⛹ Jacob Groves - Official Thread

I like Jennings individually as a player but yeah that pairing was not ideal. Figured the plan would be to add him and then a grad transfer stretch 5.

I’m interested to see how a Dunn/Groves frontcourt pairing is gonna look defensively. On paper they get shredded in the paint by any blue collar 5’s that are 240+ lbs but that’s probably gonna be a problem regardless of what lineup we put out there.

5 Likes

I think thats where they play the risk reward of ca. Goves offensive potential negate the opposing big. If yes then they can live with that lineup for stretches.

2 Likes

What I really want to know is if he can grow out his hair again and look like Napoleon Dynamite :rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Reece, Issac, Rohde, Dunn, Minor with Groves, Harris, Bond, Gertrude off bench??

3 Likes

He will be a good piece of depth. Big body with a good shot and a 1 year rental

3 Likes

I’ve said this before but IMO the single biggest determining factor for our ceiling next season (outside of Reece returning) is whether or not Dunn develops a consistent perimeter jumper. If he becomes a legit threat from 3 then the worrying about him losing minutes to Groves due to any offensive deficiencies becomes much, much smaller.

Being able to have Dunn and Groves both stretch out opposing defenses in a 5 out would absolutely make it worthwhile to give up some buckets in the paint to true bigs.

6 Likes

Don’t worry about it. Dunn will have to guard his guy and Groves too

4 Likes

Does this impact going after Stevenson for a 23 reclass?

It wouldn’t but i don’t believe that will happen

2 Likes

A BVP upgrade?

1 Like

Funny wrinkle to this- having two guys from Gonzaga’s backyard in Groves and BB. Is eastern Washington the new Wisconsin for Hoo pipeline??

6 Likes

I’d agree with that. I’d maybe take it a step further, Dunn as a reliable 3point shooter would be the ideal scenario. However, i thin the reality is if Dunn can just become a consistent offensive threat it will unlock a new chamber for the Hoos.

8 Likes

Watching the clips, he’s sort of a poor man’s Manek from UNC. Maybe not quite the toughness but similar offensive versatility. We needed some offense and hopefully he’ll help provide it. He needs a BVP mustache.

6 Likes

Just checked, he’s never averaged more than ~21 mpg any season, even at Eastern Washington.

2 Likes

“My team is on the floor.”
So Reece is Jimmy Chidwick?

Agh. Chitwood. Good catch, HGN.

I dont like any of this. Which means our coach is a genius makin moves that I will love soon

3 Likes

Jimmy Chitwood! I had an assistant coach in high school who used to pull the tv cart into the locker room and watch Hoosiers, before every home game. At the end, he’d walk away muttering Jimmy Chitwood baby Jimmy Chitwood.

Same guy was also an assistant football coach and did the same thing with Rocky before games. Great dude, very eccentric.

14 Likes

Groves is like the anti-Traudt.

From Spokane. Started his career at Eastern Washington (17 miles). Transferred to Oklahoma (1,720 miles). And now to Charlottesville (2,500 miles).

Probably has “girlfriends” in Spokane, Cheney, and Norman, too.

14 Likes

Dont get me started on Junior High School assistant coaches in Fayetteville Tennessee

4 Likes

I would say our defense, honestly. Specifically, how quickly can the transfers + Bond pick up the little crucial stuff.

2 Likes