Non last Call Duke game thread

I thought our guards would dominate Duke and we would struggle with their bigs. Quite the opposite! Who knows what happens if we play them in ACCT.

4 Likes

Throw in Mark Mitchell who also just watches the play. That guy looks like an amazing athlete but basically seems to have no situational awareness.

3 Likes

I have not gone back to watch the game and confirm my opinion, but I felt like we threw almost everything at stopping Roach and Duke’s bigs at the expense of leaving some open 3s from their other players. And the Duke shooting percentages reflected that. Duke went the exact opposite on us, and our percentages reflected that. Agree with everyone— make at least 50% of our free throws before OT, and this was a comfortable win in regulation.

2 Likes

In that sequence where they scored a few in a row, I definitely think we over-helped on drives. I get that it’s sort of in the defense, but it creates an exploitable little foible.

Then it becomes a game of “can a high major 5th year transfer (Grandison) or a future lottery pick (Whitehead) hit an open three pointer?” Spoiler - the answer is yes, most of the time they can.

3 Likes

What’s the thought on getting out rebounded so much? Athleticism or just a bad game for our guys on the boards?

1 Like

Duke is an excellent offensive rebounding team (#5), just a little bit behind Purdue, Tennessee, UConn, and Houston. We actually held them a touch under their season average of 37.7% offensive rebounding (33.3% against us).

4 Likes

Don’t have the stats in front of me, but feels like it’s followed the trend we’ve seen all season. When the bigs are in they have not rebounded the ball at a high level, and when the small ball lineup is up, they struggle for all the obvious reasons especially when a game where they wasn’t a ton of long ball rebounds that allowed the guards to get involved.

Doesn’t excuse it, but I’m not overwhelming surprised given Duke’s size.

1 Like

yeah the total rebounding number in the Duke game is pretty misleading. All the missed FTs contributed to it. We did a solid job limiting their second chances, although they cashed in on them at a high rate. I think they had 16 second chance points on 9 offensive boards.

12 Likes

Yeah I always just compare team offensive rebounds. With total rebounds you’re mostly comparing how many shots each team missed, rather than rebounding ability. (Better yet would be OR% but if that’s not in the box I’m not gonna calculate it.)

3 Likes

As much as people want to talk about the last play in regulation, the stat that blew me away more than any was 2 points between Flip and Lively. I still can’t believe they managed that few points between those 2 kids.

7 Likes

Did the rewatch during my workout. Small, semi frustrating thing in OT. Gardner had two straight positions where he could e iced it before Armaans 3. First he made a great cut then couldn’t handle the pass for what would’ve been and easy layup. Then next possession missed a wide open baseline jumper. Anyway, that was a little frustrating after his last 3 games.

2 Likes

There’s a similar moment like that with BVP too he has an open lane and instead kicks it. If he connects on the layup it would have iced it. Frustrating but every game has a dozen of those moments if you go down that rabbit hole so I try to avoid it.

4 Likes

BVP had a wide open 3 in the final mins that clanked (like many of his the last 5 games) and so did Clark. We missed more than a few chances to put this one away well before the appropriate buzzer wave offf.

2 Likes

And then we were up 5 and gave up a Roach layup in semi transition … the next possession was a killer… we actually gave up the Hunter vs Texas Tech corner 3 for Duke to tie it … gotta guard the arc when up 3 in the last minute… forces the other team to use 2 possessions to catch up.

7 Likes

Yea but Reece and Kehei don’t need to be afraid to shoot the open 3 just because they have missed one .That possession where BVP clanks one both Kehei and Reece had shots but didnt take them. I think it was Kehei that passed the ball to BVP who immediately clanks one. I would definitely rather have Kehei or Reece take the 3 than BVP unless he is hot and it’s been several games now since he was

3 Likes

Glad Armaan aint afraid

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 32 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.