šŸ—ŗ Potential ACC Expansion & Conference Realignment

I asked this question last year during realignment. I still donā€™t know the answerā€¦

Hereā€™s what I donā€™t understand, why is ACC basketball so undervalued? ESPNā€™s average regular season basketball game had a viewership of 1,376,000. ESPNā€™s average regular season football game had a viewership of 1,733,000. So, yes, football had a higher viewership per game; however, basketball has almost twice as many games shown per season. As such, shouldnā€™t basketball be considered just as valuable as football?

6 Likes

Have to ask someone else but I think the length of game and mix of viewers may have something to do with it.

More ads are sold in a 3 - 4 hour block over a 2 hour block
Premium on young males for ads?

4 Likes

The Big 12 commissioner said something similar. Bball is 25% of the conferenceā€™s TV value and they arenā€™t getting paid properly for it. Heā€™s looking to get that changed going forward (that was one of the reasons they were flirting with UCONN and Gonzaga).

2 Likes

I agree. I am a little concerned about expansion fatigue in the Big 10. There seemed to be some reluctance to add Oregon and Washington, despite their brand profile and fitting the academic profile of the conference. Basically Oregon and Washington gave the Big 10 a deal they couldnā€™t refuse, but it didnā€™t seem like the universities were excited about expanding to 18.

So in Europe there was, and I emphasize was, an ESPNPlayer that was just shut down which had the rights to the ACC Networkā€¦ it was 80ā‚¬ a year and I got all the ACC/B1G/other conference feeds along with feeds from other broadcast networks that ESPN owned the rights for in Europe. They shut it down unexpectedly in recently and refunded everyone any credit they had left.

In Germany, they also have DAZN which gets some games from time to timeā€¦ and when I lived in the UK they had a sports channel called Setanta Sports that was purchased by ESPN and rebranded ESPN UK, so ocassionally there would be a US college basketball game on there.

AFN does have a relationship with all of them, but it is really hit or miss when they broadcast it. I actually got rid of my AFN receiver many years ago because I had a SD receiver and you had to buy $400 HD receiver for your feed to keep working. It wasnā€™t worth it, so I havenā€™t had AFN for a long time.

Schools in Europe do not field teams that anyone cares about like the US. It is very much an American phenomenon to consume and pay for Intercollegiate athletics.

5 Likes

Sorta related to football revenue and what not, found this interesting. Not even UConn womens bball or LSU gymnastics

separate article but also on Nebraska Volleyball

6 Likes

Thanks man. Interesting info.

Although if you donā€™t get AFN anymore, where do your kids get critical infomercials about how they should never give full power of attorney to their spouse while deployed overseas? Are they just missing out on these essential life lessons?

2 Likes

Didnt get to read the article but did it take into account the individual earning power? That could be a major distinction

Doesnt do much for the school though in terms of revenue unless players are re-investing their earnings into their programs? Which I doubt.

1 Like

There was one the year before we stopped watching itā€¦ the commercial was a dude walking around the basement with a box and the light bulb poppedā€¦ you then heard him fall down with crashing noisesā€¦

The moral of the commerical: donā€™t move boxes when it is darkā€¦ you may get hurt.

My second favoriteā€¦ if you are deployed, do not take war trophies unless JAG says it is okayā€¦ with this dude walking around his house FULL of war trophies. LOL!

2 Likes

From the first article. ā€œAmong volleyball programs, only five teams besides Nebraska lost less than $1 million in 2022 ā€” NC State, Virginia, North Carolina, UConn and Clemson.ā€

I remember we hired a Nebraska assistant to be our coach a few coaches ago. As heā€™s not here, that hire didnā€™t work out so well. After reading these stories, I wonder if our head coaching position (or most any head job) isnā€™t a bit of a downgrade from being a Nebraska assistant.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s my point a program could be non-profitable but still have million dollar athletes on it. I believe thatā€™s the case with LSU gymnastics and basketball.

4 Likes

Tangentially related, but while weā€™re talking LSU womenā€™s sports and money, came across this earlier

As someone who works in Louisiana politics I remember when they did this and itā€™s one of the least surprising things that happens down there.

3 Likes

People associate ā€œhonest graftā€ with Tammany Hall, but itā€™s been a time-honored tradition in Louisiana since its purchase in 1803!

3 Likes

Was he the one who, according to rumor, was overly friendly with the players?

Thereā€™s a reason why Robert Penn Warren has a smash hit with All The Kingā€™s Men. Itā€™s a wild incestuous pool of fun down there between EBR and NOLA.

2 Likes

No, well before him. Looks like heā€™s an assistant at Colorado now. Funny that his bio doesnā€™t mention his record here and that his head coach experience is buried in 2 paragraphs, but thereā€™s like 10x as much written about his various assistant stints. Lee Maes - Volleyball Coach - University of Colorado Athletics

2 Likes

I hear you, have some family in Baton Rouge. One is actually a professor at LSU. Have definitely heard some of the strange stuff that goes on there

1 Like

Ah, yeah, the guy I was thinking of was like 2016-2018 or something.

Its kinda wild that the UVA Volleyball Team Record year-by-year page at UVASports.com stops at 2011. I meanā€¦ really? I guess someone under Maes was the one who put it together.