Mailbag: Transfers, Super Seniors, 2023 Recruits etc

And what do you think his chances of getting future transfer recruits will be after that?

Could be like the chicken or the eggā€¦ if you donā€™t have transfers out, do you need transfers in?
Will there be transfers out from the rotation guys if they are getting playing time based on performance?
Could be since weā€™ve consistently had rotation guys transfer out since Tony arrived.
Morsell, McKoy, Shayok, Thompson, Jesperson, Barnette, Harrell, Baron
Hall and Hunter both said they likely would have transferred if there was no sit out rule then.

So if Traudt is better than Gardner and McKneely or Milicic or Murray is at least as good as Franklin they shouldnā€™t play?

I didnā€™t talk about what should happen. I talked about what I think will happen based on Bennettā€™s past behavior. You ever interview anyone for a job? You know the old adage, thereā€™s no better predictor of what a person will do in a given situation than what they have historically done in the same or similar situations.

2 Likes

Yep thatā€™s 1 reason why McKoy left - he couldnā€™t trust he would get consistent playing time.

I actually think Dave has a lot of interesting (in a good way) opinions, which I like. Thatā€™s why I donā€™t use the ignore feature.

I think the way he shares his opinion is annoying. It almost always seems to have a negative slant and a know it all style. Thatā€™s how I read it at least.

3 Likes

The question is whether an established upperclassman starter will be unseated by an underclassman. I canā€™t recall it happening in the CTB era.

As someone who enjoys reading posts by DavetheWave and Haney, Iā€™ll admit that Iā€™ve probably reached the saturation point on posts that the 3 Mā€™s should be playing more, and I donā€™t have much interest in an argument that Huff should have played more his rFR and rSoph years and would have increased UVAā€™s winning margins in its 2019 national title run. Iā€™m ready to move on to the next unproveable controversyā€¦ and here it is, Kihei would have been a minor bench contributor the rest of his career at UVA like Nolte was after his first year if his pass to Diakite in the Purdue game had instead gone into the stands behind the basket.

4 Likes

Closest I can think of are Shayok and Thompson getting supplanted by Guy and Jerome. They would have been seniors and Sophomores, respectively, but Shayok and Thompson o lay started like 30 games combined the prior season so I dunno if that counts as ā€œestablished startersā€.

1 Like

Am trying to think of any time this has hapened anywhere

I know how you feel. I found pretty much the exact same thing happening on all the forums I was a member of. I pulled my subscription on all of them, including this place. I am not sure it means anything but I find it interesting that The Sabre posted the other day (something to the effect of) that subscribers were now at half of their past running average or something. Maybe others are sick of the constant rehashing over and over and over and over. So, I guess I will be slammed or whatever, but I donā€™t care since I am probably at the end of coming here at all.

2 Likes

Franklin should get good mins. But if Isaac plays well and Franklin continues to struggle from 3 and is inconsistent then he may lose his starting position. Franklin has improved but 26% 3 ptfg is not gonna cut it. Thankfully he has been playing more to his strength driving and pulling up mid range. Those are two skills recent teams have desperately needed.

1 Like

Mamadi took Jack Saltā€™s starting spot

Edit: might not fit the mold I just realized since Mamadi was a Jr

2 Likes

Or even if Mamadi missed the shot?

I think next years roster will also really help in terms of providing more space for Franklin and Gardener to do what theyā€™re good at. In its current iteration we have literally no floor spacing

1 Like

If that happens theyā€™ll just start together at the 2-3 like in your lineup. Only way Armaan isnā€™t starting is if McKneely beats him out at the 2 AND someone else beats him out at the 3. Just donā€™t find that realistic given a)Tonyā€™s past and b) Armaan is a decent 3% away from an All ACC season. Heā€™s been very good at the other methods of scoring the ball.

If Kihei hadnā€™t made ā€œthe passā€ or Mamadi had missed ā€œthe shotā€, we as UVa fans would still be questioning 3 years later why we had to play what amounted to a road game in the Elite 8 against a very good team, as a 1 seed. Thatā€™s not talked about much now because of the outcome, but still amazes me.

13 Likes

I get that. Overall itā€™s our first difficult season in quite a while, so it doesnā€™t surprise me all the boards are more negative overall. Hopefully with next season will come more positivity for a bunch of reasons - team playing better, JPJ full again, etc. But this has been a hard stretch on the court and on message boards.

3 Likes

My big worries about all the optimism for next year is:

1. Very few freshmen in the NCAA really make an impact. The ones that do are typically OAD types that we donā€™t get.
  2. When we project a starting line-up thatā€™s basically the same as this yearā€™s team, I donā€™t get super excited given we play both terrible offense and terrible defense this year.

And I LOVE the class coming in next year, I just think itā€™s probably two years away.

Also, can we go recruit a post we can get excited about! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thatā€™s an absolutely crazy take on my hypothetical. As soon as I can find them, Iā€™ll post the articles Iā€™m thinking about from Psychology Today that demonstrate it has to be your personal failure that causes you to go into a spiral of doubt and self-blame that ends in the destruction of your careerā€¦ Hmm, now that I think about it more, though, maybe it was the fact that Diakite didnā€™t miss the shot that gave both Kihei and Tony the necessary confidence in Kihei thatā€™s resulted in his getting more playing time than any other player this past 4 years. We clearly need to explore this scenario more. Maybe a whole new thread?

1 Like