đŸ—ș Potential ACC Expansion & Conference Realignment

I can see it now. UVA was lined up to get the final spot in one of the mega conferences, then Scheyer told that conference that he had their back and some brotherhood bullshit, and they flipped to Duke at the last minute.

8 Likes

Some ACC scheduling discussion (what do we do now with the bigger conference) for those into that kind of thing:

1 Like

I’m glad to see that LRA has confidence in Carla - The Sabre does nothing but shit on her. I think she has done a good job and agree that she is well-connected and respected.

Also, pretty sure the main reason Wally was hired was for NIL reasons. That’s going to be his main focus.

10 Likes

Per Wikipedia (somewhat paraphrased):

After ending his NBA career in 1984, Walker enrolled in Stanford Graduate School of Business, graduating in 1987 with an MBA. He worked for seven years at Goldman Sachs and also started his own money management business, Walker Capital, before returning to the NBA in the early 90s as a part-time television announcer and consultant for his former team, the Seattle SuperSonics, owned by Barry Ackerley. Following the 1993-94 NBA season, Walker was named by Ackerley to be President and General Manager of the team, a position he held for 12 years.

NIL may be his focus, but hard to imagine a more respected guy in UVa’s athletic department. Super accomplished and very connected.

12 Likes

Exactly that. These things translate

6 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Virginia Volleyball 2023

I assume this won’t go anywhere soon but it’s got everybody huffing and puffing today.

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1737835801529192795

6 Likes

Live look in on one of the FSU Board of Trustee members

Hissy Fit Crying GIF by Nickelodeon

8 Likes

After months of people banging around about it, I’m fascinated to see what legal argument they’re going to claim prevents the ACC from setting them on fire financially.

5 Likes

I’m beginning to think the FSU snub was a calculated effort to kill the ACC:

Those concerns were only underscored when CFP executive director Bill Hancock wrote in a letter to U.S. Sen. Rick Scott (R-Fla.) about the Florida State snub that the Seminoles did not have a strong enough strength of schedule and described the ACC as a “so-called Power 5 conference.” While Hancock later clarified that statement, Florida State officials took that phrase as a slap to the ACC.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39160799/florida-state-calls-special-board-meeting-amid-uncertain-future HB

3 Likes

https://x.com/EmbracePaceUVA/status/1737838597741629488?s=20

indiana jones waiting GIF

13 Likes

They don’t have their own copy? Wtf?

9 Likes

It’s the sand bag in Indy’s hand
 duh!

2 Likes

It’s weird. Every time they go to the ACC offices
Phyllis, who has the only key to the copier room
is always on break.

I guess they just get tired of waiting, and hop back in the Time Machine, and return to 2023 every time.

9 Likes

I think that’s intentional by all parties to prevent a FOIA disclosure in one of the states with a public school.

5 Likes

That makes sense. Here’s more from Thamel’s ESPN+ article:

They are one of many ACC programs that have done so, as copies are not permitted outside league offices.

6 Likes

And this is in the same ESPN+ article, further down (after noting that it’s not clear either of the big 2 conferences really want FSU):

The part that few are saying out loud about FSU is that it – along with Clemson – are likely not the most coveted ACC schools in the eyes of the Big Ten and SEC. Both North Carolina and Virginia represent new markets and states for both leagues. They are also contiguous states, which the SEC has always valued. It’s a competitive battleground that allows one league to expand north to new markets and another to potentially go south.

While Virginia and UNC aren’t in the same hemisphere as Clemson and FSU in football, they do add robust new markets and fertile recruiting grounds for two competitive leagues and commissioners who want to capture those areas.

And further down about whether other schools would follow FSU out the door (Clemson and UNC discussed prominently first):

Miami certainly falls in line with the financially aggrieved in the ACC, but it doesn’t appear poised for any immediate action. Virginia has done modest exploration but is not as far down the road as some of the other ACC schools. Schools like NC State and Virginia Tech have had all the discussions, but the available spots on the Power 2 dance card are clearly limited.

8 Likes

Nobody can actually gaze directly upon the GoR. You can go to the ACC headquarters and consult with officials who have studied it and read the many interpretations of it that they have written, but you cannot actually see the GoR.

Leave It Alone Raiders Of The Lost Ark GIF by Indiana Jones

7 Likes

“Don’t look at it, Marion! Shut your eyes!”

9 Likes

Word on the street is the GOR is being handled by top men

5 Likes