Italy trip game dates

Some people have been asking about the Italy trip. I got ahold of itinerary. It doesn’t include specific venues but does have game dates and the cities they’re staying in.

They’re scheduled to arrive in Rome on August 11th.

Game #1 is on the 13th in Rome

Game #2 is on the 16th in Florence

Game #3 on the 18th in Rapallo

Game #4 on the 19th also while n Rapallo

Lots of sight seeing and recommended restaurants in between. Should be an awesome trip.

26 Likes

Very interesting…thanks for that. Gotta keep that in mind. Hopefully I can break loose and watch some of those in person.

2 Likes

Going on tour brings teams together.

6 Likes

Great opportunity for building team cohesiveness.

Do they play Serie A level teams or lower level Italian teams?

3 Likes

Assuming they’re not….but any chance these games are open to the public?

2 Likes

About 8 years ago while working at the US base in Vicenza, Italy, I recognized Tom Izzo and his players were having lunch at the food court as they later practiced in our gym and were going to play a pro team that night as part of their tour. They were very relaxed and enjoying themselves and yes, definitely a team building moment.

6 Likes

I’ll be on Caserme Ederle & Del Din in 3-weeks… I’ll say hi for you.

3 Likes

Sounds good, it was Ederle where they hung out and played. Izzo was randomly talking with some people there in front of the bx - a real likable guy. I didn’t want to bother him. Shorter than you might think.

2 Likes

Dont know if we will see any of the games or not but this board would LOVE the combinations of players they will play in these type games. Shit Traudt may be offered on the spot in Italy to turn pro

9 Likes

Games in Spain were a mix of very local “pro” teams and barnstorming type teams. Eg, there was a Spanish guy who had just graduated from Miami. Pretty decent. Quality among the teams varied quite a bit

Re: open to the public - in Spain, games were open to the public, but not publicized. A couple message board posters on the Sabre managed to follow the team around and see all the games, but they had to be pretty persistent to figure out game times/locations. Games were not streamed, even though other schools who did more or less the same trip (Nova) did stream. I will let everyone take a wild guess where we will fall on that spectrum.

5 Likes

Looking forward to that 4K stream with Final 4 level presentation.

8 Likes

Rapallo is doable for me, but only just as we arrive in Milan on the 17th. But somehow I’ll have to convince my jet-lagged wife to make a four-hour round trip to watch a ball game. That hurdle may be insurmountable…

Edit: Thanks HGN!

9 Likes

Let her sleep at the hotel and go yourself. Win Win man

4 Likes

Trying to do the math to justify taking a trip to Italy two weeks after moving to the UK….to watch basketball games in random high school gyms that I don’t know that I’ll be able to attend

16 Likes

Man now i wanna go on tour again. Could do a 4 day tour catch a game or 2 for 1200ish i bet. Likely less.

1 Like

Close, yet so far.

1 Like

Wow, you too? I’m PCS’ing in UK in late July (if all goes well) but all the settling in will deny me the freedom to get out there, I’m afraid. I’ll be calculating things as well.

The only thing I have going for me is that my wife loves Italy (we used to live there) so if there are weekend games, I’ve got a shot.

3 Likes

In bocca al lupo!

1 Like

Go Go Go. I know people

3 Likes

Wonder if they will play former Texas Tech Red Raider Davide Morreti, you guys remember him, Dre knocked the ball out of his hand and his pinky touched the ball last.

4 Likes