Justin McKoy statement

Key phrase.

3 Likes

When put in context, HGN was just commenting on how 3 players who signed late transferred/left the team. He wasn’t speculating at all about McKoy, just mentioning that, assuming McKoy plays out his career, he’d be the first of that group. This has gotten out of hand. I agree it’s a shame players feel that pressure, but let’s not start pointing fingers and overreacting

4 Likes

As the original poster re: McCoy and Stattmann I’ll say that my comments were only based on a fairly consistent history of transfer-outs under CTB. I hope anybody who reads my stuff knows that I love these guys more than my own family, sometimes.

Shayok, Reuter, Thompson, Stith, Anthony, Barnette, Jesperson, Barton, Regan, Jones, Spurlock… pretty much 1x per year. Stands to reason there may be one this year, especially with the class we have coming.

Zero disrespect to Justin and Kody. Love these guys. They both had great seasons. I hope they stay, compete and earn time.

I’m sorry that if I offended you. I think it’s a realistic possibility that someone leaves the team. It happens most seasons. Kids simply want to play the game they’ve given their lives to; it’s not that they’re not “UVa-enough.” Couldn’t blame anybody who left to get minutes.

I’m happy to follow any posting guidelines relative to transfers - definitely not trying to abuse the forum. Trying to keep the vibes positive.

7 Likes

Yea, I agree. McKoy played well what time he did play and I’m sure he will play an important role on this team. Let’s be thankful that McKoy is a good player with a good attitude. Now let’s move on to another subject

2 Likes

lol that this board is the cause of McKoy’s statement

2 Likes

Regardless of how you chose to interpret these comments, would you ever make this type of comment to Justin McKoy’s face or if he was within hearing distance? I don’t think so.

My intent wasn’t really to call out specific posters. My point is to show that this behavior is occurring very commonly among fans, often without realizing it ourselves.

None of us have bad intentions, but that doesn’t mean that we don’t unthinkingly make comments that could easily be very hurtful. Easy to make hurtful comments and forget about them, but the subject of these comments will take it much harder. Marco Anthony endured a lot of crappy comments about transferring during his time at UVA.

If it’s something that you would never say in the presence of a player or recruit, it’s probably a type of comment that you should not be posting or making online.

3 Likes

Uh, technically, Badocchi didn’t transfer. His situation was unique.

2 Likes

Is that really hurtful though?

I have no insight into Justin’s headspace. But an analysis of scholarships is hardly the same as the abuse social media is capable of.

2 Likes

Do you think former players would be happy to see themselves described as “unnecessary settles”? Do you think potential recruits would be happy to read about themselves as Plan Bs?

This is a public forum linked to former UVA players. It’s not hard for our recruiting rivals to point to negative comments on this board and use that against UVA in recruiting. Our rivals could easily say “check out this board linked to former UVA players. They describe you as a Plan B recruit”.

These types of comments should not be circulating openly on public forums, especially one that is linked to former UVA players.

1 Like

My use of ‘Plan B’ in no way suggested ‘settling’, necessary or otherwise. The simple truth of the matter is that every school enters every recruiting cycle with a short list of top targets to whom they extend offers. Typically, this process begins before the junior year in high school for most of these prospects. As their high school season ends, and the spring evaluation periods begin, we typically see a second round of offers made. To my way of thinking, these are the ‘Plan B’ offers. I think most people view these recruits not as necessarily inferior to the first round, but as late emerging/developing prospects or those who were simply unknown earlier. I don’t believe ‘Plan B’ is a reflection of their ability, or even desireability, but, rather, their public profile or state of development. I don’t think of any of them are prospects for whom the offers are ‘settling’.

And, in Justin McKoy’s case, let us remember that he wasn’t a recruit who was ignored. He de-committed from Penn State late in the process, and he was pursued by reasonably elite programs. Virginia was fortunate to sign him, IMO.

1 Like

lol I call it as it is. Yeah Badocchi was a flier and Barnette was a settle back when they tried to use every scholarship no matter what. Kihei Clark and Akil Mitchell were a settle and a flier too only in the early signing period. They worked out alright.

The guy’s just trolling, people. In the same post he’s obsessed with you’ll find Malcolm Brogdon and Jarred Rueter grouped because they were both offered in July. No one’s comparing them. haha

11 Likes

I actually think McKoy is going to play more than people expect next year. Everyone is excited about the offensive improvement next year with the addition of Hauser & Jabri and the hopefully improved play of our players from this year but the defensive loss of Diakite and Key is significant. Who is going to effectively guard the guys they defended this year. McKoy may be part of the answer.

5 Likes

Personally I was surprised that JM didnt play more this season. When he had his chances he seemed more than comfortable on the court and in latter part of the season always maintained great team demeanor. Am not being negative (i think) but he even said mid year he didnt know why his minutes changed. He deserved to know that however smart to stay put at UVa

7 Likes

I was pleased with his play as well. Played good D and solid on the boards.The same as in years past as the year went on the rotation got smaller and practically all lineups were about matchups

2 Likes

I suspect McKoy’s minutes were less a reflection of his ability, and were due more to the depth on the front line. As it was, Coach Bennett was using a eight man rotation during the conference season (Clark, Woldetensae, Stattmann, Morsell, Diakite, Huff, Key, Caffaro). I’m not convinced that McKoy is a perimeter player now (although he might become one), but there were four players in ahead of him on the front line. There just weren’t that many minutes to be found there after Christmas. And, he was the true frosh.

2 Likes

Yep that’s pretty much it. Link to article I posted about it back in early Feb: Virginia freshman Justin McKoy stays prepared despite limited minutes

Not easy to get minutes behind two talented seniors in Diakite and Key.

3 Likes

McKoy didn’t have to or need to address this transfer issue, but he did so with the apparent reason to put this issue to rest. So take the cue, and give it a rest…let it go. Should not have been raised previously, should not be continued now (including variants like whether he made right decision). Let the issue go. Glad to hear that him is coming back.

6 Likes