Non last Call Duke game thread

Would really like takes on the actual game and plays and strategies etc … seems like that all got swallowed up.

1 Like

Here’s a start:
Points off turnovers - UVA 20 and Duke 8
2nd chance Points - Duke 16 and UVA 2
Fast break points: UVA 7 and Duke 0 … let that one sink in.
Bench points: Duke 27 and UVA 7
Rebounds: Duke 39 and UVA 24
Turnovers: Duke 22 and UVA 9
UVA on fire from the FT line in OT going 6/10…

4 Likes

Said before the game. Duke doesnt have the ability to get up the court fast for easy ones like in the past. That style is what kills us/ the packline

1 Like

Ironically Scheyer’s most effective offense was doing what K often did against us, which is put his best guy at the top of the key and let him attack downhill off a ball screen. Proctor may not be Dook’s best player efficiency-wise but from an eye test he was clearly their most talented guard.

4 Likes

If we just hit our 3PT% for the season and Duke did not shoot the three as well as they did… this game wouldn’t have been even close.

3 Likes

That’s a load right there to take in. I think Fresh hit on it when it talked about Duke’s length, and seeing some of these stats, Duke plays a bit like a throwback team working it inside out and more half court set dominant.

The other stat that jumped out at me is the turnover differential, and then the PTs off TO’s. Hoos left a lot on the board there, not sure how many of those 22 forced TO’s were live ball, so that could change my perspective, but in game it felt like opportunities were missed, also plays back into the quoted stat above.

3 Likes

I thought their selective play of zone was effective. I don’t know what the PPP was for zone vs. man, but you could see us be disrupted/surprised when we realized it was zone on the trips they did it.

3 Likes

Couple of Proctors were extremely well guarded and he somehow got out of trouble last second to score. He was really impressive at times

4 Likes

Yeah, I thought Reece was lockdown on him twice and he still scored. Very skilled.

1 Like

We had 10 steals, so it should be 12 dead ball turnovers for Duke, right? Is there a way for a live ball turnover to happen without it being a steal? Or a way for a steal to somehow be a dead ball turnover?

1 Like

Maybe if their number 30 somehow wasnt big enough to dunk on Reece‼️who is maybe 6-4 thats dead ball TO!!!

Edit: is held ball considered TO?

1 Like

Reece 2-11, iMac 2-7, 4 points, both with low efficiency numbers. They play their normal game we blow Duke out. And make our normal percentage from the free throw line.

It’s interesting, it definitely seemed like Roach smoked us (and he scored well), but he had an efficiency under 100 for the game, which is not great. Proctor at 109. Flip at 11!!! at 23% of possessions. Wow.

5 Likes

That makes sense, changes the perspective a little

If there is a change of possession, then it is considered a turnover for the losing team player and a steal for the gaining team player. If it does not result in a change of possession, then it doesn’t count as anything. Strange rule since the hustle is the same in either instance other than a flip of a coin who has the possession arrow.

5 Likes

So that is a way for a steal to be a dead ball TO. I don’t think there were any change of possession held balls though against Duke.

To be fair their length was an issue with our 3pt shooting and our defensive breakdowns on the other end lead to a lot of wide open 3s.

3 Likes

Around the middle of the 2H, Duke is having a nice stretch where they have a nice 2-man game with Proctor (off of ball screen) and Grandison, Proctor and Whitehead (who played very well in a quick stretch, but otherwise mostly disappeared), etc. but then they reverted to bad offense down the stretch: Flip iso (2x – against Dunn, when will teams learn…), Roach iso. Etc. When you watch Duke offensive possessions, you can see the ticker keep going up – it has been 23 days since a Duke FG…

You can see it in the Stat Broadcast PBP – no FGs from 9:14 to 1:34:
http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=429156

And a random one – at 3:16, Dunn throws a sweet pass to Armaan under the hoop, who misses the bunny, but gets his own and puts it back in. Hoos go up by 3. Key moment.

2 Likes

That play by Armaan was bazar. No one around him even after the miss and put back. Someone completely got lost/ blew an assignment or Armaan is Travis Kelce out there

5 Likes

Grandison lost him, expecting he was gonna pop out, I guess. Then doesn’t bother to go cover him because he assumes he’s just going to make a layup! Proctor who belatedly switches onto him, just kind of assumes the same. Funny little play…

2 Likes

Ha. Exactly

1 Like