šŸ‘‹ LRA Members - Introduce Yourself

This thread is AMAZING. It makes me even more excited for the season to actually start so that we can have more Hoo moments and less cyclical recruiting talk.

5 Likes

Realizing Iā€™ve never introduced myself in spite of lurking here for a year. Iā€™m Becky, and I live in Richmond. Grew up in Abingdon (SWVA) but went to UVA 1987-1993 (bachelorā€™s/masterā€™s). Iā€™ve moved around quite a bit since but also worked at UVA 2003-2005. Have always loved sports and have followed almost all UVA sports closely since arriving at UVA in the fall of 1987. Didnā€™t make it to a ton of basketball games during my time there, because the ticket process for students was a challenge (providing the ticket office with a self-addressed stamped envelope as a lottery for tickets for each home game). Went to more lacrosse, soccer, and baseball games and only missed one football game (step-sisterā€™s wedding) during my 6 years. I get to watch most games on tv these days & we try to get over to Charlottesville for a game or two each season, but it can be hard to justify the cost since itā€™s just me and my kid who doesnā€™t love sports. Working on him. Anyway - hi!

16 Likes

Whats up @HOORVA thanks for the intro. I am 93 as well

3 Likes

In one of the threads this weekend, another poster mentioned starting a thread so members can kind of introduce themselves to the group. Figured Iā€™d do that as we all (patiently) wait for hoops recruiting info :slight_smile:

Letā€™s go with these questions.

1. Hometown
  2. Current location
  3. UVa grad or current student?
    3a. If yes, when & major?
    3b. If no, college grad elsewhere or current student?
  4. Occupation?
  5. When you became a fan

For me:

1. Charlottesville
  2. Richmond (sons at VCU)
  3. No
    3b. Joined the Air Force, lived in CO for 11 years, graduated from a D2 school in Denver but remained a UVa fan for sports
  4. Retired from the Air Force last year (Lt Col), now work as an IT Program Manager on a Dept of Veterans Affairs contract
  5. Dad was a townie who did his undergrad & Masters at UVa so always were at games growing upā€¦first I remember was UHall for a game Ralphā€™s FR year. Hooked since.
9 Likes

Good idea, I like this

1. Fayetteville Tennessee but born in Illinois, lived in Kansas then Chicago (Burbank south side) Georgetown KY then TN

2. Jersey City NJ

3. UVa grad 1993

4. Dad

5. Watching UVa in the 1989 ACC Tourney in Atlanta then NCAA Tourney in Nashville first 2 rounds

10 Likes

Hey, all! Just joined this morning, but Iā€™ve been following the podcasts for a minute now.

1. Roanoke, VA

2. Knoxville, TN

3. No
    3b. Graduated from Radford University in 2016

4. Web/Graphic Designer

5. Iā€™ve been a die-hard fan since my dad took me to my first game at Scott Stadium in 2002 vs NC State

13 Likes

Thanks for doing this:

1. Lynchburg, VA
  2. Charlotte, NC
  3. Grad school UVA (undergrad HSC)
  4. Software Sales working remotely (hence the flexible schedule which allows me to post on here way too much during ā€œwork hoursā€ lol
  5. As early as I can remember. Started in the late 90ā€™s going to football games. Became a basketball die hard when Tony was hired.
11 Likes

Great Idea

1. Charlottesville, VA
  2. Charlottesville, VA
  3. JMU
  4. Human Resources
  5. Born and raised in Charlottesville so a life long fan. Earliest memory is winning the 1976 ACC tourney.
11 Likes
  1. Greensboro, NC
  2. Bedford, NY via Manhattan
  3. No
  4. Film Producer
  5. Early 90s. I grew up in Charlottesville before moving to NC.
12 Likes

Great idea:

1. Aiken, SC
  2. Savannah, GA
  3. Yes, CLAS 2001 English major
  4. Executive Director of non-profit serving PwD
  5. 1996ā€“sports teams were part of reason I applied
7 Likes

Love this! Need something else to think about besides our zero transfers.

1. Long Island, NY
  2. NYC
  3. UVA Law Grad 2021
  4. Lawyer - securities/corporate stuff. Things youā€™d all find boring, Iā€™m sure.
  5. Forever - have family from the area and needed a team to latch onto as a youngster.
8 Likes

1: RVA
2: Bardstown, KY
3: nope
4: Bourbon Distillery
5: Born in 72, started during Ralph years thru 1990, then followed Grateful Dead from 90-95 (when JG died)ā€¦ picked back upā€¦ season tix for PG & DL years (ouch) hardcore for those and every since.

9 Likes

Wow, had no idea the older thread existed, but some good stuff in there! And see a few OG posters who are still around :wink:

4 Likes
  1. Charlottesville
  2. Ferncliff, Va (Louisa County)
    3a. N/A
    3b. US Army out of HS for 4 years then Harvard on the Hill (PVCC Associates Degree in IT)
  3. Buyer for Two Combined Cycle Power Plants
  4. My parents had season tickets to football, baseball and basketball. My Grandfatherā€™s business (later my Dadā€™s) worked on the Boilers for UVA. Started going to games in 1966. Jim West was my neighbor so I went to many baseball games (UVA and Charlottesville Hornets). Frank Quayle moved in next door after his NFL career ended so ended up at a lot of football games and practices.
9 Likes

1: Gladys, VA
2: Lynchburg, VA
3a: No (daughter is UVA class of ā€™21)
3b: Lynchburg College (now University of Lynchburg, which sounds weird)
4: CPA/Auditor/Corporate Compliance
5: Earliest fandom was ā€™76 ACC Tournament run, hardcore fan since ā€™79-80
(still have a scrapbook 12 year old me made of the NIT run)

13 Likes
  • Blacksburg
  • Charlottesville
  • UVa grad or current student? Naw
    3b. Naw
  • Business dawg
  • Whenever I started being mentally aware - but started knowing players around 1992
10 Likes

Charlottesville
Lubbock, Tx
Yes. History 1986, summer of 85
Defined grew up a fan. Was hooked at an early age. My dad was good friends with Bill Gibson. I remember as a youngster going to his house in greenbrier subdivision. One hoop game I got to sit at the end of the bench. I think I was 9/10. Participated in the punt pass and kick things. Was lucky enough to get recognized at halftime at Scott Stadium(foreshadowing). Field was grass way back then. Was a huge hoopster as a kid until high school, even went to Carolina basketball school summer before my freshman year in hs, winning the all camp free throw competition. Got to hs played jv hoops
And some varsity, but Rich Lyons was the coach and my hoops career ended. Played baseball in hs, kicked a football as well. Was lucky enough to further my education at Uva , kicking the ball at Scott Stadium
Was there with Ralph, enjoyed the hell out myself way too much. I have added way too much
Proud father of two beautiful girls.

11 Likes
  1. Danville, VA
  2. Richmond, VA
  3. 1987 grad (Econ major, history minor)
  4. Claims Supervisor for a Property & Casualty insurer
  5. Became a fan during '76 ACCT; became a diehard during '77-'78 season (Lamp & Rakerā€™s first year)
10 Likes
  1. Vinton, VA
  2. Bedford, VA
  3. Class of '93, American Govā€™t and History minor
  4. Commonwealthā€™s Attorney (Prosecutor)
  5. Ralph Sampson years
7 Likes

Tuttle alum!

Edit feel free to add your coolest suite mate from first year hometeam

7 Likes