Podcast with Sam Hauser and Grant Kersey is up

3 Likes

Argh where was this when I was stuck in an airport yesterday? No worries, it will make for a good Friday afternoon distraction

2 Likes

Great work guys. Hauser sounds very excited to get back on the court and gets of course lotta time to aclimate and work on his own game this year.

2 Likes

Im sorry but we do not look good at all. On the road or at home. I do think this is TB best coaching season ever. He is getting the maximum out of guys that are not playing well. I have no idea how anyone can say we look good the way we shoot and turn the ball over. TB is coaching his butt off but this year has been very frustrating. I will debate anyone who think differently.

What I have seen (when the games are actually on TV) is that players have made huge strides in the past 5 games. Kihei has learned when to penetrate and how to be effective. Jay Huff had vastly improved on defense doing the necessary things and rebounding. Diakite has learned how to lead more naturally than forcing it as he seemed to try and do early on. Tomas is maybe 40 percent from 3 in last 5 games or so. Braxton is going to have break out perfomances on both ends this last stretch of season and Casey will find his role this year.

In short Tony and the coaches know who this team is and have accepted it and adjusted to where we have been in every game but 2 all year. It has translated to wins and we will see what happens from here.

Not saying we are great but the record is not BAD at all.

2 Likes

Excellent post but that wasnt the topic. I agree, guys are improving. I don’t agree about a few players you mentioned but we are improving. Which is what you just touch on. But we are far from looking good. Far far from it. Which was my topic from the podcast. Im not discussing the future but only the present and past. This team is not looking good.

What podcast so I can respond better Tu?

This one. The gentleman TW said we are looking good and will be dangerous in the tournament. Im not sure about his last statement but man can I give evidence that his first statement is wrong.

I really can’t call this Tonys best coaching job when we have one of the worst offenses in all of basketball. I understand there are some serious personnel issues but that is true of other teams too and they manage to have half functional offenses

Good shit that you listened man. I dont think
any of us have said it’s been pretty at all and we have been spoiled as fans in this era in every way and for good reason. TW was saying we are looking good compared to early looking ugly. I personally think the coaches and team know who they are at this point which is a good look.

Being said I am not disputing you on this but the improvements and adjustments have looked good.

1 Like

Yeah I think this is the point everyone can agree on. They’ve found their identity and established roles now. There’s a floor in place that wasn’t even a few weeks ago. Unfortunately the inability to score consistently puts in a low ceiling too.

2 Likes

The turnovers are driving me crazy. We should only have one loss and thats tu Purdue. If we keep our turnovers down, we would be undefeated in the ACC. We had six straight turnovers at the end of the first half against Florida State. I think this is TB best coaching job because I really think some of our players are not built for the ACC and TB have these players competing in every game. If they could knock down OPEN shots, jumpers and layups, our offense would be MUCH MUCH better. Im trying not tu say names but man we missed tu many layups. Yes Doug we are improving but our improvement still have us at a very low standard. I do think we can become q better team. We have guys that can perform better, including Casey. I’m just not sure it will all come tugether.

1 Like

I hear ya @TUGARD, I meant it in regard to my statement. I’m just hoping we make it to the tournament. Should’ve said we looked better… We did a roundtable today that goes a little deeper. I’ll post it tonight!

3 Likes

No doubt fam and thankyou. I think one huge mistake was not getting a grad transfer point guard. Bless kihei heart but he need help and rest. I been suggesting right before each half at the 8 minute tv timeout. Put Chase in the game for kihei. Hopefully Chase can give him 2 minute rest court time and rest during the timeout. I think that can really help kihei and his play. I love his fight and heart. This is why its so hard tu say anything negative about him. So I won’t do that up here. LOL. I just hope our guys can start tu click. We have enough talent tu have a good year. I say sweet 16 good. We just need tu hit open shots and get rid of those horrible turnovers. I can’t see why that can’t be accomplished.

1 Like

We are on same page Tu no doubt. Agree on turnovers for sure but am just saying, from what I see, it is being addressed specifically by guys like Kihei doing MUCH better and has made strides in handling that.

I also think the coaching is great on this team. Give any other coach a team with an offensive efficiency rating of #326 in the country and they would lose almost every game. We are 15-6 and 4th in the ACC, just as predicted. And 4 of those loses could of easily been W’s.
I know I’m an optimist, So I will switch gears for a sec and focus on the problems. Shooting is THE problem…in my opinion turnovers are a side effect of poor shooting…So how do we fix bad outside shooting…Unfortunately I think at this point in the season, time is the only remedy and we are running short on that. I just think we have to find other ways to score…The coach as tried everything and this is the team we have. Higher than usual turnovers are a result of Kihei being forced to make more risky plays. Safe kick out passes for open shots, or a kyle guy sprinting off a screen for an open 3 is not an option for Kihei. This dude has one of the toughest jobs in the country having a offense ranked #326 and playing ACC level teams every night with little rest. Inch for inch he is the hardest working player with the most heart of anyone playing basketball in the NCAA.
So I dont think there are any coaching issues here except that Tony Bennett wasnt fully prepared for winning a National Championship and suffering the awful repercussions of this catastrophy. Poor guy. haha You dont go from top 5 in offensive efficiency to 326 because of bad coaching. There are lots of new players out there lacking experience. We just got to hang in there for the ride and be understanding of the situation. It looks like my point of view lines up with you guys except @TUGARD if you focus solely on the offense of this team, its going to drive you crazy…yeah, #326, but how many people think UVA offense for forever stay at #326? Perhaps for this year which is disappointing. But lets not forget also this defense…Ranked #1! and thats with three new starters. Im impressed.

2 Likes

How your point dont line up tu what I said. I also said this is TB best coaching job. I also said kihei is playing tu many minutes. I also said Kihei is a warrior. With all that being said, because of the bad shooting and turnovers, we are not playing well. We should have won the Clemson game easily and I have no idea why teams dont press us and play zone. If I was the other team, I would pack the lane and allow everyone except Mamadi tu have an open shot until proven other wise. It will have tu be a match up zone. On offense I would run kihei ragged. Have him go thru multiple screens and attack him all the time. Press him full court with a long and quick wing. But back tu my reason for posting. I’m very proud of the job TB is doing. Trust me I would say if I didn’t. Like I said the other day. He had us in every game except Purdue. That is incredible with this team. I’m hoping things will click and we will start playing alot better. But I will not be fake and say we look good. Its very hard watching us play most of the time and many people are thinking this but afraid tu say it. GO HOOS

2 Likes

Dont disagree with any of this Tu. Only at end of the day not sure what your point is. Tony coaching is unreal or our players arent ACC level? Our team is what it is and the guys have improved a lot this year.

I would play us the same as opponents as you said Tu

Hey Tu, I think I mostly agreed with most of the points you made. End of my statement the only thing Im trying to say was addressing your frustration with this years team. You said some things like “We dont look good at all” and “The turnovers are driving me crazy.” All Im saying is simply we do have some great things going our way in addition to our shortcomings.

Changing the subject here. So just wanted to respectfully ask about the “tu” theme. I was trying to guess the other day. Best idea I had was you used to play a 2 guard on the court hence TUGARD. Anyway, Not trying to be too nosey, but I was just a little curious.

1 Like