Most-Impactful Men’s Basketball Player ‘20-‘21

Who will be most-impactful this season? Stattman, McCoy, Morsell, or Caffaro? I’m going out on a limb with Stattman. Don’t hang me until you watch his 2019-2020 highlights. Keep in mind, the adjustment to college basketball, physical maturation, and very little freshman experience. I think we could be surprised with him receiving significant minutes due to a number of reasons. What say you?

2 Likes

If we want to make the Final Four it better be Morsell.

2 Likes

Obviously, he has the potential to be the most dynamic if that 3 - pointer starts to fall.

3 Likes

Morsell followed by Caffaro and then McCoy. Stattman will get minutes early in the season but expect Jabri to take most of his minutes by mid season.

4 Likes

I hope Jabri earns minutes. Offensively, I think he’ll be fine but the comments by Williford regarding his defense were somewhat alarming. Unless CTB changes, I’m afraid someone may not receive the time expected.

1 Like

Willy could also be sandbagging I hope :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Great thread topic!

I agree with the above poster who mentioned Morsell as most likely, but I’m hoping McCoy is right there. I think he’ll provide important versatility on defense, pick up some of the rebounding that we lost to graduation and contribute a bit more on the offensive end than might otherwise be expected.

2 Likes

Morsell. I’m betting he’s ironed out his shot, although I don’t expect him to be an above average shooter (if he can hit 30% I’ll be ecstatic). That will make opponents respect him enough to play him honestly and with his length he is terrific driving. He won’t need to press with Sam on the floor and can let the game come to him (he sort of reminded me of Mamadi early in his career where he was a black hole when.he got the ball). His defense will keep him on the floor if he does that.

Next is McKoy. He’s going to be the Swiss army knife guy. There will be games where he is a under 5 minutes on the floor and then there will be games he’s on the floor for 22 minutes. Next year is his break out year.

Papi and Stat are going to have trouble seeing the court for prolonged periods on a consistent basis and will be out quickly when there aren’t good match ups for them. Papi will need good shooters out there as he morphs into the Jack Salt role. I think Stat shoots the 3-ball better - he really has more time to get the shot off than he thinks and when he doesn’t rush, he’s really pretty good. He just needs to be confident and not hesitate for that fraction that allows his man to close out on the 3.

As to Jabri, it may take 10 games, but he’s going to be hard to keep out of the starting 5. His defense may be shaky to start (Morsell’s was shaky too but he was so good individually he could recover). For me, starting 5 will be Jay, Kihei, Sam, Casey and Tomas to start the season.

2 Likes

Casey is my answer for basically all the reasons everyone else said. He can already play defense the CTB way and has some offensive spark. If the shot starts the fall he’s really a complete player.

Statman is in a similar position. His offense is there or we’ve seen glimpses of it but his D is lacking. If he can find his confidence he has more upside than Casey.

I love Papi but i struggle seeing him make any significant impact. He will get some more minutes this season and he may even have a big game but I wouldn’t peg him as a breakout player. Too mucn depth around him and too many things to work on.

1 Like

McKoy guys. McCorkle has two C’s. McKoy has a C and a K.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reminder - I know better! :sunglasses:

Good post! In my opinion and it’s just that, I think McKoy will make major strides this year. I think you will see him in the lineup when we go small at the five and backing up Hauser at the 4(minimal). Due to JAR, Stattman, and Woldentensae, I don’t think we will see him as much at the 3. However, I could see Stattman being the Swiss Army knife, playing the two and three, as well as possibly bringing the ball up as a point forward, on occasion, like Key this past year. Morsell, will play lots of minutes if those shot are falling because he can be a shut-down defender. Caffaro will probably play slightly more but probably not significantly due to Shedrick and going small at the five on occasion.

All-in-all, after reviewing last years highlights, Stattman is a more valued asset than many may recognize. Like Morsell, if his 3 starts to fall more consistently and his confidence in his release grows, he may surprise.

3 Likes

If we make the Final Four… the best outcome is we are still having this argument after the season. :smiley:

1 Like

Agree with you exception Kody. He doesn’t have the lateral mobility to guard a good 2 and and big 3/small 4 gives him trouble. He has to make the other team mismatch him at the other end and that really depends on his outside shot. If you can slack off of him and he doesn’t shoot, he’s a liability on the floor for me. But that’s why I’m me and CTB is CTB.

1 Like

I’m going to respectfully slightly disagree with a few small things brought up above.

First, on Stattmann, I personally see no timeline in which he is tasked with regularly bringing the ball up the floor. He does not have the handles for that unless something has changed dramatically, and we will have Kihei, Reece and Casey, all of whom would be better choices (Woldetensae too probably). I see Stattmann playing some real minutes at the 3 in the first half of the season because he knows the defense and is more experienced, but I would guess his minutes will be eaten into by JAR as the season goes on. Not saying he won’t be playing at the end of the season - I think he will - but I think if anyone’s role is likely to diminish from the beginning of the year to the end of it, it is him. He played a good amount last year because his defense took a big leap forward, but his shot still has fundamental mechanical problems that makes it inconsistent and he’s not scoring off the dribble very much. He’s good in transition (albeit scoring some pretty funky finishes) but the rest of his game still needs work. We also haven’t heard much of anything about him from practices, so I guess I’d be a little surprised if he took a massive leap (although you can never count on rumors or absence of them for much).

I also think Caffaro will play more and contribute more than some others are suggesting. Counting on Kadin to give us big minutes at the 5 when he hasn’t played at all yet seems aggressive, especially since if there is one spot on the floor where it’s seemingly harder for inexperienced players to get major minutes on our team it is the 5. Huff will have many games where he gets into foul trouble, and I think Caffaro will cover a lot of those minutes. Maybe we end up running some super small line-ups with McKoy and Hauser as the biggest guys out there, but neither of them has the defensive versatility of a Diakite or Dre-like player, so that’s a little harder to see. This is another situation where maybe as the year goes on Kadin really eats into Caffaro’s minutes, but I’d be a little surprised if Caffaro didn’t have a significant role for a big chunk of the season.

And after all of that I’ll also say this - I have no idea what I’m talking about and will probably be wrong. But throwing it out there.

4 Likes

Morsell defense was NEVER shaky in my opinion. I actually think other than kihei. Casey was our best perimeter defender.

10 Likes

Dragon, did you really mean tu say Kody has more upside than Casey or you made an error? Thanks

3 Likes

When it come tu Mckoy. I hope TB doesnt try tu make him intu another Wilkins type offensively. He is a much better offensive player and can score from the perimeter. These are the tu out of 9 topics I will pay close attention tu. One of them is, The recruitment of Kaufman. If he commit, how will this effect Mckoy future. The next one is, how TB use Mckoy. I think both things could determine Mckoy future as a HOO, GOOD OR BAD!

4 Likes

I also think Caffarro will have a better season than many believe. I was told he is looking good and doing good so far. I also heard He is a black hole. When he get the ball. Good luck with him passing it back out. LOL

I edited THINK TU BELIEVE

5 Likes

I see your point but CTB showed a lot of trust in him due to his defense and intangibles. I think his height helps offset some of his weaknesses, except elevation on his release point.

1 Like