UVa Players NBA Draft Chat

2 differences, Kispert was coming back to a loaded team so defenses couldn’t key on him and in person workouts were limited last summer, so it was harder to get evaluated.

I didn’t look too hard to find 2020 mocks, but the few I found had him 45-60 or undrafted. Maybe he didn’t get a draft promise. Maybe he was betting a possible 2 way or Exhibit 10 deal vs the 1st round. He wasn’t wagering that much that he couldn’t get the next year and he was coming back to a possible championship team in his home state.

I see some parallels, but I see a lot of differences too.

In the end, I wish him well in whatever he decides. Hopefully he makes the right choice for him.

2 Likes

Murphy will still only be 21 next year. I wouldn’t bucket guys based on class but instead by age. Plenty of juniors are 21 or older. He’s at least young for his class.

Also shooting 50% from 3 is an absurd expectation. Nba drafts on potential, Trey would be viewed as a late bloomer who is still improving and getting stronger.

5 Likes

Soooo how we recruiting this? Tell Seth Lundy (or a similar type yet to be named more likely) “yo you can start at Seton Hall or Maryland or even FSU if they push (since they contacted) but for us you would still get starter minutes playing 15 minutes at the 3 and 15 minutes at the 4 off the bench. Also if Murphy leaves you get the three spot”?

4 Likes

How could FSU guarantee anyone starting minutes, they’re gonna be loaded next year (returners + #3 recruiting class). Our main selling point should be that we have a tiny 2021 class and there is 1 guy who plays your position who may get drafted. Oh we also just lost 2 stretch bigs who were full time starters with Murphy last year

1 Like

He’ll get lots of run in their 11 man rotation and a lot of his highlights gave me flashbacks of when FSU would run on us to a transition 3 (which we need to do as well pls. Whether it’s murphy back or a new shooter at the 3). If we do pursue Lundy though I think Seton Hall Maryland Pitt UConn and some upper level mid majors would be our biggest competition.

I wouldn’t mind Corey Walker at all and I know that’s one @HoozGotNext mentioned in his last article.

2 Likes

That’s not what happened with guy. He gave a standard declaration akin to testing the waters at first. He then changed it a few days later to signing with an agent and definitely not coming back

1 Like

I think your argument is based on the assumption that Murphy will get a guaranteed 2 year contract as a second round pick, which is no where near a given. So the choice to stay in the draft may be a little more risky than you state if he’s not projected as a 1st rounder. I agree that Murphy could play his way out of the draft entirely if he stays at UVA, but given his steep improvement as he’s grown physically in college, I think he’s more likely to raise his draft position if he stays here.

Exactly. We went through this in a thread last week. The notion that a mid second round pick is going to be rewarded with sure fire riches simply isn’t as true as lambeth and others make it out to be.

I’m using Isaiah Joe as the benchmark. He got a promise from the Sixers and they took him at 49 and gave him a guaranteed deal.

My premise is that if Murphy gets a promise like that, he’s risking a lot to come back. If he gets no promises, or just an Exhibit 10 or 2 way promise, there’s a lot less at risk, but he’ll be the focus of defenses next year, so he’ll have a tougher time showing off his improved skills.

2 Likes

31-45 picks of last year’s draft where murphy is expected to go this year. Discounting the one guy staying overseas, 11/14 got guaranteed contracts at the NBA level, 2 got 2-way deals, and another was placed on the G League roster. Those are pretty good odds.

9 Likes

I don’t think FSU promises anyone starting mins. The way they run their rotation they go 11 deep and everyone plays. Just the way it is.

1 Like

The assumption is that he leaves because a team (or multiple) has promised him that two year guaranteed contract. Not that he will leave without a promise.

1 Like

Sorry but the vast majority of mock drafts have trey outside the top 40. Respectfully, no one but you sees him as a possible first round pick. Mid second round would imply more like 42 to 52–a very different set of outcomes than what you showed.

It’s not what mock drafts are saying. Its what teams are telling the players. Not what internet stats-obsessors project as who goes where. And there are workouts to improve standing to. All it takes is one team promising “we will take you at 36” and he’s gonzo.

17 Likes

1 Like

A USA Today mock draft just out today has Murphy going at #31: NBA Mock draft 2021 3.0: Latest update after March Madness

5 Likes

Anyone know how reliable promises are by a team where they tell a player that they will draft you and give you a guaranteed contract? A lot can change and depending upon what happens in the draft and last minute trades, seems like those promises might not be kept. Does Trey really need multiple promises from teams in order to feel comfortable staying in the draft after July 19?

1 Like

Nothing is set in stone until the pick is made, but I’d imagine agent would come into play as well. If a guy is represented by a large/reputable firm, with many clients, it’s probably not in a team’s best interest to blow smoke…could hurt in future negotiations with other players.

4 Likes

Yeah, agent definitely matters but nothing is ever really set in stone. More often than not, the promise is honored. Think the 2nd round guys have obviously less leverage on where they get picked.

Here’s one where it didn’t work out so well for Isaiah Joe (or maybe it worked out by the fact that he got drafted to begin with).

1 Like

Is there a point where the Virginia staff has to know if he plans to stay in the draft? If they want to fill the spot he plays, could be tough to convince someone to come in with Murphy possibly back unless it’s a ‘21 kid or a 1st year transfer.

3 Likes