NCAA Tournament Live Thread

Drew is in ecstasy right now

By the end of the game, Baylor’s shooting numbers came down from “on fire” to “pretty good against a top team” but their offensive rebounding stayed beyond elite. I think this game demonstrated some of the downsides of being a transition-heavy team for Gonzaga, they just seemed unwilling to send 5 to the defensive glass and try to stem the bleeding there. Maybe they thought they would give up too much offensively if they did that, but there was a stretch where they were scoring in the half court consistently and didn’t really need the transition points as much.

5 Likes

I really struggle to see why people would root for Baylor’s long and horrific history of various scandals over Gonzaga because… their center flexes his muscles when they’re doing well.

Like seriously Baylor may be the most corrupt higher education institution in the country from an athletics perspective. They make Louisville look like the Little Sisters of the Poor

3 Likes

It didn’t help out that Baylor may be the one team who runs and executes in transition better than the Zags

1 Like

They’ve had scandals in the bball program?

back in the day. That’s how Drew got the job. If I recall one of the players murdered another one and the coach tried to cover it up

2 Likes

In the early 2000s Baylor had a number of terrible scandals involving Dave Bliss. The Baylor Athletic Department clearly took the lessons learned from the Bliss years to heart when they then covered up a number of sexual assaults under Art Briles and the football team. While there is nothing to that level with Scott Drew, he is no saint on the recruiting trail either

The Baylor athletic department on the whole is morally bankrupt and I cannot root for its success in any way shape or form

5 Likes

No doubt, there’s definitely a history of corruption there, and given that it’s been numerous scandals over nearly 20 years, you have to think it goes much deeper than the Athletic Department (ahem Ken Starr)

1 Like

Curious, how did Scott Drew get this reputation?

I think they made a movie about that. Which maybe that was why Drew kept saying “you promised to make a movie about us now”. I can’t remember who he was directing that to. I had one eye open by that point.

1 Like

He was talking about “Glory Road,” the movie about Texas Western winning the 1966 national championship with a starting lineup of all Black players. Nantz had mentioned that Baylor was the second team from Texas to win a championship, with that team being the first and that they made a movie about that team. That’s when Drew started babbling – presumably to some fat cat Baylor booster who’s in the movie business – about making a movie about this team. Somehow, I don’t see this team’s story being quite as compelling as Texas Western’s.

5 Likes

They certainly don’t recruit like a team dropping bags.

It’s not like they’re sporting a team like Tennessee and winning it all. These are kids ranked in the top 100.

Is there a 5 start recruit on this team?

1 Like

They have one coming in next year and have had multiple top ten recruits from 2010-2012

Sounds like they’re winning with culture and system.

1 Like

There’s been smoke around Drew for years. He’s been caught for some stuff, but the rumor mill pegs him as one of the dirtiest around. The linked article gives an idea of how he’s viewed in coaching circles. I know I’ve read more detailed stuff before. There is one article in particular that’s pretty damning. I’ll see if I can dig it up. I have no idea how accurate any of the rumors are. But the Jimmy Swaggart/Jim Bakker reference in the linked piece shows you how lots of guys in the industry view Drew.

1 Like

Another piece giving insight into how Drew is viewed in coaching circles, although this one pre-dates his actually being caught.

1 Like

Nope the comparisons in those stories ends at team from Texas

1 Like

Crazy. I don’t remember any of this, pretty wild. Not sure he’s well liked in the coaching circles - glad we have CTB.

2 Likes

Not that this excuses Drew or any of the other coaches, but I kind of look like recruiting top 30 talent and cheating like steroid use in baseball in the late 90s. If you really want to make noise and be a part of the game you’re probably on something. Sure there are a few doing it right and they are trying to set an example. But there’s also a ton who aren’t doing it right and still bombing out in conference play.

4 Likes

Yeah, the contrast between the way other coaches talk about Tony and Drew is stark. I suspect some of it has to do with the earnestness and humility with which Tony talks about his faith compared to Drew’s exuberance. Fair or not, the way Drew carries himself causes him to be perceived as a snake-oil salesman. One thing is undeniable though–that team Drew built sure knows how to play and was a helluva lot of fun to watch.

4 Likes