OT: 90’s hip hop/R&B thread…

His son who is like 25 plays with my little kids some. And you cant make this up; he gave them each a pair of numb chucks when they were like 4. Wuuuuuuu

3 Likes

That’s really the coolest non-sports thing ever to me.

3 Likes

Lol…this one popped up on my playlist yesterday at the gym.

Speaking of Plan 9, wasn’t there one out on Seminole Trail too?

4 Likes

Oh snap Plan 9 I totally forgot about that spot. There was one on Seminole Trail but rumor was the one on the corner always had the better finds.

2 Likes

Corner was definitely better. Way different vibe out at Seminole Trail. You could hit the Charlottesville library, ACAC, and then Plan 9 in one swoop and it was a very similar demographic. But also wayyyyyy easier to get to once you became a townie because of the parking.

2 Likes

Yup I used to do tae kwon do in the summers out there and afterwards i was supposed to go to the library and read while I waited for my ride. Most days I’d go for a min then I’d sneak over to plan 9 amd browse. I was like 11 or 12 so i had no money. On the last day my ride caught me running back to the library. He was cool and didnt tell my mom though.

But if you could go to the one on the corner then you had street cred in homeroom

5 Likes

Plan 9 on the Corner…my refuge from school, other than the radio station…loved that place…

Just wanted to give a shout out to two groups I absolutely loved…may not totally fit the narrative here, but I played the he’ll outta them…Massive Attack’s Blue Lines, Protection, and Mezzanine…RIP trip-hop. Soul II Soul, too…so smooth and groovy…

3 Likes

Soul 2 Soul unreal call. took me back and is timeless

1 Like

Truly is…still stands up to this day. I used to work for U Union as a DJ for events, mostly mixers and stranger dances at 1st year dorms…Back 2 Life was a very popular choice, every single time…

2 Likes

How many mix tapes @DFresh11 have with this cut?

Well you know what song is in my head now. my cable has some random station ONE or some shit and they do all these programs called UNsung which is always these kinda groups featured. Is awesome to say the least

Also this song insinuates way too much commitment for me

1 Like

Absolutely hated this song when it came out but it certainly encapsulates that era of R&B for me

2 Likes

Oh man that song is brutal @TheVanillaGorilla

@DFresh11 brotha from anotha my man

1 Like

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread BUT I discovered this podcast and if you’re a fan of the golden era of hip-hop, you have to check it. So many great behind the scenes stories:

7 Likes