Preseason Thread

Have you heard that either Casey or Kody is shooting well? Or that Jabri is picking up the defense and ready to play? Because I haven’t heard any of those things and one of them needs to be true for this team to be a legit title contender.

The whole Jabri defense thing seems way overblown simply because of one comment by J Willy. Jabri is going to be a good defender.

7 Likes

Eh the concerns existed before J Willy said anything. Jabri didn’t have a reputation as a defender and then missed basically his entire senior year with an injury. And now he has to pick up the packline without a normal offseason at a size and position where he is frequently going to be defending future NBA players. It’s a legitimate concern. Not like Hauser where Sam has already proven himself to be a good team defender at the power conference level.

Kyle guy, ty Jerome, and many others didn’t have reputations as defenders coming in either. The pack line is also much easier for guards/wings to learn than it is for bigs. If Woldo and Stattman can figure it out as quickly as they did then I’m not worried at all about Jabri. He’s much more athletic than both of them and based off what he’s said since committing he seems to understand the buy in that is necessary on that end.

3 Likes

Right and Kyle and Ty played 19 and 13 minutes per game as freshman. We either need Jabri to be ready for more than that or we need Casey or Kody to be able to shoot to be a national title contender. If Murphy is actually out, Tony only plays Jabri 15 minutes per game, and Casey and Kody still shoot below 30% I have some bad news for anyone expecting a Final Four. Hence my initial question to Tu.

Yea tu I’m 17. Story gonna be out in the next day or so.

2 Likes

Well this stinks
https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status/1330544925855911937?s=21

4 Likes

I’m really starting to lose hope that we’re gonna have a season. I desperately hope this fear is misplaced

Not being an ass but would we say Ty and Kyle left as being known as defenders? or is it for the guards so much about the system. My opinion on the pack line, and am not close to an expert, is it is much tougher for the bigs to “get it” than the guards.

6 Likes

No, but they became solid enough defenders while they were at UVA. Obviously the system is a big part of that which is why I’m not at all worried about Jabri on that end. I’m far more concerned with rebounding and Jay not having Mamadi next to him on defense than I am about Jabri.

Going to be cancellations. It’s they should’ve started the season earlier to give wiggle room to make up games.

Crap. Wonder if there’s any one else in the bubble we could slide into that spot

Yea we agree I think. And definitely agree on the rebounding front. That part is gonna have to be 5 player effort

1 Like

Bennett teams always rebound. Bennett teams can’t always score. Jay posted above 20% for his rebound rate last year. Concern is offense. Most years you need to be top 15 in both offensive and defensive efficiency to win a title. We know we will be top 15 on defense. The offense is the concern.

2 Likes

So there is another 4 team tournament In the Mohegan bubble with Nova, Baylor, Arizona St and BC. They play Wednesday and Thursday. Maybe we could convince Baylor to stay and play us Friday or Saturday?

3 Likes

That’s a thought. More likely maybe ASU since they’ll likely lose to Baylor Wed

1 Like

One of those teams would need to be below 27 games to add another.

1 Like

Yeah it’s interesting, outside of Malcolm, I wouldn’t say any of our NBA hoos have played above-average NBA defense.

And that includes Dre. Reddish was a better defender this year than Dre.

1 Like

I think the Florida cancellation is part of the Flo Sports marketing scheme.

I was fine not paying knowing I’d see the Hoos on Friday. But now…

1 Like

I don’t think the Florida thing is a surprise. There’s been mumbles for the last week or so that the Mohegan event wouldn’t go down.