šŸŗ Beer Fanatics Only

@HooRick Seriously check out CAMRA: https://camra.org.uk/ ā€¦ Real Ales are the best.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome. Itā€™s on my list of places to go back to. My wife and I were talking about going to the UK this winter to visit some friends etc. and Iā€™d definitely want to pass through Bath. Honestly Iā€™ve not spent much time in England for all my trips over there, so thereā€™s a lot I havenā€™t explored yet.

1 Like

This is great, I love this topic!

In college, it seems, we had Milwaukieā€™s Best and Beast Lite. Raspberry and Blueberry, as my fraternity brothers used to say. I think the best place to have something different in the late 90ā€™s was Mikeā€™s Bistro. I think they had Abita, and Guinness, etc.

When I moved to Portland, I really got into it. At the time it was Bridgeport, which was a low alcohol IPA that was really well-balanced. However, that was like 2002, and the scene exploded from there. I donā€™t know when it got out of control for me for the IPAā€™s, started trying a lot of different styles. I loved ESBā€™s, but I noticed that brewers stopped making them and was told by some brewers that they werenā€™t in demand. I love PDX beers, and there are a ton of great breweries. However, I shy away from the 7+% beers. My current favorite is Breakside. But in Portland, itā€™s like trying to say which is your favorite kid.

Nowadays, I live in AZ, which is hot. Itā€™s hard to drink anything other than a Pilsner, Kolsch, etc. for about 7-8months of the year. I got into the NEIPAā€™s a bit, mostly from visiting Richmond and Charlottesville. I think Veil, Triple Crossing, etc. out of Richmond are some of my favorite breweries anywhere. I have friends that send things out to me every once in awhile. A decent local scene is at Pueblo Vida in Tucson. Besides that, I tend to drink San Diego breweries as they distribute out here and we drive out every so often.

In the winter, Iā€™ve been trying some stouts, porter, and barrel-aged stuff recently. Last year my friend sent me some stouts from Hardywood which kicked off that craze. Waiting for it to cool down here to try some different stuff. @jazznutUVA, its always been a dream of mine to get over to Germany and try some stuff. I heard its great!

1 Like

You guys are Tu Real for me in the beera game but I will add this bad boy to the discussion for funā€¦

4 Likes

Incredible, thats a great resource!

Aw man, the memoriesā€¦

1 Like

Ah manā€¦ Thatā€™s getting dangerous right there. There was a definite time I was not above throwing a few back.

1 Like

PDX was my first introduction into microbrews and flavorful beer. I even applied for a job at Redhook way back in the day because I wanted to learn brewing (and avoid getting an office job)

1 Like

Kƶlsch is interesting. It originated from Cologne/Kƶln and when you visit there, itā€™s the only beer you can get when you go to a restaurant. They serve it in ā‚¬1 flutes and will continue to replace them as you finish them without you asking unless you put a beer coaster on the top or turn the glass upside down.

They are very snooty about itā€¦ I asked one waiter why I couldnā€™t just have a half liter and he looked at me all condescending and said ā€œWhy would you want your beer to get all warm and nasty because I poured you a half liter and you couldnā€™t drink it fast enough when it was cold?ā€

The Head Brewer at Hardywood was a classmate of mine in High School.

Germany is all really clean crisp beersā€¦ from Bayern/Bavaria where it is very smooth, almost American lager tasting Helles, and progressively gets more bitter as you head north towards Berlinā€¦ where they also do the icky Lambic beers. Blech. If you like your Pils, Helles, Alt, Keller and Wheat beers, youā€™ll be in for a treat. If you like the more aromatic beers w/ spices and additional flavors, you may not German beer at all and should go to France and Belgium.

2 Likes

Canā€™t believe I forgot about this one when I was naming stouts @jazznutUVA Just saw one in my Fridge, now sure if they still make it but they had them over the winter and was a smooth finisher.

2 Likes

Niceā€¦ what brewery is that one?

Itā€™s Cherry Street Brewing. Like I said before theyā€™re my favorite brewery around right now.

2 Likes

Budweiser but if Iā€™m gonna start drinking in the morning Bud Light.

3 Likes

define morning. and 100 percent would guessed Durty Nellies beer would be Buds

2 Likes

Where I lived in Englandā€¦ there was a Budweiser distribution plant in the townā€¦ the folks that worked there told me even though they did, they wouldnā€™t touch that ā€œpiss waterā€ with a 10 foot pole. LOL!

My local Edeka (think Safeway) had a stand w/ ā€œBudweiser - King of Beersā€ when you walked in right at the beginning of the COVID quarantineā€¦ no one bought any and they had to keep lowering the price until it pretty much went skunky. LOL!

2 Likes

Miller High Life has always been my weak spot. Nothing beats an ice cold bottle.

2 Likes

Does Miller High Life still exist?

2 Likes

Oh it does, and thereā€™s nothing quite like it while sitting on your porch on a hot day.

2 Likes

My All Time Favorite. In Barbados though. If you ever see this one scoop as many as you can and get em cold

3 Likes

Dragon, my dudeā€¦ā€œThe Champagne of Beersā€

Grilling out and having one on a beautiful evening Glade Hill, VA

4 Likes