NC Central Game Thread

Had that same observation during the blue white scrimmage. Dunn missed most of if not all his warmup shots prescrimmage.

3 Likes

CTB mentioned in post-game, but NCCU is well coached. They ran effective actions tailored to the pack line and jumped passing lanes on D when we ran blocker-mover. Coach had watched tape. As others have said, they will be in the mid-100s during the season if they keep it up.

Wasn’t he lighting it up during AAU and that’s why his recruitment took off?!

1 Like

exactly. It’s so strange. Jamie Shaw even went to go watch him and was talking about how smooth Dunn’s shot was. Clearly it got screwed up in the 4 inch growth spurt.

1 Like

Two other quick ones:

• Traudt probably had the cleanest looking shot in pre-game. Really hope he gets a chance for some run.
  • Mckneely’s shot looks totally different from high school. I’m far from an expert but isn’t as aesthetically pleasing now, but it does look quicker.

I have a harder time giving in game assessment because I am too emotionally involved to be unbiased

11 Likes

I’m no shot doctor, but his forms looks okay. The major thing I could tell from watching Perk is that he doesn’t have confidence in it. Hoping it’s an “adjusting to his body” thing. But TM3 seemed to retain the stroke as he got taller…

1 Like

28% usage last night is a solid step forward in my book. His season high in usage last year was 24%. Even if some of that was due to turnovers, that means he was trying to make plays.

6 Likes

Just watch the rotation on the ball when RD shoots. Presently it is not OK at the point of release

4 Likes

No, didn’t watch Baylor. Watched Michigan, Duke, and brief samples of other games.

Point #1 has me worried about Baylor and Houston. Close-ish losses would feel like solid outcomes against them, especially at this point in the season

Coming out of HS I thought his rep was as a shooter so something has gone wrong there.

2 Likes

My thought is you can thank the PGs for not seeing Traudt. Based on Taine getting run, my guess is Tony wanted to play as many guys as he could. He brought in guys off the bench pretty early. But I felt the guards were pretty careless with the ball in the middle 20 of the game. Reece had 4 TOs. Not a great game for him. I remember one glaringly bad TO by Kihei. Say we avoid 3 of those and the game is a lot more comfortable and I think we see Traudt at a minimum.

12 Likes

Wonder if part of this was nerves? I do think it’s different, but also looked awkward and rushed. That would track with his overall poise - he seemed unsure with the ball and a bit shaky.

1 Like

For me the trend is now that everyone is a shooter out of HS. Show some workout tapes etc of getting shots up, highlights of made 3s etc and you get the rep as a “shooter”. As someone said before he did/ is growing so definitely comes into play

Game turned in 1st half when Reece went out with 2 fouls. They cut the lead from 16 to 8 after that (2 were free throws after Reece’s 2nd foul). I don’t remember the 2nd foul but I think it might’ve been one of those 1:1 fast breaks where Reece tried to strip the ball/contest the layup. He’s probably too valuable for us to try to make those plays, even though he seems to have a relatively high success rate with them. Pretty sure he had at least one foul doing that last night

6 Likes

Fan message boards are designed for overreaction and Tuesday morning quarterbacking. What would we be talking about on this thread if we weren’t mired in player hyperbole and minutes dissection?

Everyone would just say “go Hoos!”, log off and LRA wouldn’t have any subscribers. :rofl: :rofl: :joy: :joy:

9 Likes

It’s pretty normal for first years in their first few games to look shaky. Dre did. Ty did. This is a big deal for them and after a couple games they start to get comfortable.

My advice is to reserve making too many judgements until we’re a couple weeks deep into ACC play, in other words, mid-late January. A lot could change between now and then and historically that has happened numerous times.

10 Likes

100 percent. Shaky is the first cousin of excited

4 Likes

Well, among other things, the defense. Was it just me, or did anyone else note that Virginia wasn’t using a hard hedge on screens? For the post part, it seemed to me that they were switching, which led to the mis-matches that allowed their guards to get open looks. I will have to watch the game again tonight to verify these thoughts, but the hard hedge didn’t seem to be in use last night. Maybe Coach Bennett wanted to experiment with a switching defense? Also, while I have been as critical of Kihei Clark as anyone, I did think he showed significant improvement last year. There are/were still holes in his game, but I thought he disguised them well in 2022 and played to his strengths. I know it’s just one game, but I thought he reverted to his 2nd year self last night. Clark dribbling at the top of the key trying to create is not a good look for UVa. Player and ball movement are the keys to success, IMO. I thought that there was too much dribbling while everyone stood around and watched. Of course, that may be just me! And, there is a fine line between standing & watching and floor spacing.

5 Likes
15 Likes