytime soon, but hey maybe he’ll surprise me.

Morsell is likely the best on ball 2-guard. Reece hasn’t been bad though.

5 Likes

Agreed on Reece. Re JAR, it’s nice to hear he’s been good in practice. He’s looked lost in games thus far (which is fine for a freshman early in the season)

1 Like