šŸŗ Beer Fanatics Only

I love tacos, although the fact that the Great British Bake-off had the contestants make tacos got me all fired up. Thatā€™s cooking, not baking. The whole episode was just a mess too for many other reasons. Anyway, doubt many LRA folks are GBBO watchers, but I thought you all should know that they managed to make me upset about tacos!

5 Likes

Need the LRA consensus on Virginia white sauce at mexican restaurants

https://www.pilotonline.com/food-drink/article_fe7119ba-6c23-11e9-be4f-1f7a7c9f8291.html

4 Likes

Iā€™ve never had it, but Iā€™m generally pro-sauce.

2 Likes

My wife watches it on our Sky UK boxā€¦ I was not happy about Mexican either. LOL!

2 Likes

The first challenge was fine and a great Mexican baked good. But then doing tacos in a baking competition was an embarrassing choice when Mexico has a bunch of great baked things you could actually choose from if you put any thought into it. And for the final challenge having them make Tres Leches cake was solid, but forcing them to make it a multi-tiered cake was idiotic. Thatā€™s not a thing people do. Itā€™s a cake that is soaked through - itā€™s not meant to be structural. Itā€™s not really honoring the thing youā€™re making if you force people to do things nobody would ever do with it.

Only episode Iā€™ve been more annoyed by was the American baking week they did way back. The pie challenge was an abomination that left me scared.

Anyway, thatā€™s GBBO hot takes with MaineWahoo.

1 Like

The trick is to mix with with the queso. A 757 essential

2 Likes

Arrgghh we just started the episode last night donā€™t spoil it!!

2 Likes

Having lived right outside of Oxford for 3-yearsā€¦ one of my biggest pet peeves is when they pronounce the two LLs in Paellaā€¦

2 Likes

I generally try not to be too hard on folks for pronunciations because theyā€™re hard (and Iā€™m terrible at pronouncing many things), or at least as long as people make an effort. But man, some of the pronunciations of pico de gallo and guacamole from this latest episode might get people arrested in some countries.

And thatā€™s all Iā€™ll spoil @BDragon!

3 Likes

British people are terrible at pronouncing things. Thatā€™s why for hundreds of years, Indian folks were saying Mumbai, and the Brits thought they heard Bombay.

2 Likes

White sauce for mexican never. Thats the mysterious sauce on street meat halaal style

3 Likes

White sauce for Hibachi however is on point.

You eat street meat but are afraid of a little white sauce?

Love me some Halal Guys. Glad they opened up a couple of shops in NOVA.

2 Likes

You missed the point. Dont mix n match. White sauce is ok on halaal street meat but never ever tacos

1 Like

At least in RVA itā€™s just used for chips. I actually hadnā€™t seen it outside Richmond.

1 Like

Oh that white sauce on chips has been in Lynchburg for 20 years or more.

2 Likes

The Subway I go to for quick meals in Kuwait City is Halalā€¦ I went down the rabbit hole years ago on it to research the difference between Halal and Kosher because they seemed similar in their preparationsā€¦ so based on my Elementary researchā€¦ there are only two major differences (lots of minor ones)ā€¦

#1 In Halal rules you cannot consume alcohol (or beer :cry:) but you can eat meat and dairy together.

#2 In Kosher rules you CAN consume alcohol but you CANā€™t eat meat and dairy together.

Kosher for the default win in the Beer Fanatics Only threadā€¦ amiright?

9 Likes

Iā€™m the least kosher Jew aroundā€¦ I was looking up new pork butt recipes last night :rofl:

This one seemed intriguing:

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/sticky-sweet-grilled-pork-shoulder#intcid=inline_amp

5 Likes

Cheers from Blue Mountain Brewery

12 Likes